• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (2 Viewers)

Another one from me. Purple Sandpipers in horrific conditions! (freezing, wet, windy..etc)

I left the sound in even though the wind is bad to allow the waves to be heard.
My zoom h1 has gone back for replacement now so hopefully in a week or so I can start getting proper sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Acp0at-hE

Edit: new video uploaded now with sound from my rode videomic that has come.

Last edited:
Thanks Romy. That video is absolutely brilliant and shows what can be done with a dslr.

Do you leave IS on for those flight shots? and do you use a viewfinder loupe to help with focusing?

Thanks Romy. That video is absolutely brilliant and shows what can be done with a dslr.

Do you leave IS on for those flight shots? and do you use a viewfinder loupe to help with focusing?

Thanks! Yes, I activate IS mode 2 when filming BIFs to reduce panning shake. I use the viewfinder when manually focusing, then track the BIF via the camera's LCD.

Romy,

Excellent, as always. Loved the title and content. Thanks for sharing.

I have recently purchased a 7D and have been getting good video with it attached to my scope, albeit with semi-static subjects. Flight shots I will have to practice!

Mike

Romy,

Excellent, as always. Loved the title and content. Thanks for sharing.

I have recently purchased a 7D and have been getting good video with it attached to my scope, albeit with semi-static subjects. Flight shots I will have to practice!

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

Among my 3 DSLRs (7D, 1D4 and 5D2), my favorite for video is the 7D because of the nicer user interface and of course the extra reach.

First class, Pete! You captured some great behaviour, the disgorging of the pellet and the swallowing of the small fish. Image quality was superb.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I was well chuffed to record that as its the first time Ive seen either ! (I think I've only seen Kingfisher about 5-6 times in 23 years over here)

One thing I like about videoing is you can still do it when the light is rubbish and too dark for any decent photographs.
It was chucking down today but I still managed to get some video of our only Little Egret over here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Y5A4LY8s0

Follow focusing is so hard though. I think it will take many years of practice to get that spot on.

Ive been wanting to try my hand at dslr videoing birds in flight since Romys great vids were put on here but I never got round to it.
When me and my friend found a scarce Little Gull over here I had no time to practice so just dove right in (not literally the water would be freezing)
I quickly found that shooting at the normal 1080p24 just didnt look right so swapped to 720p50.
Im quite pleased (relatively) with the end result especially having to use manual focus all the time to keep up with the little blighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMUdjsRamcA

ps. In the excitement of finding then trying to video the bird i forgot to connect my rode mic up! dohh so apologies for the sound. :)

Lovely footage Rob. Not to sure on the background music though and what do you use to edit your footage as there might be a stabiliser plugin you could use.

Lovely footage Rob. Not to sure on the background music though and what do you use to edit your footage as there might be a stabiliser plugin you could use.

I added the music to kill the sound of the screaming Kids stood behind me .
I use studio 14 it has a stabiliser but iv not tried it, will give it a go :)
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back