• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ideas for europe next year (1 Viewer)

elvisboy

Need help in finding somewhere in Europe next year for holiday near the beach good hotel with bird reserve or good opportunities for bird photography may time.

Need help in finding somewhere in Europe next year for holiday near the beach good hotel with bird reserve or good opportunities for bird photography may time.

Specific hotels:

Robinsons Hotel Quinta Da Ria on the Ria Formosa natural park,Algarve Portugal.
It's advertised on the Thomson website.

If you've got kids, the Baia Di Conte Hotel in the heart of Porto Conte Natural Reserve,north west Sardinia. If you haven't got children there are better,quieter hotels around here.

Keri Village Hotel Zante. Surprisingly good for birds for a Greek Island May and June. Hotel not near beach[in the hills] but hotel provide a free shuttle to the beach. Advertised on Jet 2 website[adult only]

Melia Atlantico Ayamonte Costa De La Luz[on Thomsons website]
Nice hotel Near Ayamonte marshes reserve. Good for seabirds as well.

If you want details of the hotels surroundings and birds let me know.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info
tried to book the quinta da ria hotel on thomson web site but int looks like its fully booked.
Would love more details of these hotels birds and surroundings.

Many thanks for the info
tried to book the quinta da ria hotel on thomson web site but int looks like its fully booked.
Would love more details of these hotels birds and surroundings.

Shame- its a decent hotel.You might be able to find it on another site.
Try the Robinsons Hotels website. The hotel is built in the middle of two golf courses in a very rural area which,so far, hasn't been swamped with hotels and villas.
If you find there are any vacancies I'll send you my report.

I've tried but failed to do links to my trip reports on Zante Sardinia and the Costa de La Luz so I've copied them below.

The Keri Village hotel in Zante has vacancies in May on Jet2 Package holidays.It is adult only,very individual and small.

The Baia Di Conte Hotel in Sardinia[Thomsons] is in a great location but its really geared to families with young kids these days. If you are taking a family its is ideal. If not Its better to find a hotel in Alghero and use the bus to take you to the Porto Conte natural park or hire a car.
Easy Jet fly to Alghero and do reasonable package holidays, whilst Thomson used to cover some hotels there,but unsure if they still do.

The Melia Atlantico,Costa De La Luz[Thomsons] is probably the best hotel in this area but the Iberostar[Jet2.com] looks nice.
We've been there twice. Thomsons have a good deal for 10 days in May at the moment. We've only been there in September so I can't vouch for how good it will be in May.

Sardinia

Visited Sardinia from 9th - 16th May 2015 staying at the Baia Di Conte in the heart of Porto Conte Natural Reserve. The huge nature reserve is very well protected in parts especially the forest reserve around Mont Timidone. It includes extensive forest, massive areas of unspoilt maquis, reed beds, coastal cliffs and non-intensive farming just on the edge.

The Porticciolo Track

If you hire a car then park at the car park overlooking the Porticciolo Tower and do the walks I describe in reverse. If staying at the hotel walk to the Sassari road,head north and take the first track on the left.

I suspected I was in for a good week when I found a Wryneck in the shrubs and trees at the junction of the Sassari road with the road to Alghero. This was on our first day there! Joining the track the next bird I found was a migrating Common Redstart. The Sardinian Warblers began here in earnest. Before long a huge fenced of field comes into view on your left. I dubbed this 'Bee-eater Field' for obvious reasons. On our very first visit we were greeted by 15 European Bee-eater launching off from the bordering trees and surrounding field border fence. They were here all week.

During the week I heard at least one Stone Curlew in the field but I reckon there was another further away. The latter was more distant when calling.

On the 12th May I recorded an impressive 25 Whinchat on this walk, many in this area. As they are irregular breeders in Sardinia and had disappeared by the last day I assume they were migrating. On the same day I found 21 Spotted Flycatcher, many along the fence bordering the field. They too diminished in numbers as the week progressed so maybe some were migrants.
Turtle Doves were seen or heard every day and I located 3 Eurasian Golden Oriole in the trees surrounding the field. Cirl Bunting was recorded most days and a Corn Bunting too. Alpine Swift, Crag Martin and a few Barn Swallow were often seen overhead.

Hearing a Raven up high I saw it being harassed by a Hooded Crow. A stroke of luck, because as I was looking I caught sight of an Eleonora Falcon drifting through. Carrying on west along the field boundary I saw a Spectacled Warbler and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. One evening I glimpsed a larger warbler which was either a Melodious Warbler or Icterine Warbler. I did not see it long enough to properly identify it.

