Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 18th January 2016, 05:10   #1
carlgold

Hummer Behavior

Hello folks, three weeks into hummingbirds and trying to learn all I can. Live in San Francisco.

Two weeks ago, I put up a feeder and have one hummer coming. Would like feedback on his behavior.

I'll call him #1. He stays in a nearby branch in my yard for pretty much the whole day. He would regularly take a drink and fly to a dense tree perhaps two hundred feet away (maybe he has a nest?) then comes back to my yard a few minutes later. It seems when other birds comes by, he chases them away. (I guess that's what he's doing)

The past week, I've noticed a different, young looking hummer along side #1, he doesn't chase this one away, maybe it's #1's baby? The past few days, #1 stopped coming to my yard and the young one seems to have taken over #1's spot on the same branch in my yard. Very curious what happened to #1.

What do you think is going on? thanks.
Old Thursday 16th June 2016, 19:40   #2
deidrahall
Birdacious

The male hummers like to dominate the feeders I noticed. I have one that does the same exact thing. The other hummer you saw might be a female. The male may have found another feeder to dominate or he has other hang outs to visit :)
Old Saturday 18th June 2016, 17:58   #3
Chris D

2 feeders (not within sight of each other) is a better way to start. Things are violent and territorial. Hummingbirds too.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: