• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (3 Viewers)

Pair of Kingfisher on the Riiver Rea this morning. Selly Park. Another on the River Cole, Shirley. Another reported at Kings Norton.

Finally from a good distance I watched the Kingfisher flying in and and out of the nest on the Rea. Grey wagtails feeding on the rocks. Great!

This morning was a very good repeat of yesterday with a pair of Kingfisher on the River Rea, one I think was in the nest and then they got together calling each other and flying off down the river. Grey Wagtail present in the exact same spot as well as a Robin singing from the top of the trees. In the wooded area I could hear a Chiffchaff and Blackcap. Great!!

Was extra lucky this morning, the pair of Kingfisher on the Rea were in and out of nest one. Then I took a walk a further along and the male was working on nest two. They were then calling and following each other up and down the river. The male was then hanging around the new nest having a rest before flying off. Great stuff!

Both Kingfisher were again present this morning, calling each other and stopping off at river perches on the Rea. One then sat in a tree obscured from me by leaves. I got a couple bad photos. Also Song Thrush and Blackcap calling. I forgot to mention yesterday a pair of Grey Wagtails feeding on the stones in the river. I think there's a couple pairs on this stretch.

Not sure if I missed the kingfisher fledglings on the River Cole, Trittiford or if they're still in the nest. It was pretty quiet with a single kingfisher present and a heron. Last years fledglings on the Rea was the 31st May.

All quiet at the nest on the Rea this morning with a Kingfisher flying past, though I didn't wait long nor at the new nest. The same Thrush is still singing from a high, a grey wagtail stopped on the field and then path and there were several wrens calling at every few hundred metres as I ran along. Great!!

The Kingfisher was at the new nest so I assume I missed fledglings. It was mid week on the Dutch Nature channel cam, Rye Meads and Standford Warren, Essex where I was during the week. A few Swift flew over making their screeching noise. On the Bourn Brook there was a pair of Grey Wagtail.

5.45 this morning there was the usual Kingfisher on the River Rea, Selly Park, flying up and down and calling by the nest. Heron also.
Then at 6.30 I had my most unbelievable Kingfisher sightings. There were 2 Kingfisher chasing each other on the River Cole, for over thirty minutes, maybe an hour. One kingfisher would fly round and around in big circles, over the river, going in and out of the trees, whilst another was on the river. It flew around in a circle for more than ten times at three places, so circling over thirty times over the river for over half a mile as I walked along and stopped to watch them. They then would chase each other along the river and through the trees, circling, around and around. Then they would stop on a tree over the river or next to the river. A few times the kingfisher was in the tree next to me, having a rest or hiding. As it was doing it's circling it also had a quick rest on the TV aerial of a bungalow opposite the river. It also flew through the trees/woods a few times, right past me or on the river right next to me. At one point I ducked down to watch them flying along the river and the Kingfisher flew a foot over my head as it went through the trees. They were amazing going up and down the river. Each time I thought they'd stop, they would only fly back or I would find them again. They were still doing it as I left them. They were making a right racket, calling to each other. I can only assume it was a territorial dispute between 2 males. It certainly did not look like courtship or the young being chased away. It was crazy. I'd never seen anything like that before. I've seen a few chases but not this prolonged and intense. Great!!

Last edited:
Kingfisher on the River Rea, Selly Park this morning.
A Grey Wagtail on the Bourn Brook, This afternoon a pair of Buzzards over Wychall and some Kingfisher sized fish in the River Rea. There were loads of Kingfisher sized fish on the River Cole, Dingles/Wonders Walk in several places, with the biggest shoal of 40 fish. Great!

Kingfisher along Rea by Wychall Lane Grey Wagtail as well. Difficult to get good views as verdant spring growth along this amazing oasis in suburban Birmingham

Kingfisher along Rea by Wychall Lane Grey Wagtail as well. Difficult to get good views as verdant spring growth along this amazing oasis in suburban Birmingham

Hi Trevor, yes I also saw the kingfisher this morning at Wychall, it flew in calling and then sat on tree perch fishing. Also saw the Grey Wagtail on the bridge railing. Also found the Kingfisher on the River Rea, Stirchley, sitting on a perch over a deep section of the river on a bend. Great!

7.00 Kingfisher on the River Rea, Selly Park. As per yesterday it was making the repeated two tone call which is music to my ears. Great!
(Yesterday I had a really good run along the Rea, all the way to Longbridge, there were all the songbirds, herons, a blackcap, the grey wagtail at Wychall and three at the new Longbridge retail park where the river meanders through the park from what was the old road bridge station. Quite shocking was pollution being caught by a trap at Longbridge station, I now know why I see so few fish compared to the Cole, incredible a kingfisher is a mile further along)

Where was the pollution and what form did it take.

Hi Keith, there is a footbridge over the Rea on Tessall Lane next to Longbridge Station and you can look down on the 'trap device' which I assume the water authorities have fitted. I am not an expert but the water looks 'oily'. I've emailed these people to find out more; http://www.yourstream.org.uk/
I'll see what they say. I've just emailed the EA as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back