Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 21st April 2003, 14:56   #1
erik
cheesehead

early trip profit

Hey everyone,

Finally some time for birding again. My studentteaching takes lots of time and so, now with easter i had a free morning. I left my parents house at 6.10 by bike. Biked about 6 miles to a nice reservation. Because it was so early there were no human beings around but me. My first surprise was a male hen harrier on a roadlight along a road in an industrial area. Pretty cool start. when i entered the reservation a rosefinch (i mean bullfinch but for the understanding of the replies i'll leave it this way:)) crossed my path and there were blackbirds ALL over the place. When i parked my bike i walked along and soon i saw many jays flying around searching for nest materials. They are still stunning birds to me! On a small moorlake were some tufted ducks and a pair of little grebe. As well as an Egyptian goose which scared away all the mallards. As i walked on there was all this sounds in the fallen trees and soon i found out there were a lot of mice wandering around. I saw one Hazelmouse (?) from pretty close. The GS Woodpeckers were hammering everywhere and the pheasants were courting so i heard. I followed the sound and was suddenly scared by the sound right behind me. Two pheasants chased after each other fighting for the hen. She was the smartest and flew away. A Hare was at 10 feet distance but decided to stay where he was.
Later on a Goshawk flew over my head and disappeared behind the trees. More sightings this morning:

Deer
Lesser Whitethroat
Nightingale
and the normal stuff: finches, tits and so on.

I as well donated some blood to early mosquitos, luckily the ticks weren't showing yet.

This was my three hour trip. I had a splendid day, i hope you all can say the same about your Easter weekend!

Last edited by erik : Monday 21st April 2003 at 15:41.
Old Monday 21st April 2003, 15:11   #2
Michael Frankis
conehead

Hi Erik,

Nice trip!! Nice to know I'm not the only birder who uses a bike to go birding!

Is the 'Hazelmouse' a Hazel Dormouse (Muscardinus avellanarius)?

A Rosefinch is very early, I thought they did not usually arrive in Europe until mid or even late May? Could it be something else (what is the Dutch or Latin name of the bird you saw??) - Rosefinch is Roodmus in Dutch.

Wish I got Nightingales here, but I'm too far north :-((( But I saw two Ring Ouzels (Beflijster) a couple of days ago, I guess they are not so common in the Netherlands?

At least no mosquitos here yet!

Happy Easter,

Michael
Old Monday 21st April 2003, 15:40   #3
erik
cheesehead

Hey Michael, Question:
How come you know any dutch names???
About the mouse, i don't know too much about mice so i guess it might be what you wrote down. It's Hazelmuis in dutch, since you might know that as well :)
About the rose finch, i made a mistake indeed...i thought i knew the english birdnames by heart yet, but once again i failed
It was a bullfinch...
About the bike: Since i dont have money for a drivers-license i use a bike as transportation. Being dutch it quite fits :)

Thanks for the note!
Old Monday 21st April 2003, 15:48   #4
IanF

Hi Erik,

I've missed your trip reports of late, but this is a great report to start off again and a very interesting day out for you.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st April 2003, 15:54   #5
Michael Frankis
conehead

Hiya Erik!

Very easy . . . one of my bird books has all the bird names in 7 different languages as well as English and Latin, and one of them is Dutch :-) (the others are French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish and Russian). Have not got the same for mammals, so could not look that up!

Same for me about bikes - not enough money to learn to drive. Maybe one day we should have a BirdForum cyclists meeting - here or Netherlands (there's a direct ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, too)

Nice birds, Bullfinches, I get them in my local patch too.

Michael
Old Monday 21st April 2003, 16:07   #6
Jeff Taylor

A good day out Erik
Lots off intresting birds to keep you're brain
ticking over seen that you are a Student Teacher.No harm in using
a bike quietness is the word,I prefer to walk to my local patch.only
two miles from base,also you see birds when you are on you're
travels,nice & quiet is the trick(Keeps the pumps in tip top condition)I also had a excellent day out this morning.No doubt you
have already read my report.
Still buzzzzzing with excitement.

Toodle Pip
Jeff Taylor
insurance policy"
"Only reach for the stars if you are on
the payroll of NASA"
Old Monday 21st April 2003, 22:49   #7
Karl J

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Frankis

Maybe one day we should have a BirdForum cyclists meeting
..... now that's what I call a good idea. Cycling & birdwatching, an excellent combination.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd April 2003, 00:18   #8
Andrew
wibble wibble

I have shortened the bins strap enough so I can cycle with them round my neck!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: