• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Pipit, Scotland (1 Viewer)

myoudale

Hi Guys,

Was searching through some images and stumbled across this pic. I thought tree pipit so was wondering what you guys thought.

Ta

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4468.JPG
    IMG_4468.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 124
Looks like you have a tree pipit ...the streaking down the chest is less obvious on Tree than on Meadow. On a Meadow Pipit the streaks are thicker as they go down the flanks. Can't see on the picture but the white on the coverts is always a good indication too....obvious jizz ans song help more. Tree Pipit looks a little skinnier than Meadow (taller if you like) Only doubt is the bill as it looks quite long for tree pipit so I'm not 100% sure and would like a side pic to see the white on the coverts or not.

For me this bird is a Meadow Pipit. The head markings aren't strong enough- would expect some super on a Tree, thr breast streaking looks too irregular and blotchy, the bill perhaps too long (although worryingly thick based), and the overall ground coloration looks a shade too 'grey' for Tree. That said, I'm viewing on a phone screen in bright light so am prepared to be corrected!

That's two of us that have put a get out of jail clause in..If you put me on the spot i'd say Meadow too.( I know i was thinking Tree but as you can see I kind of talked myself out of it half way and you make a good point about the super Dan) You can't under estimate how much you get from the jizz of the bird can you.

Thanks all, I can see meadow pipit but guess was put off with the long heavy looking bill and the super with that white splodge behind the eye but thanks all for commenting. Show sometime how more difficault it is to id a bird from picture and not in the field.

Looks like a Meadow pipit to me (blotch on chest). Also, if this is a bird on breeding territory, the fact that it is perched on a gorse bush suggests meadow pipit habitat rather than tree pipit. However, if it is a passage migrant, habitat is irrelevant.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back