• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BBC website highlights Malta birdshootings (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the link ColD, not nice viewing. I hope it enlightens a lot more people...especially in the EU.

Further to that there is another BBC page where you can have your say maybe if enough people emailed in the beeb may persue it further, more in the news would bring this to the fore

Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/2804227.stm and have your say help to stop this barbaric act .

There are nearly 60000 members on BF think of that all emailing the BBC on this one.

Cheers
ColD

Further to that there is another BBC page where you can have your say maybe if enough people emailed in the beeb may persue it further, more in the news would bring this to the fore
Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/2804227.stm and have your say help to stop this barbaric act .

There are nearly 60000 members on BF think of that all emailing the BBC on this one.Cheers
ColD

Just emailed the BBC...I hope a lot of Birdforum members will follow suit.

Quote from the article: "The Federation for Hunting and Conservation Malta argues that spring is the best time of year to enjoy the countryside."

A very damned warped view of 'enjoyment' if you ask me.

Hopefully the hunters' days are numbered.

e-mailed the BBC. About time the media started to pay serious attention to this matter...

Sending e-mail to the Maltese goverment as well...

Come on everybody it just takes a moment of your time. It's 'our' birds they're killing!!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart I have been trying my best for some years to get everyone on BF to get involved and send emails to Malta. David Conlin of Proact kindly put me a petition on and I took a copy to work and got over 300 signatures and that was in the middle of the Bird Flu scare so I don't think I did too badly.

Thanks for acting so quickly when you saw the BBC site, I haven't even looked yet as I always read through BF first when I get home. Let's hope now it has been on the BBC more people around the world realise it is the world's birds that are being slaughtered and post their comments. International pressure will have more effect than just the EU, if Malta thinks the rich tourists on cruise ships will avoid their country or better still let their feelings be known on the island drown out the sound of guns in protest we might get somewhere at last.

Sorry as you all know I can't always find the right words but I will fight every inch of the way for our birds, keep up the pressure and it must stop sooner than if we all did nothing.

Thank you again.

Ann

Still in the middle ages on the beautiful isle.

Ahhh well....will still have to boycott the island and take my hard earned money to other island (s) where the skies are quiet, apart from the lovely bird song of course.

I wonder just how much revenue the tourist industry are missing from guys and gals like us ???????????

Sorry as you all know I can't always find the right words but I will fight every inch of the way for our birds, keep up the pressure and it must stop sooner than if we all did nothing.

Thank you again.

Ann

Your'e doing a great job Ann, and your words are perfect.

Solidarity with BirdLife Malta

Seeing those BBC pictures has really made me angry. I've wrote letters in the past so now I have joined BirdLife Malta. They have a hard job over there and I want to help them a little. Even their nature reserves are vandalised!

Ann, you are an inspiration to us all.

when i see a new bird down here... i look at it with high admiration thinking ( and dreaming ) how far has this bird travelled and how far will it continue to travel. Then a horrible, wrathful sense of reality gets me to realize that that bird will be damn lucky if it will cross the island and leave our territorial sea without tasting the suffering cold-hearted lead in its body!

STOP (ILLEGAL) SPRING HUNTING NOW!!!

its useless if you send messages to the president! the reasons are 1) because the president in malta has no control or effect 2) the former president was the same person who "assured" that spring hunting will remain and will not become outlawed! In few words the former president the malinious mind behind the chaotic issue of spring hunting down here.

Its definately a step in the right direction that the BBC has come up with this story.

How about ccing the european commissioner for the environment stavros.dimas 'at' ec.europa.eu while at it :)

Chris

Thanks Everybody,

Please let me know if you receive any replies to your emails.

Does anyone know how to access the BBC "Have your Say" comments answers. I have been searching for it for two nights as I would like to see if any of our emails have been published and if any others have been received. I did receive an automatic response to my email saying that all are read and if published would appear in a few hours but it didn't say where, help!

Thanks.

Ann :egghead:

Hi,

Thanks for the article and only to be expected. How can pictures like those be misleading are they hoping people will assume they are fake birds posed for the cameras in a studio somewhere?

If they handle all government issues in such a way, surely their days are numbered. Sorry I am speechless as usual.

Ann

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back