At the end of the field the track turns north towards the Portociolo Tower. Another European Golden Oriole was seen as well as a Woodchat Shrike. Also seen were Linnet, a Turtle Dove, Blackcap and of course, Sardinian Warbler. A pair of Peregrine Falcon suddenly emerged one morning in hot pursuit of a Rock Dove.

Numerous Yellow-legged Gull were seen along the coast or over the bay. Returning to Bee-eater Field it is well worth carrying on east to Sassari Road. On the way there were more Whinchat, Spotted Flycatcher, Jay, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Corn Bunting, Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Linnet.

On the other side of the road was another impressive bird- rich field where I found Stonechat, Whinchat, Spotted Flycatcher, Cirl Bunting, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Corn Bunting, Short-toed Lark, Spanish Sparrow, Barn Swallow, Hooded Crow, Yellow-legged Gull, Spotless Starling. Linnet and a Woodchat Shrike. On the final day I heard yet another Stone Curlew! What a brilliant habitat!

I have found some great birdwatching patches over the years but this one would take some beating!

Mont Timidone

Still part of the Porto Conte reserve there is a dense forest surrounding Mont Timidone. There is a reserve HQ where you pay 3 Euros entry fee to climb Mont Timidone or go around the base to Isola Piana, an impressive island on the west coast.

We did the latter which takes around 90 minutes to reach. When we got there I found my one and only sighting of a Griffon Vulture as I scanned the area around Christallo Peak. There were also 2 Common Buzzard, a Raven, Common Kestrel and a Peregrine Falcon on the cliffs.

Several Crag Martin and Alpine Swift were recorded. There were some Shag on the water and many Yellow-legged Gull too.

Yet another Turtle Dove was heard along the path,a species which is obviously doing fairly well around here.

Other birds seen were:Linnet, Hooded Crow, Spotless Starling, Blackcap, Chaffinch, Spectacled Warbler, Greenfinch, Great Tit, Blackbird, Collared Dove and Wood Pigeon.

Annoyingly there were two birds I could not positively identify due to poor, snatched views. The first was either a Collared or Pied Flycatcher. The other was possibly a Tree Pipit[more likely] or a Meadow Pipit.

Capo Graccia

The local bus takes you to the entrance of the cave via the steps [2.40 euros return]. A marvelous lofty location to see Peregrine Falcon, Yellow-legged Gull, Crag Martin, Alpine Swift and Pallid Swift. I found a Subalpine Warbler in the maquis near the car park as well as a Garden Warbler. Many Sardinian Warbler were heard or seen.
Also recorded Linnet and the inevitable Hooded Crow.

Porto Conte Bay

An impressive huge sheltered bay. We walked east from the hotel and found a colony of 41 European Bee-eater near the camp site - another prolific species hereabouts.

There were 8 Shag on the rocks not far away with many Yellow-legged Gull. A Common Sandpiper was seen flying away near the Shag.

There is an extensive area of reed beds behind the beach. On exploring them I heard a Cetti's Warbler. The usual Sardinian Warbler were seen and one Spectacled Warbler and Blackcap were heard. Several Spotted Flycatcher were seen in the trees just behind the beach.

The Hotel Grounds

There are extensive gardens and greenery around the hotel. I had a great view of a Turtle Dove one night just peering out of some shrubs and trees. Many Alpine Swift were seen flying over during the week.

Other birds: Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Hooded Crow, Collared Dove, Blackcap, Yellow-legged Gull, Blackbird and Spotted Flycatcher.

Airport

A huge colony of House Martin were nesting in the airport buildings.

ZANTE

If you google ‘Zante Birds’ you will struggle to find many reports, and may not even bother taking your bins. That would be a mistake, especially if you stay in the Keri area, in the south west of Zante.

We stayed at the Keri Village Spa Hotel set high up in the hills between Agalas and Keri Village. We were there from 8/6/16 to 15/6/16. A smashing little all inclusive, adult only hotel where the staff couldn’t do enough for you.

Within minutes of walking from the hotel some of the most dramatic, unspoilt scenery in Zante and probably Greece, is on your doorstep.

The villa on the hill tracks.

If you are not staying at the hotel there is enough room to park just outside.

