Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 26th December 2015, 17:41   #1
Hummingbird Market

Video--->Verdin & Hummingbirds

Around the holidays we are often blessed with little nectar loving Verdin. I believe here in Tucson we are close to the limit of their northern-most range. And best of all there are many and they are mating and nesting now. Their voice is always the first to alert all the other feeding birds of the Cooper's Hawk nearby.

The Gila Woodpeckers attack the ripening oranges on the top of the trees exposing the innards and then the Verdin partake. I also cut oranges in half and hang from trees and they are stripped clean in a morning.

I remove the top of the Aspects feeder and the Verdin, finches and hummingbirds all slurp up the nectar. But as the day warms up the exposed nectar also attracts bees who could drown in the nectar. Thus, I replace the cover. Gotta love the bees also.

https://youtu.be/KgDA7ovG1Xs
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: