• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU 2018 Checklist proposals (1 Viewer)

Two words for the same thing, one Anglo-Saxon (dove), the other French (pigeon), used interchangeably. A foolish consistency. . . the hobgoblin of little minds. . ..

Two words for the same thing, one Anglo-Saxon (dove), the other French (pigeon), used interchangeably. A foolish consistency. . . the hobgoblin of little minds. . ..

Ahhh. One of my favorite quotes!

And among my friends we either just call them "pigeons" or "rockers".

FWIW, "Rats with wings" are Canada Geese.

In London and the south-east we call feral pigeons "Flying Rats" (and Grey Squirrels are "Tree Rats") (or should that be Flying-rat and Tree-rat, as they are not related?) And what have the SACC got against Ben T. Bill?

Well I'm from London + know many birders/ naturalists in the area + the only people I've heard refer to them as flying rats aren't birders. Pretty stupid too.

Proposals 2018-B

Proposals 2018-B

2018-B-1: Split Pacific Swift Apus pacificus into four species
2018-B-2: Restore Canada Jay as the English name of Perisoreus canadensis
2018-B-3: Recognize two genera in Stercorariidae
2018-B-4: Split Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) into two species
2018-B-5: Split Pseudobulweria from Pterodroma
2018-B-6: Add Tadorna tadorna (Common Shelduck) to the Checklist
2018-B-7: Add three species to the U.S. list
2018-B-8: Change the English names of the two species of Gallinula that occur in our area
2018-B-9: Change the English name of Leistes militaris to Red-breasted Meadowlark
2018-B-10: Revise generic assignments of woodpeckers of the genus Picoides
2018-B-11: Split the storm-petrels (Hydrobatidae) into two families

[pdf]

2018-B-11: Split the storm-petrels (Hydrobatidae) into two families. In a 1881 PZS Forbes stated that his family Oceanitidae corresponds to Bonaparte's section Unguibus depressis .
Southern Storm-Petrels seems boring I prefer some reference to nymphs of the ocean.

Depressed Unguibusses?

3:)

2018-B-2: Restore Canada Jay as the English name of Perisoreus canadensis .
Link to article How the canada jay lost its name.
https://sora.unm.edu/node/140501 .
Rick Wright commented on the article "The essay in OB, “How the Canada Jay lost its name and why it matters,” is delightful and impressive, including an enormously helpful discussion of the debate leading up to the AOU's adoption of English species names in the fifth edition of the Check-list. "
http://blog.aba.org/2018/02/blog-birding-352-2.html .

Depressed claws; the converse (couple of pages earlier) being Unguibus compressis, compressed claws. They are of course identification key leads for separation, not names.
"With depressed claws" -- it's an ablative case. (A plain "depressed claws" would have been ungues depressi.)

Thank you Laurent. Am I right that Geay brun du Canada brun means brown? Also in Garrulus Canadensis fuscus is fuscus dusky, dark? I think Oberholzer called Quebec the type location.

Proposals 2018-C

2018-C-1: Adopt (a) a revised linear sequence and (b) a subfamily classification for the Accipitridae
2018-C-2: Split Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) into two species
2018-C-3: Revise the classification and linear sequence of the Tyrannoidea
2018-C-4: Split Cory's Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea) into two species
2018-C-5: Split Puffinus boydi from Audubon's Shearwater P. lherminieri
2018-C-6: (a) Split extralimital Gracula indica from Hill Myna G. religiosa; (b) Move Gracula religiosa from the main list to Appendix
2018-C-7: Split Melozone occipitalis from White-eared Ground-Sparrow M. leucotis
2018-C-8: Split White-collared Seedeater (Sporophila torqueola) into two species
2018-C-9: Lump Taiga Bean-Goose Anser fabalis and Tundra Bean-Goose A. serrirostris
2018-C-10: Recognize Mexican Duck Anas diazi as a species
2018-C-11: Transfer Loxigilla portoricensis and L. violacea to Melopyrrha
2018-C-12: Split Gray Nightjar Caprimulgus indicus into three species, recognizing (a) C. jotaka and (b) C. phalaena
2018-C-13: Split Barn Owl (Tyto alba) into three species
2018-C-14: Split LeConte's Thrasher (Toxostoma lecontei) into two species
2018-C-15: Revise generic assignments of New World "grassland" sparrows

[pdf]

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back