Walk up the hill towards the TV mast and carry on till you see a villa on a hill. There were at least two Woodchat Shrike on either side of the track before the house. The Olivaceous Warbler and Sardinian Warbler started in earnest as soon as you reach the crest of the steep climb. There were dozens around here, heard, rather than seen mostly.

Just before the house a steep track turns left off the main path. As it drops down and turns right there is an obvious brown tilled field. There were always a pair of Crested Lark in the field and a family of Stonechat in the maquis to the right. There were marvellous cliff-side views where we saw at least one Eleanora’s Falcon on every visit.

A pair of Kestrel were seen regularly as well as Swifts which looked very much like Pallid Swift but could have been Common Swift. About 12 Yellow-legged Gull were generally around most days.

Walk back to the main track and take another short diversion along the track going towards the sea [just left off the main track by the villa entrance gate]. There was a Cirl Bunting here, another Stonechat, a Crested Lark and a pair of Common Buzzard. Another Eleanora’s Falcon was perched on a high rock just to the right, on the last day. A Black-eared Wheatear was spotted one evening near the villa gates.

Return to the main track turn left and head for the tarmac road. There was another Black-eared Wheatear in one of the olive groves to the right, tens of House Sparrow, a flock of Goldfinch, a few Greenfinch, Collared Dove, Great Tit and several Blackbird. Another Woodchat Shrike was perched on a dead tree to the left just past the villa gates. There was a vast number of Barn Swallow and a few Red-rumped Swallow here as well.

When you reach the tarmac road turn left and head towards the cliffs. Stay on the road until it climbs and turns a sharpish right. There is a track on your left just on the bend. It drops down then turns right. You will see the cliffs to your right. Head to the edge and the views of the steep cliff, rocky island and deep blue sea is breathtaking. This was a great place to see Eleanora’s Falcon. There was a pair here every day.

Ag.Konstantinou

Carrying on from the above walk, return to the tarmac road and turn left. The road splits to the right after a few yards. Stay left and carry on till the road becomes a rough track. Look out for a few colourful beehives and head towards them keeping them to the left of the track. Make sure you don’t take the left track which splits off just by a small disused quarry. Eventually the rough track meets a tarmac road. Turn left and head towards the sea. The road winds down to the cliff edge which is stunning. There are unspoilt views of steep cliffs and the uninhabited coastline as far as the eye can see.

Along the way, here were 3 Eleanora’s Falcon, a pair of Kestrel, Yellow-legged Gull, a pair of Common Buzzard and several Olivaceous Warbler and Sardinian Warbler. Another pair of Eleanora’s Falcon were perched on the rocky island just off the coast looking south.

The caravan track

Turn left out of the hotel and go down to the junction. Turn left. Just along here there were three Spotted Flycatcher including a juvenile, on the wires. There is a rough track just off the main road to your right. This leads to a caravan which is as far as you need to go. Again your ears will be assaulted by numerous Olivaceous Warbler and Sardinian Warbler warbling and calling. There were another two Woodchat Shrike, a pair of Common Buzzard, lots of Barn Swallow and several Greenfinch. Oddly I heard the clear 'ooop oop oop' sound of a Hoopoe near the caravan but can find no records of this species in Zante. I went back to check the next day and heard it again!

When you return to the main road you can turn right, take the next left and carry on till you meet the rough track which leads to the ‘villa on the hill’ track. This then leads back to the hotel.

Keri Beach

The hotel helpfully provided a free shuttle to this lovely little resort. There is a ‘lake’ which is really a half dried out reed bed. It takes around 45 minutes to do the circuit. I heard a Reed Warbler and two Cetti's Warbler on the way round. Another visitor recorded Fan-tailed Warbler. Other birds recorded: Barn Swallow, Mallard, Sardinian Warbler, Red-rumped Swallow, Yellow-legged Gull, Collared Dove, House Sparrow and Feral Pigeon.
There were lots of Terrapins, frogs, butterflies and dragonflies in the small creeks and streams.

Costa De La Luz, Spain - 20th - 27th September 2015

‘Never go back’, or so you are warned. Well we went back to the same hotel [the Melia Atlantico] during more or less the same week as last year, and had no regrets. In fact,the bird watching even excelled the previous year, maybe because the weather was more settled and there were more migrants around. We were there from 20th to 27th September 2015.

For those who don’t know the area, it lies just across the Portuguese border and those staying there generally fly into Faro.

