Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 4th October 2016, 00:44   #1
cgbirds

Help with Hummingbird ID ?

I have had a large number of Hummingbirds coming to my feeders for the past few years. More and more every year. I have been looking at pictures to try and ID the type. The closest match I have found looks like it is the "Broad Tailed Hummingbird". But the info I have read online does not show them being in my area.
I have had what seems like the same group coming to my feeders from July until October. This year I have dozens of them. So many that they empty a 72oz and a 48oz feeder in less then 2 days. I am on my second 25lb bag of sugar from Costco already this year, but I am not complaining because I love to watch them.

I would appreciate any help in figuring out what type of Hummers these are.

Please see the attached .jpg

Thank You for the help,
cg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	birds.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	600631  Click image for larger version

Name:	birds2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	600641  Click image for larger version

Name:	birds3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	600642  Click image for larger version

Name:	birds4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	600645  Click image for larger version

Name:	birds5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	600646  

Last edited by cgbirds : Tuesday 4th October 2016 at 01:23.
Old Tuesday 4th October 2016, 02:04   #2
emc

Wow, having so many hummers at your feeder is fantastic! I occasionally see one in my yard but have never been able to get them to the feeder
Old Tuesday 4th October 2016, 16:23   #3
cgbirds

I received messages that suggest that these are Anna's Hummingbirds. Thanks very much for that feedback. When I first started trying to figure this out I looked at pictures of the Anna's, but the males looked very different from what was at my feeder. But looking online again I do find many examples that are very similar to the birds at my feeder. Anna's are supposed to be very common in my area, so it makes sense that these are Anna's.

Thank You
cg
Old Wednesday 5th October 2016, 20:37   #4
ducbucln

I'm north of San Francisco and I have at least 18 Anna's at my feeders now and I expect them to spend the winter here as they've done in previous years. They manage to clean out three of my four feeders (lg.sized) every day so the sugar goes quickly. By the way, the fourth feeder is "owned" by what I feel is the grandpa of the group and no one messes with him.lol

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th October 2016, 04:23   #5
Chris D

I'm waiting for a Broad-Tailed. Reno really isn't that far away. It would be my 7th species at the house. Also watch the skies for Condors. Eventually.................
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: