• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd (to me) big gulls, UK (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Apologies for the awful pics (phonescoped).

I don't really look at gulls.

One should show what to me looked interesting - adult mantle and wings (3rd bird back from the middle front bird), dark shawl and head markings, white/v pale iris, imm bill. Contrasted with the other ad/nr ad Herring Gulls in the eye and markings.

?

Second is an immature bird with oversized top mandible. Seen this in passerines, how common is it in gulls?

On a third note, anything to say the gull in image here (25th March) isn't anything but a Glaucous (bird looks a bit 'bloomed') - http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

Attachments

• DSC09580.jpg
    DSC09580.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC09584.jpg
    DSC09584.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 169
Assuming these were taken recently

1. This is a third/fourth winter Herring gull. It isn't possible to see the coverts clearly so it could be either as both show a pale bill with a black mark near the tip. The base bill colour does look yellowish so I'd say fourth.
2. Bill deformity is 'frequent but uncommon' in gulls I'd say - and some seem to be able to exist with it quite well. This does look an extreme case from what I can see in the photo.
3. The photo is too small for much review, but I'm sure I've seen a bigger/better version of this bird on Birdguides or RBA and it looked OK for Glaucous.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back