• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30 (2 Viewers)

FrankD

It would seem your prayers have been answered gentleman. I just received my latest edition of Birdwatchers Digest and in it is an advertisement for the new 6x30 and 8x30 Leupold Yosemites. Nothing else is mentioned in the advertisement so I would take it that the actual physical dimensions of the binocular are the same. I am curious about the field of view. I would be hopeful for something in the 380-400 foot range but believe I am being optimistic.

Included below is the advertisement.

Attachments

• yosemites2.jpg
    yosemites2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 626
If the price remains within $20 of the original I think they will again sell quite well.

Hmm, only one post after a full night on the forums....everybody must be getting ready for the holidays. :)

I wonder what kind of FOV it has? My guess is that they will need a couple of 15mm Erfle type Oculars to get a truly wide field. I don't know what these will cost or how much distortion is acceptable.
Bob

My prediction.

370 foot field of view
Equal level of edge distortion to the 6x version
Cost of $120 for those places that sell the 6x at $100

FrankD said:
It would seem your prayers have been answered gentleman. I just received my latest edition of Birdwatchers Digest and in it is an advertisement for the new 6x30 and 8x30 Leupold Yosemites.
That doesn't look to me like an ad for a new version; it looks like an ad for the old version. Or am I missing something?

Michael.

The advertisement in terms of terminology, pictures, etc... does appear identical to the previous ads. The only change is the mention of the Yosemite being offered in both 6x30 and 8x30 configurations. It was only offered in the 6x30 configuration originally.

In addition, I finally spoke with one retailer that heard of the new configuration and suggested an availability date of mid-January.

I called Leupold and was told that there will be an 8x30 Yosemite, that they don't have specs yet, but that the specs will be published in the new product catalog that is coming out in the next week or so.
--AP

FrankD said:
The advertisement in terms of terminology, pictures, etc... does appear identical to the previous ads. The only change is the mention of the Yosemite being offered in both 6x30 and 8x30 configurations. It was only offered in the 6x30 configuration originally.

In addition, I finally spoke with one retailer that heard of the new configuration and suggested an availability date of mid-January.
I see. Shutting up now.

Michael.

Leupold did right by introducing the 6x first. They generated great interest in a forgotten configuration and sold a lot of binoculars, the Yosemites and others, because of the talk generated by it. Had they introduced a 8x and 6s at the same time just how many would have even looked through the 6x, but now there are a great many who rave about them and a good portion of those folks will probably end up with the 8x version as well. Tada, two sales for Leupold. They probably learned from the Katmai that the 6x could be good but nobody looked at it next to the 8x.

Hmmm.....I'm not as cynical about the motivations for the 6x configuration of the Yosemite--it makes more sense to me that it was a result of deliberate design winning out over what conventional wisdom would suggest is most salable, though the 6x configuration was also essential for distinguishing the Yosemite from what was once a more common breed (the 8x30 porro), thus allowing for its niche product status and advertising. Nothing else about the Yosemite was/is really all that special (similar spec 8x past/present porros from Nikon, Celestron, Swift had/have similar minimum IPD). I'd have been much more impressed with the Yosemite as a kids' bino if it had a 6 foot (or better) close focus--kids like to look a nearby objects as much or more so than distant ones.
I wonder now what the fate of the 6x Yosemite will be...I predict their virtues are not recognized by the vast majority of buyers, that sales plummet (buyers won't be able to resist the 8x), and that they are discontinued within a year or two.
--AP

You can make a Porro close focus to 6 feet or so but you will probably lose the stereo effect to the annoying overlapping view using 2 eyes gives you at that close distance and be limited to the use of one eye. This probably isn't important to kids, but it won't impress adults much. My Eagle Ranger Platinum 6 x 32's roof prism's close focus to less than 4 feet, but there is alot of overlapping view from 5 feet in. A user with a narrow IPD will have less trouble with the overlap than one with a wider IPD. Because the objective lens of a roof prism binocular can be centered over your individual pupils you can focus closer without the overlap you will get with a Porro at the same distance.

Cordially

Bob

I don't think cynical was how I was feeling. It was a smart business move. We know by now that the 6x30 is a great unit, but would so many have tried it if it had been introduced simultaneously with the 8x30? I think consumers are the cynical ones. No offense intended.

A friend from another optics forum pm'ed me the specs for the 8x30 Yosemite. They are included below.....

Linear FOV 393' Angular FOV 7.5

Weight 18.5 ozs Length 4.5"

Twilight Factor 15.4

Exit Pupil 3.8mm Eye Relief 14mm

Close Focus Distance 16.4

I am going to see if I can get the specs for the rest of the models.

Praise the Lord. I was afraid they'll do a 6.3'. When? When? When? When?

I haven't heard yet but I am going to call the one local distributor that said he was going to have them in before the end of this month. I, too, am happy to see the larger field of view. Does the 14 mm eye relief bother you at all?

FrankD said:
Does the 14 mm eye relief bother you at all?
No, but tunnel vision (55 degrees or less angular FOV) does. I wear glasses, but i bought them specifically to be able to lift them quickly and rest them on my forehead while using binos. I could never warm up to using binoculars and eyeglasses in the same time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back