• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Opticron ES 80 GA ED (1 Viewer)

Burruchaga

Hi all,

I've just bought a second hand Opticron ES 80. Much of my research was based on past reviews of this scope on these pages, so thank you all!

Anyhow, I still need to get a tripod for this scope. Can anyone make any recommendations on a good quality (but not too expensive) tripod that would accompany this scope?

Hi Burruchaga,

These are pretty good value for money.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/velbon_tripod.htm

Hi,

I used to have this tripod with my ES80, but I found it not substantial enough and it once toppled over in wind (luckiiy I caught it before it fell). I'm 5ft10 and had to have the centre column extended a few inches which reduced the stability. I changed over to a Manfrotto 055 with 128RC head, I didn't need to extend the column at all and it was very stable, the head is also much better giving more resistance and a smoother panning action. It is a bit more expensive though - around £170 on amazon but you may be able to pick up something a bit cheaper if you shop around.

Perry

Velbon Sherpa 600R. Well worth a look.

My big Hawke 85ED sits on it all nice and safe, and I love the 'one handle to control them all' simplicity.

Last edited:
I've recently bought an XFS-A Birdwatcher. Using a Manfrotto ball and socket head it's working well so far. I don't need to extend the center column either (I'm 6' tall). I would have gone for the carbon version but pennies didn't allow.

Obviously this tripod works with the Opticron hide clamp.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/xfs_tripods.html

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back