• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding/ General wildlife watching, Budapest & Eastern Hungary (1 Viewer)

Minsmere

Richard W
Hi

Am planning a two week trip to eastern Hungary in the last two weeks of September 2007; basic itinerary is 4 days in Budapest (primarily culture tho any tips on city birding or environs (e.g. Danube Bend) would be helpful) wit the remaining days in eastern Hungary - Hortobagy NP, Bukk Hills & Aggetelek NP.

Have found somewhere decent to stay to the south of the Bukk Hills (Farm Lator (www.farmlator.co.hu)) which apparently is suitable for day-trips to Hortobagy NP (can anyone confirm?) but am also thinking of spending a few days in/ around Aggetelek NP in north-east Hungary. Can anyone recommend a guide for the Aggetelek NP and somewhere to stay; we will have a hire car. Also, any suggestions; have found the following websites already: www.birdinghungary.com and www.probirder.com so am more interested in specific locations/ recommendations for guides.

Also, my girlfriend is interested in birds but not a birder so if there are any guides who can accommodate 'general natural history' or provide opportunities to watch bears (is this viable?), would be interested to hear from you.

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

I only now Hortobagy and Zemplen Hills, but I think from Bükk to Hortobagy it's quite a distance for a daytrip, especially as the Hortopagy National Park is quite huge.
As far as I know there are no wild bears in Hungary (but they are quite common in some parts of Romania)

André

You probably have your trip all planned now. But let me just say that the Bükk Hills are well within striking distance of the Hortobágy and an excellent place to stay in Hungary. Don't miss Eger for meals and sightseeing.

You are looking at very small travel distances between these 3 places. Likely not more than 1 hour, depending on where in the Hortobágy you are going.
You will appreciate being based in the Bükk Hills for the habitat contrast with Hortobágy and also the cooler weather and forest shade. Between Bükk and Hortobágy, you can really see most of the bird diversity in Hungary and the 2 predominant habitat types.
Sorry I don't have any guide recommendations. I am just an American birder who has lived in Hungary for a couple of years and birded the areas you mention with local friends. But do get a guide. The best ponds and flats in Hortobágy are largely unmarked and accessed by parking on the side of the road. Local gen is not widely available in english either. You could easily miss alot if you just try to plan your own trip. Someone who knows where to take you is really an excellent investment.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back