• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

extra bar to stabilize long lenses (1 Viewer)

DonFrambach

I've been using a Nikon 500mm f/4 manual focus lens for some time now and have found that even with a Gitzo 5530 tripod and a Wimberley head that there is some image blurring that seems to be due to camera shake particularly when using a teleconverter. Although the lens is properly attached to the camera, there is a little bit of movement between the two that is markedly increased with a teleconverter.

For that reason, I've fabricated an aluminum bar that connects the tripod mount of the lens to the 1/4" 20 socket on the camera. The bar is then attached to the Wimberley head. This holds the camera much more securely. I think my photos are much sharper. (no specific test only my impression)

Has anyone else done this? I'm kind of new at using long lenses and wonder if I'm "reinventing the wheel".

Don

I have slapped a sock full of material and placed it over the camera and lens when I thought there may be issues with what I call micro vibrations. I am convinced it makes a difference. A bean bag would have the same effect or better.

I expect to carry out a test which I planned on doing last year and hopefully it will cost nothing. For very low shutter speeds , provided no wind, cable release and mirror lock up has to be the way?

Don,
I've had one made by a mate for when I digiscope with the D3 on the scope. I used a Manfrotto sliding plate at the D3 end to easily slide the camera to the scope. It's made a big difference to stability, particularly at low shutter speeds. Neil.

Slik 88 had an optional telescopic arm that attached to one tripod leg (about 1/3 down) and strapped onto the end of a long lens. Very slow to use though (nests rather than anything moving!) but it did work.

Here are some photos of my fourth version. Seems to work well. I can quickly switch from landscape to portrait format. Need to get the parts anodized. 500mm F4 with 1.4 TC attached to bar mounted on Wimberley Head on a leveling mount on a Gitzo tripod. Comments appreciated. Don

Attachments

• Telephoto Mount (reduced).jpg
    Telephoto Mount (reduced).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Telephoto Mount Close Up (reduced).jpg
    Telephoto Mount Close Up (reduced).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 272
Here are some photos of my fourth version. Seems to work well. I can quickly switch from landscape to portrait format. Need to get the parts anodized. 500mm F4 with 1.4 TC attached to bar mounted on Wimberley Head on a leveling mount on a Gitzo tripod. Comments appreciated. Don

Don,
Nice work. It looks very professional. I have seen a version that had a support for the front of the lens too. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back