• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new garden 'tick' (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

I should explain that I count as a 'garden tick' anything that lands in the garden or on the things in the garden (trees, shed, electricity supply pole and cables). As far as the cables are concerned only that bit directly above the garden counts, while the pole is just our side of the garden fence. Thus the Pied Flycatcher that stood on the wires just the other side of the pole a few years ago didn't count, despite my pleading with it to move across a bit.

I haven't had anything new to tick for months, then it was a Tawny Owl on the pole in the dark (sound and a good torch) and before that the last one goes back to late 2003 (Lesser Black-Backed Gull, believe it or not, the only Gull on the list).

This time I looked out of the kitchen window and everything looked normal, which is what fooled me because the smaller birds were still going about their business undisturbed. But when I looked up, there on the pole was a Buzzard! Dashed for the camera (all right Sue, I know) but it didn't wait for me, missed it by seconds, bah! I suppose with the recent increase in Buzzard numbers in the area I should have expected one sooner or later.

Anyway, that takes the garden list to 45.

Bill

wow it must have been a big buzz 3:) seeing a buzzard in the garden and all the birds going about the usual routine in my garden when a cat or something that could cause a threat to the birds they scatter to a tall tree or fly to the next door neighbours roof i hope there is many more adiitions to your list

Happy birding

Hi Bill
I wish a buzzard would come into mine, but so far the only raptors I have had have been sparrowhawks. I haven't had any recent "ticks" but, just after I think I said on here that Bullfinches never come into my garden, I spot a male one on the ground beside the hawthorn tree twice within a few days. Then I see a Long-tailed tit ( another species I assumed had some allergy to my garden ) in the tree too. Maybe they're there more often than I think, but I didn't always look so closely at that tree...I think I shall now.

Hi Bill,
Congratulations on the Buzzard. What a shame you didn't manage one of your brilliant photos, hope he comes back for you & you get one then. P&L eh Bill?? ;) ( sorry, couldn't resist LOL). All the best, Judo.

Hi Bill,
Brilliant garden tick, you are a jammy so n so, I'd give my wife away for a tick like that. ( good job she doesn't read these pages)
G eorge :C

George Garner said:
Hi Bill,
Brilliant garden tick, you are a jammy so n so, I'd give my wife away for a tick like that. ( good job she doesn't read these pages)
G eorge :C

LOL LOL LOL, ditto for me too george !

andy

Hi Bill,
What a terrific garden tick. To have a Buzzard so close and in your own garden. Perhaps they are increasing in other areas as well. I saw 3 together on the ground last weekend at RSPB Morcambe Bay. In the garden though that's really something. My latest tick is Grey Heron also last weekend, courtesy of my mirror re previous thread. That only brings me to 32 so plenty of 'scope' for more. |=)|
Roy.

Good one Bill, :t:
You're going to be jealous but I'm going to tell you anyway,lol.............I was pottering around my garden one day earlier in the week when I heard a familiar sound.
Looking into a cloudless sky I saw 5 Buzzards circling above,mewing and falling with wings outstretched and nearly touching each other,wonderful!!!
I presumed it was some sort of displaying they were doing?? but marvellous to see and hear and all above my garden!!!!
Best wishes,

I saw something similar here a couple of days ago Ruth - plus a Buzzard standing by the fence which divides my garden from a neighbour's orchard. And where was the camera on the one fine day.....???

Pam. :egghead:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back