The Isla Canela Marshes.

These marshes are vast and stretch from Ayamonte to the eastern edge of the island. There is a track at Punta Del Moral which circumnavigates a large area but they can be observed from many different locations. If you take the track to the west of the roundabout at Punta Del Moral there is a short dirt track which overlooks some of the marshland.

One of the best viewpoints is from the road to Ayamonte just west of the Iberostar Hotel. Walk west,beyond the roundabout and find a dirt track on your right.Follow your nose till the dirt track briefly turns into a tarmac road. A big attraction to this area is Greater Flamingo.Last year they were not always easy to locate due to the vastness of the marshland. They were there in big numbers this year however, till we left on the 27th. The maximum number seen was 56, on the 26th. A male Marsh Harrier flew past when I first located the Flamingos.Either a male or female/immature were seen on every visit to the marshes. Black-winged Stilt were seen on three days; the most seen was 9 on the 23rd. Spoonbill peaked at 12, on 22nd and the following day. There were several Black-tailed Godwit around and the most seen on one visit was 26, on the 23rd. Anyone who knows the area will know just how many Kentish Plover can be seen here.They were well into double figures on every visit.

There are two sounds you will hear over and above all: the calls of Whimbrel and Common Redshank. Both species are numerous and Common Redshank totalled over a hundred most days. There were good numbers of Grey Plover, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Ringed Plover and Dunlin. Also, at least 3 Greenshank were around on each visit. Black Stork, in small numbers, were often flying around or feeding in the ditches and saltpans. Only 2 Knot were seen and a just few Curlew too. Common Sandpiper were not as evident as last year with just a handful observed. Common Kingfishers were noted every time we went. A Caspian Tern flew down the river at the northern edge on the 23rd.This was like deja-vu.I saw a Caspian Tern in the exact same spot last year! Common Terns were present every day and a Little Tern was fishing then feeding a juvenile which was waiting on the riverbank.The Terns roost at Punta Del Moral on high tide perched on wooden poles. There were some Sandwich Tern as well.

I have often seen Yellow Wagtail on the edges of the banks and three appeared near the hide on the 22nd. There are good numbers of Sardinian Warblers all over the marshes as well as a few Fan-tailed Warbler. A couple of Willow Warblers were recorded. Other birds recorded were Cormorant, Yellow-legged Gull, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull and Mediterranean Gull, Stonechat, Hoopoe, Crested Lark, Serin, House Sparrow, Red-rumped Swallow, Barn Swallow and Magpie.

The Promenade to the Ayamonte Road.

Despite the presence of hotels and appartments credit must be given to the planners for maintaining a long stretch of dunes with a dense coverage of trees and shrubs.They achieved this by creating a border of lawns and palm trees next to the promenade bordered by a long fence on the edge of the dunes. They then built long board walkways to the beach. The result: a huge area attractive to resident birds and migrants. The dunes are still in great shape and generally large areas are left undisturbed by human interference.

The most noticeable species throughout the week was Pied Flycatcher. They used the dune fence as a launching pad and I recorded 28 sightings, including 9 individuals on the 26th. They were vying with Spotted Flycatchers which peaked at 6 on the 24th. Stonechats were seen in good numbers with a maximum of 9 on the 24th. A Common Nightingale was seen peeking out of the dune trees one evening. Crested Lark and Hoopoe were always around and the latter reached a maximum of 6 on the 25th of September. Sardinian Warbler were here, there and everywhere. Other warblers noted were: Spectacled Warbler, Garden Warbler [maximum 4 on the 26th] Willow Warbler [common] Chiffchaff [2 seen], Blackcap, Melodious Warbler and Fan-tailed Warbler. There were big flocks of House Sparrow, Serin and Common Waxbill. Every day migrating Red-rumped Swallow and Barn Swallow were passing through in vast numbers. Other birds recorded were Great Tit, Robin, Blackbird, Spotless Starling and Collared Dove.

You can extend this walk to the Ayamonte Road.I used to cut through the well - kept park area just past the Iberostar Hotel. Just past the Iberostar there is a roundabout on the road to Ayamonte.Keep on heading west till you see an open flat field on your right[about 250 yards west of the roundabout]. I recorded Great Grey Shrike, Northern Wheatear, Pied Flycatcher, Hoopoe, Stonechat, Crested Lark and Serin here. Serin are clearly thriving hereabouts with large flocks common and widespread.

