• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji X-100, Sony RX-100 m2 and m3; Cropping and Vignetting (1 Viewer)

paperweight

I own the Fuji X-100 black limited and shoot throught the Kowa 883 (20-60x eyepiece) with the DA 4/DA 10 adapters attached.
So far, I love the results. You can see them in the gallery section. Whenever I go 20x, I will have to select spot vs internal ae, and I will always have to work on the result, crop it to 50% or even 100%.
I shoot RAW and develop with Silky Pix, the software that came with the camera.
These are my questions:

The X-100 has a larger sensor the the RX-100 m2/m3 and shows more detail and image quality. What will I gain when I use the RX-100 and do not crop compared to the X-100? Is there really any gain or rather a loss in image quality?

If I go for the RX-100: I could get a package including the RX-100 M2 plus the electronic viewfinder EV1MK plus spare batteries and external charger (all Sony). This package is 6-months old and will cost me 600 EUR compared to the 800 EUR for the RX-100 m3. Are the better viewfinder, the hot shoe for external flash and the jack for an external microphone arguments for the m2 that weigh more than the new lens and the improved video resolution of the m3?

When I put the black cloth over my head, I will surely need a good viewfinder to go along my varifocal glasses.
So first decision will be RX-100 yes or no, and, if yes, m2 with EV1KM or rather m3?

Thanks a lot for taking your time to read all this and your help in my decision.

I own the Fuji X-100 black limited and shoot throught the Kowa 883 (20-60x eyepiece) with the DA 4/DA 10 adapters attached.
So far, I love the results. You can see them in the gallery section. Whenever I go 20x, I will have to select spot vs internal ae, and I will always have to work on the result, crop it to 50% or even 100%.
I shoot RAW and develop with Silky Pix, the software that came with the camera.
These are my questions:

The X-100 has a larger sensor the the RX-100 m2/m3 and shows more detail and image quality. What will I gain when I use the RX-100 and do not crop compared to the X-100? Is there really any gain or rather a loss in image quality?

If I go for the RX-100: I could get a package including the RX-100 M2 plus the electronic viewfinder EV1MK plus spare batteries and external charger (all Sony). This package is 6-months old and will cost me 600 EUR compared to the 800 EUR for the RX-100 m3. Are the better viewfinder, the hot shoe for external flash and the jack for an external microphone arguments for the m2 that weigh more than the new lens and the improved video resolution of the m3?

When I put the black cloth over my head, I will surely need a good viewfinder to go along my varifocal glasses.
So first decision will be RX-100 yes or no, and, if yes, m2 with EV1KM or rather m3?

Thanks a lot for taking your time to read all this and your help in my decision.

The Fuji X100 is a great camera, although the X100s is even better I hear. You could be better off getting the 30x eyepiece for the Kowa which matches with the X100 much better (only very slight vignetting in corners easily corrected and none in 16:9 mode). It's also a better quality eyepiece (fixed always beats zoom).
Even if you like the Sony (I prefer it's controls setup compared to the X100) it would setup up better on the 30x eyepiece. The Sony lens can be zoomed from 40 - 70 mm with good quality due to it's Zeiss designed lens.
The video on the Fujis lets it down for me, otherwise I would like the X100s on the 30x Kowa if money was no object.
I forgot to mention that the Sony recovers from bursts of Raw shooting very fast where the X100 is too slow for me so I shoot mostly in jpeg.
Neil.

Thanks Neil. I have the 30x eyepiece, though not the recent wide angle version. On the other hand, a lot of my pics were done with 60x magnification because I couldn't get close enough or did not have a camouflage tent (which I will get sooner or later, a device called "Doghouse").
Last night I decided for the RX-100 m2 including the EV1MK viewfinder plus extra batteries and charger. I will have to pay 600 EUR which eqals 450 GBP. The finder can be tilted (different from the m3) and is twice as large as the built in finder of the m3. This will make working much easier when bending over the Kowa with the camera attached to the DA19/DA4 adapters.
Will the manual of the RX 100 do or should I get a book on it (like I did with my X-100)?

Thanks Neil. I have the 30x eyepiece, though not the recent wide angle version. On the other hand, a lot of my pics were done with 60x magnification because I couldn't get close enough or did not have a camouflage tent (which I will get sooner or later, a device called "Doghouse").
Last night I decided for the RX-100 m2 including the EV1MK viewfinder plus extra batteries and charger. I will have to pay 600 EUR which eqals 450 GBP. The finder can be tilted (different from the m3) and is twice as large as the built in finder of the m3. This will make working much easier when bending over the Kowa with the camera attached to the DA19/DA4 adapters.
Will the manual of the RX 100 do or should I get a book on it (like I did with my X-100)?

The M2 does have a longer zoom which could be useful. Download the Sony PDF. It should be enough.
Have fun.
Neil

I have been fiddling around with the RX-100 m2 on my Kowa 883, and the first impression is good. What I did not take into account, though, was the fact that the Fuji X-100 has of course the option to use a cable release. I do not want to control the camera with my smartphone all the time, so I will have to get something that helps to get good, stable pics. Do you use the Sony VPR1 remote control (USB) or do you rather go a traditional way? My DA4/DA10 adapter has got a built in cable release, but it's rather short, and I don't know if it might cause any vibration.

Hello neighbor,
for the RX 100II i have the pixels cable release RC-201 with S2 terminal and am very satisfied.

Bref, thanks for the information. I found a s/h Sony VPR 1 for a reasonable price. If I work with 60x on the Kowa the electronic device is welcome to reduce the risk of vibration.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back