• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Days, SF Bay Area, This Week (Maybe) (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
All plans are in suspense, but I may be in the Bay Area for a few days this week. My wife will be working hard, but I can goof the days away (or better yet, find some birds). I used to live in the area and know it reasonably well, but wasn't birding at the time. Where would be some good winter hot spots? I was considering driving down to the MBAq to see if I can spot the sea otter that is using their cove as a nursery. Other than that possibility, I've got no ideas.

I just found eBird referenced elsewhere and will check it out as soon as I get back on a non-mobile device, but any specific advice would be welcome.

The area hosts many overwintering species, making the quantity, variety, and ease-of-spotting of birds increase dramatically in my neck of the woods (San Leandro, CA) over the winter months. My GF and I found this out quite by accident last year.

The lighting can be challenging, and the weather this year is quite wet (last winter was such a joy for good weather!), but if you can catch a break, you may be in for a treat.

Our personal favorite "hot spot" is the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline (Oakland, CA); enter via the main entrance off Edgewater. We also enjoy the Lake Boris portion of the Shadow Cliffs Recreation Area (Pleasanton, CA); enter via Park Access Road and walk to the lake. Another good one is Lake Merritt in Oakland, access from Bellevue Ave. and look for the islands comprising the Wildlife Sanctuary.

We go to these places when we want to be sure to have something interesting to photograph and just to have a nice walk.

Our personal favorite "hot spot" is the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline (Oakland, CA); enter via the main entrance off Edgewater.

I will likely be flying into the Oakland airport this summer, but I'm on a tight schedule and won't have much time to spend near the Bay itself. EBird seems to indicate that this site has potential for Ridgway's Rail, and it's pretty much next door to the airport. Is it the kind of place where marsh birds are fairly visible from a boardwalk or trail? I assume tides and time of day play a role, but any site-specific guidance would be appreciated.

I will likely be flying into the Oakland airport this summer, but I'm on a tight schedule and won't have much time to spend near the Bay itself. EBird seems to indicate that this site has potential for Ridgway's Rail, and it's pretty much next door to the airport. Is it the kind of place where marsh birds are fairly visible from a boardwalk or trail? I assume tides and time of day play a role, but any site-specific guidance would be appreciated.
I've seen the Burrowing Owl just once, and the Ridgway Rail twice (1, 2) at Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline. Both are very are much sought after by people who visit, but a very rare sighting since they are both endangered/threatened in addition to being shy. So I wouldn't count on seeing them, unfortunately. But you can always try!

We're getting to the time of year where it's just local birds, most of the migrants have left. Winter we get quite a variety of over-wintering birds. Yes, tides-in is pretty boring as all the shorebirds either leave or go so far out into the marsh as to be nigh invisible even with binoculars or a scope. So intentionally timing for low tide or tide going out is ideal.

For a lay of the land, here's a close-in map, and a map relative to the airport. I recommend following the map directions to the farthest parking lot. If the tides are going out, there are two docks you can walk out onto that have good water views. The one to the West was recently refurbished and re-opened to the public a few months ago, and is a nice way to get out into the marsh.

Yes, aside from the grassy park area, one must stay one the trails since it's a protected preserve (like almost every decent birding spot around here), but there is plenty to see from the trail when the birds are out. I've even seen raptors on occasion. Always lots of ducks (mallards and scaups). The odd scoter or two is still around, coots, ruddys, grebes, pelicans, willets, etc. Basically if you cruise my gallery, the better bulk of it is from this park.

If you end-up dropping by on a weekend, give me some notice and maybe my girlfriend and I can walk with you. You can give us pointers...we're amateur photographers first, birders a distant second, but still enjoy learning.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back