I mention in the above marsh section how you can also see the Greater Flamingo from this area - so it is well worth the extra walk!

The River Estuary and Stone Jetty.

Yet another wonderful habitat! The area east of the estuary is a massive roosting location for Yellow-legged Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull.
There were several Mediterranean and Black-headed Gulls around. It is also the resting place for Common Tern and one or two Little Tern. Two Audouin's Gull were spotted on the 21st. It comes into it’s own around an hour after peak high tide. Suddenly waders appear from nowhere. There was one Little Stint on the 26th preceded by 3 on the 24th. A flock of up to 8 Bar-tailed Godwit were there all week. An impressive flock of 21 Grey Heron turned up on the 21st.The Little Egrets were out in force too. Inevitably there were several Kentish Plover - you see them all over the place here!There also many Ringed Plover scurrying around.

There were many other waders including: Oystercatcher, Redshank, Greenshank, Sanderling, Turnstone, Whimbrel, Grey Plover, Dunlin and Curlew. Grey Plover are particularly attracted to the estuary and the Isla Canela marshes. Always numerous and some still in breeding plumage. If you wander out to the end of the Stone Jetty you will inevitably spot Gannets,not too far out. If there is a strong onshore wind you should also spot some Cory’s Shearwater.

The Beach

A great place to see Sanderling, Turnstone, Little Tern, Common Tern, Crested Lark and……..you’ve guessed it! more Kentish Plover. Amongst a mixed flock of Gulls I also found three more Audouin’s Gull on the 21st of September. Massive numbers of passing Red-rumped Swallow and Barn Swallow were seen here most days.

It was a wonderful week. The bird watching was brilliant - all within a couple of miles of easy walking from the hotel. It was that good we might go back again next year!

Last edited:
There are so many options that it's difficult to give specific advice without knowing a little more about what you & your family want to get out of the trip and what time slots you have in mind. For a variety of good birds and the spectacle of mass migration of raptors & storks then Cadiz province takes some beating. Bonanza is also excellent for wader photography and a number of local firms have access to photography hides

Quinta do Lago may well not have suited you - to be fair its good for a few nice waterbird species but seriously lacking on many of the breeding passerines and raptors "available" in southern Portugal, as well as the steppic species, like sandgrouse and bustards. I personally wouldn't stay there for free, I get the jitters after being surrounded by posh golf courses and expensive villas and the sound of modern gardening - not to mention the white socks 'n sandals brigade - but that's a personal viewpoint...and I do live in the Algarve so I'm maybe spoiled ;).

If you are up to hiring car you could take some time away from the any of a multitude of beach resort type locations in southern Portugal and, as John says, in southern or Med Spain. Wherever you stay, you will be within an hour, rarely more, from large protected inland areas and probably nearer to a good wetland site or two. Once you find a nice beach area and hotel that suits your needs you will just need to get informed on local birding. I'd be tempted by Cadiz, Almeria or the Algarve but also by almost any area from Barcelona to Gibraltar! They all have their benefits.

Elvisboy.

I'm not surprised Robinsons in Quinta Da Ria,Portugal is booked to be honest,it's very popular and a great hotel.The nearest place where there are other hotels are Cabanas and Tavira.If you stayed in Cabanas there are easy walks east to the best birdwatching areas either along the coast or the cycle track which goes east from Cabanas.

Another place in Portugal with a good beach,a good choice of hotels and some decent birds is Praia Da Roche. The intertidal river behind the old town is particularly good for birds as the tide drops. It has also got good road connections with the rest of the Algarve.

I was trying to remember the nearest good hotel from the Baia Di Conte Hotel in Sardinia. We looked at the Hotel Punta Negra when we visited the area and it looked pleasant enough. It is a couple of miles from Alghero. It is not within walking distance of the Natural Park but the bus stops there and it is only a short car journey away.
The Baia Di Conte is your best bet if you've got children though.
Looking at the Thomsons website there is more choice of hotels in Alghero itself if you search Sardinia then Alghero.

Another place I've thought of is Fuertaventura which has a slightly different variety of birds.
Caleta De Fuste is a good base and the Barceló and Elba Hotels are worth investigating. There is a large beach nearby.
You can walk to the Barranco De La Torre[described below] from both of them. There is an efficient cheap bus service on the island these days so you could get away with not hiring a car.
We stopped off there for a day this year on a cruise and to give you an idea I reported,

'We took the hourly bus to Las Salinas[number 3] from the bus station at Puerto Del Rosario, 15 minutes from the cruise port. It had been 15 years since my last visit so I feared the worst.

I needn’t have worried. Although Caleta De Fuste has spread like a rash it hasn’t quite reached this far. There were several Berthelot's Pipits and Yellow Legged Gull around the salt pans. A big flock of Spanish Sparrow were around the restaurant area and a Southern Grey Shrike was perched on a shrub in the garden of one of the villas.

We headed on to the Barranco De La Torre which remained the same as it was all those years ago. There was an Egyptian Vulture circling overhead, 3 Common Buzzard, 6 Raven, 1 Merlin, 6 Trumpeter Finch, 5 Barbary Partridge, 2 Berthelot’s Pipit,4 Collared Dove and 2 Yellow-legged Gull.

The Merlin was being harassed by the party of Ravens but it was twisting and turning giving them a good run for their money. An Egyptian Vulture was seen not far from here on my last visit, so this must be some sort of hotspot for this species. The authorities had placed a sign asking people not to go beyond a marked point so not to disturb the birds during the breeding season. Wonders will never cease!

On the sail out from the island there were good numbers of Cory’s Shearwater, 4 Bulwer's Petrel and a few Dolphin.

Last edited:

Wouldn't worry too much, anywhere in the Med is going to be a birding paradise compared with Hereford.........saying that, Mallorca would probably get my vote in early May, lot's of pretty good Hotels in Puerto Pollenca or Alcudia and loads of good birding on your doorstep.
Alternatively, if you can get in (usually booked up by now) Lesbos is superb for birds and is always good value.

Nick

Thanks all for your help a lot of food for thought.
We went to majorca last year but it was in end of june so not much about.
We are going to cuba (varadero) in a couple of weeks so hope to get some descent birding/photos there.
Portugal does look good from what you all have said just need to find a hotel thats near a reserve thats not booked already.

Thanks all for your help a lot of food for thought.
We went to majorca last year but it was in end of june so not much about.
We are going to cuba (varadero) in a couple of weeks so hope to get some descent birding/photos there.
Portugal does look good from what you all have said just need to find a hotel thats near a reserve thats not booked already.

Cheers!
Enjoy your holiday in Cuba. You won't have much problem finding some decent birds there. Let's know how you get on.

Wouldn't worry too much, anywhere in the Med is going to be a birding paradise compared with Hereford.........saying that, Mallorca would probably get my vote in early May, lot's of pretty good Hotels in Puerto Pollenca or Alcudia and loads of good birding on your doorstep.
Alternatively, if you can get in (usually booked up by now) Lesbos is superb for birds and is always good value.

Nick

Can you recommend any decent hotels in Alcudia or Puerto Pollensa,preferably those I can get to the bird reserve easily by public transport or walking.

Last edited:
will let you know how we get on
We went to costa rica in 2015 for our honeymoon stayed at the rio guanacasta fantastic place for birds and monkeys loads to see and photograph just around the hotel grounds hope to go back for my 60th birthday in a few years time would recommend the country and the hotel to anyone.

Can you recommend any decent hotels in Alcudia or Puerto Pollensa,preferably those I can get to the bird reserve easily by public transport or walking.

S'Albufera is on the southern edge of Puerto Alcudia and is brilliant for birds. Photography was easy from the viewpoints, although not been for a few years can't imagine it's changed much. Cant help on the Hotel front as we had family living there and stayed with them. There is a bus stop right outside the reserve so any Hotel on or near the main coast road should make getting there pretty easy. L'Albufereta is between Puerto Pollenca and Alcudia, is also accessible by bus and is also good for birds.

HTH

Nick

You might find the forthcoming Crossbill Guide on southern Portugal helpful since it should be available before you go. Although, trust me, western Andalucia's even better ... ;)

Attachments

• XbillPortugal.jpg
    XbillPortugal.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 37
S'Albufera is on the southern edge of Puerto Alcudia and is brilliant for birds. Photography was easy from the viewpoints, although not been for a few years can't imagine it's changed much. Cant help on the Hotel front as we had family living there and stayed with them. There is a bus stop right outside the reserve so any Hotel on or near the main coast road should make getting there pretty easy. L'Albufereta is between Puerto Pollenca and Alcudia, is also accessible by bus and is also good for birds.

HTH

Nick
Thanks Nick- very helpful

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back