• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Thurrock Thames NR - Another great evening - Two Kestrels near the visitor centre then the Short-Eared Owl. Curlews calling from the Thames. As I headed back a Kingfisher calling on the creek side of the sluice. Then Kingfishers calling from the Tench and main lake after the usual Kingfisher by the nest. Great!

The Short-eared Owls had bought out a few birders this evening at Thurrock Thameside. I saw one and two are reported on EBWS. There was a Kestrel hovering.
The Kingfishers were calling on the Tench and Wharf lakes as I walked back. Great!

Stanford Warren fishery - at first it was what no Kingfisher!
There were a pair of Egyptian Geese with eight chicks. Never seen that before.
There was a grass snake on the path, I have never seen a wild snake before.
In the field up to the Thurrock Thameside visitor centre there were two Kestrels.
I think I saw the Short-eared owl down the bottom of the field.
A dog walker had seen a Marsh Harrier yesterday.
On my way back I checked the Match lake and saw a Kingfisher flying across.
Great!

Stanford Warren NR - three Kingfisher chasing up and over the footpath making the tutting noise.
At the sluice a Kingfisher shot past over my shoulder following the creek.
Then on the field the Short-eared owl again.
Great!

Thames Thurrock NR - with my naked eye I saw a splash in the water on the creek by the sluice but couldn't see what it was. With my bins I could just see a Kingfisher sat on the sluice wall, quite high up.
On the fields there were Starlings gathering.
I'd heard a Kingfisher call on both the main and match lake at the fishery. There a few RNPs and a GSWP.
On the way back there were two Kestrels hovering near each other. One by the A130 round-a-bout and another just a short distance away. The light was fading.
Great!

My best evening ever down Thames Thurrock NP;
A Barn Owl sat on the fence just down from the visitor centre. It then dropped down on prey a couple times before flying off. A photographer got some decent shots.
There was another Owl only 30 or so metres from the Barn Owl in a bush. I thought it was another Barn Owl but another photographer got some photos and it was a light juvenile Short-Eared owl.
Elsewhere there was a Kestrel hovering and a Buzzard flew over.
I'd already seen a Kingfisher on the fishing lakes and then saw another flying up to and sitting on the sluice wall.
Great!

Thames Thurrock NP;
A Barn Owl sat on the fence again just down from the visitor centre. It dropped down on prey a couple times before flying off.
Kestrel hovering again.
Kingfisher on the fishing lake and then two on the creek. They were then at the sluice.
Great!

Thames Thurrock NP; No Owls this week which is a pity.
Yesterday at Langdon EWT, there was a Kingfisher for the first time in a few weeks. Thanks to Ruth Barnes on BTO for giving us the lead.
This evening the Kingfisher were hiding down Thurrock and Warren fishery. I just heard one on the tench lake. The nights are drawing in. Not so great.
The best bird I saw after a few GWP was a Redstart. Great!

This evening the Kingfisher are still hiding down Thurrock and Warren fishery. As it got dark I could hear one calling on the main lake. Great!

Last Thursday a Kingfisher flew past me as I walked along the footpath next to the Stanford Warren Creek.
This evening one was calling on the main lake and then one was under the sluice on the creek.
A Kestrel was struggling flying against the wind and was then trying to hover and hunt.
Great!

Warren Fishery; there were not many fisherman & the main lake was calm so the Kingfisher was in the corner down from the car park.
Then there was a Kestrel on the footpath in Thurrock Thameside NR, it flew to a telegraph pole. Finally as I finished my run along the footpath a Kingfisher called from the creek as it headed to the sluice. Great!

At Warren Fishery I saw the Kingfisher flying towards me down the back channel that is similar to a river.
Then it saw me and flew a little way back and high up a tree.
It then flew high up and over the island to avoid me. It flew to the trees in the corner down from the car park. The same place as yesterday.
After my run around Thurrock Thameside NR there was a Kestrel on the telephone pole and a Kingfisher called as it went past up the creek.
Little Egrets are on the creek most evenings and this evening there was a Heron.
Great!

The evenings are getting too dark, too quick, my last chance for a Kingfisher down the Warren.
There were Kingfisher on the main and tench lake at Warren Fishery.
Yesterday there was a Kestrel in the bad light over Thurrock Thameside.
Great!

We've had no luck with a Kingfisher at EWT Langdon Lake.
We tried Bas Vegas/Aquatels and there it was a Kingfisher on the brook/stream behind.
Blink and you would have missed it.
Great!

Finally a Kingfisher on EWT Langdon Lake, pretty good views as well.
It flew around the edge from the overflow to the inlet, stopped there and then flew on again.
The sun was shining so we could see it's colours. Great!

I'm still going for it lol. I was lucky at the weekend and found 10 Birmingham Kingfisher.
Our luck continued today. I thought it was too windy and the water too choppy at Langdon EWT but next minute there was a Kingfisher. It was hiding in the cove. It briefly flew out and saw us and flew back in again lol. Great!

Langdon EWT; A Kingfisher flew from the reeds and across the lake. It flew an impressive s shape and disappeared behind the island. Great!

Stanford Warren fishery; a Kingfisher on the main lake and calling and then either the same one or another on the match lake and calling. Great!

I was looking for a Kingfisher as per usual yesterday but instead there was a Kestrel and then a Barn Owl down Thurrock Thames NP.
This evening there was a Kingfisher on the fishery. Great!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back