• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small finch-like bird, whitehall PA. (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
sorry no images as I had no time to run for my camera.

I was outside refueling my tractor to cut the grass when I heard a song I never heard before (do-weet do-weet do-weet tseeeet) is how i can describe it ha!

I searched for the bird and found it but couldn't identify it. It was about house-sparrow sized and the back looked like house-sparrow patterned. What as me confused is that the head looked really light with a few light and dark lines running from the front to back of the head. On the chest the bird had a black spot with a diagonal black line a little bit a ways from the larger one.

At first I didn't know what it was, maybe a new one for me...but maybe its a molting House-sparrow so I came to you guys for help once again.

thanks,
Matt

Hard to tell without a photo Matt. The song description certainly does not sound like House Sparrow. If it had some breast streaking, I would say Song or Savannah Sparrow.

gonna take a big flyer but did the bird look anything like this?

American Tree Sparrow is a good guess in terms of appearance, but they would be quite unlikely at this time of year in that area. They are mostly winter/migratory birds.

Best,
Jim

yeah I figured without a picture it'd be tough, but in the link posted by totaljohn, that is kinda what the black spot looked like. But I guess all I can do is wait and see if it is still around and get a picture, or ID it myself, as it is probably a house sparrow.

actually after I came back a read your post again Jim..it did kinda look like this Savannah Sparrow http://www.christinevadai.com/SASP2.jpg ... but i can't clearly remember the fine little markings, but maybe that is because it was a little bit aways from me

are they common this time around in my area?

They should be around, but they have a preference for open fields. They are not that common around residential areas. But if there are open fields around your house, then they may be there.

Best,
Jim

Actually Jim...I saw it in my backyard sitting in a small pine, but behind the thicket I found him in there is a small field with tall grass so maybe, I did just see him again but got a horrible look so no help there.

Thanks for the advice pianoman but it definitely wasn't that, thank you for the suggestion though

I'll take my camera with me this time for sure!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back