Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 26th November 2012, 04:26   #26
duncan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennygal View Post
I have always boiled my sugar water and have never had it cloudy, but this year it turns cloudy as soon as I put the sugar in the water. I usually boil for one minute, but since it was cloudy I boiled it for two, but it is still cloudy. I have not seen any hummers yet and I wonder if it is because my sugar water is cloudy??? I have seen a downy at the feeder, but no hummers. I put some sugar in cold water and stirred it up and it did not turn cloudy. I know my pan is rinsed free of soap so I have no idea why I have this problem. Anyone have any ideas???
I still boil my water and add the sugar (Just pure habit). You can always try another method - purchase a litre or two of pure spring water - ensure lable shows no additives and try a mix with this (maybe even a new small bag of sugar as well) Make sure that the feeder is pristine as well. If this remains unclouded - then maybe your water has had an additive introduced.

Good luck!
Old Monday 26th November 2012, 04:27   #27
duncan1

Quote:
I have always boiled my sugar water and have never had it cloudy, but this year it turns cloudy as soon as I put the sugar in the water. I usually boil for one minute, but since it was cloudy I boiled it for two, but it is still cloudy. I have not seen any hummers yet and I wonder if it is because my sugar water is cloudy??? I have seen a downy at the feeder, but no hummers. I put some sugar in cold water and stirred it up and it did not turn cloudy. I know my pan is rinsed free of soap so I have no idea why I have this problem. Anyone have any ideas???
I still boil my water and add the sugar (Just pure habit). You can always try another method - purchase a litre or two of pure spring water - ensure lable shows no additives and try a mix with this (maybe even a new small bag of sugar as well) Make sure that the feeder is pristine as well. If this remains clouded - then maybe your water has had an additive introduced.

Good luck!
Old Thursday 13th December 2012, 00:17   #28
mauricek

iF YOUBOIL WATERYOU DRIE THE OXYGEN OUT AND THI MAKES IT LOOK GRAY/CLOUDY.Ttry usig cold water or,let it cool after bboiling.
mauricek

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th January 2016, 21:07   #29
SEATTLEKJ

Cloudy sugar water

Quote:
I know this is a very old thread but I recently had a similar problem but have figured out that if I boil water in my microwave, and there is any residue in the microwave, the water will turn cloudy when adding the sugar. Cleaning the microwave from a recent small spill solved the problem!
Old Wednesday 17th August 2016, 17:03   #30
kcisar

Hello to everyone!

Today is a great day as I just joined BirdForum. I have read your fabulous posts about cloudy water and have a question.

I boil my water and have the same process for the sugar water for our numerous hummingbirds. These last two (2) times my water has had a very light green color to it. I threw out the first batch, put the pan in the dishwasher to make sure it was cleaned well, and the same thing happened this morning.
I was a little worried about harming the hummingbirds but they seem to love the sugared water. The sugar I have been and used is C&H Pure Cane Sugar and have used this before.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old Wednesday 17th August 2016, 18:07   #31
KC Foggin
Super Moderator

Hi kcisar and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

My question to you, is : Is the boiled water clear before adding the sugar? You might want to check that out because there may be contaminates in the water that you are attributing to the sugar. The hummingbirds may still drink it but if there are any contaminates in the water (which seems to be happening a lot lately all over the U.S.) you and your hummers don't want to be using it.

If the water is clear then maybe I'd switch the sugar out for another brand and see how it looks then. Let us know please

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 24th August 2016, 01:13   #32
aimeerose72

Hello! I am new to this forum,but your post caught my eye. I boil the water,throw in the sugar,so it all dissolves. I feel this works much better than cool or even lukewarm water. Also, I have 3 feeders,2 are glass and 1 is plastic (which I have thrown in the recycle bin). The glass feeders would stay clear,but the plastic would soon turn cloudy. Also,sometimes the sugar amount and changes in the water may make the food be cloudy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: