• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

Very quiet this afternoon but an "Injured act" from a Ringed Plover,suggested a breeding pair.Quite a large raft of Razorbill off the Coo.A Common Whitethroat and a Sedge Warbler on the bank opposite "The Plotties" was nice.

I seen the dead Harbour Porpoise but some Dolphin activity off the South Breakwater Pier made for a happier day.

Away from birds,a blonde Eastern European lady,In a black bikini,posing for photographs beside the Skates Nose,was an unusual sighting for me..!

Last edited:
It sounds as though Ben had the best sighting of the day. Am I right? Ladz?

Actually his sighting doesn't surprise me because with temperatures reaching a giddy 15 degrees it really was the 'Costa del Torry' today. The most notable birds were five Velvet Scoters north off the Coo and a Teal in amongst the Eiders. Five Red-throated Divers were also around. The dead Harbour Porpoise was posing for photos in Nigg Bay (see attached). An alive one was out to sea.

Attachments

• Harbour Porpoise_Nigg Bay_260513a.jpg
    Harbour Porpoise_Nigg Bay_260513a.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 66
Are you going to post any photos from today...? ;-)

If I see the bloke who was taking them,I shall ask for some.I have to admit,I was slightly taken aback.I turned a bend and there they were,with the girl,lying on the grass.

Another birder (with a Dulux type dog) may also have stumbled across them,as he was making his way towards them.I'm not sure If he had a camera though..! ;)

A brown Common Rosefinch on the western side of Tullos Hill today. It's rather elusive - but does show well along the lower track periodically. Nearby a singing Garden Warbler and a Spotted Flycatcher.

Dear Aberdeen birders
I'll be up in Aberdeen next week Wed 3rd June for the evening, can anyone advise on an evening sea watching spot close to town. I'll have my car. I don't know Aberdeen beyond driving through a couple of weeks ago at midnight! Is Girdle Ness the place to go?
Also to Andrew Whitehouse-- are you the AW from Northants many years back?
Thanks
Matthew

Dear Aberdeen birders
I'll be up in Aberdeen next week Wed 3rd June for the evening, can anyone advise on an evening sea watching spot close to town. I'll have my car. I don't know Aberdeen beyond driving through a couple of weeks ago at midnight! Is Girdle Ness the place to go?
Also to Andrew Whitehouse-- are you the AW from Northants many years back?
Thanks
Matthew

I am indeed from Northants - am now trying to work out who you are! Girdle Ness would be the most obvious place to go seawatching near the city centre. It's probably not much more than two miles from the centre to the lighthouse. You can either seawatch from the 'Coo' (the foghorn) or from the nearby bench. There should certainly be a range of commoner seabirds at this time of year and maybe stuff like Manx Shearwater, skuas, Puffins etc.

Thanks Andrew and Ben sounds good. Common seabirds are much easier!
Andrew I'll send you a pm tonight. Think back to Pitsford maybe!!
I'm now in Cambs since '99
M

Dear Aberdeen birders

Also worth considering a jaunt up to Murcar/Blackdog, on the northern edge of the city - more seaduck & terns up that way, makes a nice evening trip sat in the dunes!

Ok thanks for extra info. I tried Blackdog a couple of weeks ago for the King Eider having failed to see him at Newburgh and still failed as I believe it was off Murcar by then. Will have another go end of the week after my work is finished. Is this the same bird from years ago that I saw?
Matthew

We saw the King Eider at Newburgh last week. We parked past the Golf Course, and then walked along the estuary edge to the hut which is on the corner near one of the tees (this gave us views from the seals right round past the ternery and further inland). We were just after high tide and the King eider was roosting on the opposite bank, slightly further inland than the red flags preventing access along the opposite shore. Also had a great skua being chased off by hundreds of terns (which is some sight and noise!).

Once again I missed the best bird at Girdle Ness - a Yellow Wagtail seen by the ringing group near the Battery this morning. And I didn't see a lot else. A Common Scoter was in Aberdeen Bay. A Puffin went north. A recently fledged Grey Wagtail was along the stream at St Fittick's, with an adult nearby. I did sort of get a patch mammal tick, with a small mustelid - probably a Weasal - along the track at Greyhope Bay. I didn't see it for long enough to be conclusive.

Lots of dolphin stuff. I tried to get some pictures.

Attachments

• BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_010613a.jpg
    BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_010613a.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 50
  • BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_010613b.jpg
    BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_010613b.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 50
  • BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_010613c.jpg
    BN Dolphin_Girdle Ness_010613c.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 47
Had a brief seawatch this evening, which included five Puffins, eight Manx Shearwaters, one dark phase Arctic Skua, four Common Scoters and two Velvet Scoters. Also a distant Fox in the field up towards Doonie's Farm.

Have been out a few times lately without seeing too much. The dolphins have been very active and their TV star status seems to have encouraged lots of people out to watch them. A Manx Shearwater went through on Friday. 19 Common Scoter were around today amongst some fairly huge numbers of Eiders. I counted 1300 between Greyhope Bay and Greg Ness. Makes you wonder if royalty might be amongst us over the coming weeks.

Adult drake surf scoter showing very nicely with about 70 commons just off the foghorn. Seemed to be reasonably settled for the hour or so I was there. Not much else happening recently - a garden warbler singing along the railway embankment yesterday...

Thanks for the message about the scoter, which I received in a slightly strange form. Rather than it coming on my mobile, I got a call on my home phone from the 'BT Text Messaging Service'. Then I had a rather posh lady in a slightly robotic voice saying:

Cracking
Drake
Surf Scoter
off the
Foghorn

Sadly this morning I couldn't get out. Will look later though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back