• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummer Behavior (1 Viewer)

carlgold

Hello folks, three weeks into hummingbirds and trying to learn all I can. Live in San Francisco.

Two weeks ago, I put up a feeder and have one hummer coming. Would like feedback on his behavior.

I'll call him #1. He stays in a nearby branch in my yard for pretty much the whole day. He would regularly take a drink and fly to a dense tree perhaps two hundred feet away (maybe he has a nest?) then comes back to my yard a few minutes later. It seems when other birds comes by, he chases them away. (I guess that's what he's doing)

The past week, I've noticed a different, young looking hummer along side #1, he doesn't chase this one away, maybe it's #1's baby? The past few days, #1 stopped coming to my yard and the young one seems to have taken over #1's spot on the same branch in my yard. Very curious what happened to #1.

What do you think is going on? thanks.

The male hummers like to dominate the feeders I noticed. I have one that does the same exact thing. The other hummer you saw might be a female. The male may have found another feeder to dominate or he has other hang outs to visit :)

2 feeders (not within sight of each other) is a better way to start. Things are violent and territorial. Hummingbirds too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back