• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 advice (2 Viewers)

Sollas

Hello fellow optic geeks, I am in need of some professional advice.😀

I'm currently using the classic Nikon 8x32SE's and contemplating the purchase of a 10x32 bin without bursting the bank.

The Zeiss FL 10x32 sound great, albeit expensive, but I'm curious how these compare optically with the Monarch 7 and Zeiss Conquest models which I know are comparably cheaper.

I'm slightly concerned about "comparative brightness" between x8's and x10's but not sure how relevant this really is.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

I would think it all depends on when you do your birding. If you're out at dusk, dawn or in otherwise poor light, when it comes to an 32mm you're probably better off with an 8x.
The exit pupil (i.e. the amount of light getting to your eye) is the division of the objective size (32mm) by the magnification (10x, in your example). Obviously, having an 8x improves this. (3.2mm with 10x against 4mm with 8x exit pupil)
I have the 8x32FL and it is gorgeous!. Haven't tried the 10x, but i don't think the reduction in EP would work for me. The increase in mag wouldn't offset the decrease in light at the edges of the day.
If you're main criteria is brightness/light, i'd stick to the idea that lower objective size means looking at lower mag. No matter how good the glass, the basic physics don't change.
However, it depends on what you're planning to do with it.

Hi Paddy

My requirements are really more for raptors and viewing waders along the shoreline. The 8x are OK but I often feel I could do with that extra reach without having to get the scope out.

I've also curious with the Habicht 10x40 GA which could well fit this requirement.

Conundrums.....

Nice problem to have - enjoy the search!
If it's any help, a friend who spends much of his time on waders and gulls swears the Zeiss HT 42mm is the best tool for the purpose ever made.
Not sure if he's got the 8 or the 10, but resolution and light-gathering are superb. Probably not that too far on price-wise from getting a new FL if you shop around, and you may never have to think about buying another set again!

Hi Joachim,

Yes, another nice idea but highly unlikely. I can't for the life of me figure why any company discontinues one of their most prized assets. At least Swarovski continue the Habichts regardless of roof fashion.

Anyhow we are where we are and I'm pontificating whether to continue down the porro (Habicht) route or settle for a quality 10x32 roof such as the Zeiss FL.

I'm also a bit of a traditionalist and love the timeless rubber armour on the Swaro 10x40GA which are pitched at a rather competitive price all things being equal.

Hello fellow optic geeks, I am in need of some professional advice.😀

I'm currently using the classic Nikon 8x32SE's and contemplating the purchase of a 10x32 bin without bursting the bank.

The Zeiss FL 10x32 sound great, albeit expensive, but I'm curious how these compare optically with the Monarch 7 and Zeiss Conquest models which I know are comparably cheaper.

I'm slightly concerned about "comparative brightness" between x8's and x10's but not sure how relevant this really is.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
I've used an 8X32 SE for many years. If you want more reach (i.e. 10X) get a 10X42 and enjoy the added benefit of greater aperture. The small exit pupil of a 10X32 has never made me a fan of that configuration.

HI Sollas

Before you said you were a bit of a traditionalist I was going to suggest you might consider the Canon 10x30 IS II. The last time I tried these out I was very impressed. Lovely stable image, good enough brightness - the only drawbacks being not great close focus (not a problem for shorebirds or raptors), and slightly restrictive F.O.V.

I used to own both the Nikon 8x32SE and the 8x32 HG's. I just have the HG's now but the image did/does look a lot bigger in the HG's due to the closeness of the objective lenses. I could see a equal detail in both.

From your own suggestions the Conquest 10x32's would be my pick unless you can find Zeiss FL's at the right price. Just thought of the Nikon 10x35E's too...

...I'm curious how these (Zeiss FL 10x32) compare optically with the Monarch 7 and Zeiss Conquest models which I know are comparably cheaper.

Hi Sollas,

In my opinion the Zeiss FL 10x32 will run circles around the other two. It gives a very wide (6.9*) and very bright field of view, it's very compact and has an excellent (though somewhat fast) focus action. While it's true that a 3.2mm EP will require that you set your IPD correctly and carefully align the bino's pupils with your own, it is not true that a 10x32 will seem any less bright in bright light than any other bino, say a 10x42; as long as light levels are sufficient to cause your pupils to contract to 3.2mm or less, any differences in brightness will be a function of design and construction differences between the two binos, and will have nothing to do with the relative sizes of their objective lenses.

John

John,
What are the main advantage/s of the Victory 10x32 over the Conquest 10x32? The Conquest's FOV is 6.8 deg., and nearly all reviewers say it, too, is very bright. Thanks.
Adhoc

Hi John,

I guess you're probably right and most discussions would concur.
However being a porro fan I'm curious how the Habicht 10x40 would compare with the Zeiss FL 10x32. I'm curious whether it can hold its own against modern day alpha roofs.

In the past when looking at competitive alpha 8x32 roofs I certainly couldn't see any real benefit over my Nikon 8x32 SE. So I'm kind of thinking the same might apply with the 10x32's and that a quality 10x40 porro could still be a player...the Habicht being the last man standing here so to speak.

Dipped, How do you think the Nikon 10x32 HG's would stand up in this contest?

Sollas

I own both FL and Conquest HD 8x32s (not 10x) and I am a great fan of the Conquest and its fast focuser which for me makes it ideal in habitats where insects are cropping up nearby as well as distant birds. It is easy with the Conquest to go back and forth.

The FL's focuser isn't quite as fast and is a better balance for birding IMHO, and it has a brighter image with a bit more contrast and is sharper in the part of the field of view I use most which is the centre (not just dead centre). Is the FL worth the higher price? That is entirely up to you, I love them both and marginally favour the Conquest for its versatility but give the FL the nod if you are are just talking about optical quality. I suspect I would say the same if I had 10x models.

Lee

Sollas,

I would definitively try the Habicht before buying. I found it lacking in ease of view (due to the primitive eye-piece design?). The SE and especially the E2 are a lot better in this regard.

Have you considered the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42? Not much heavier than 32mm bins and the advantage of 42mm objectives for those overcast Scottish days :)

George

Sollas,

I would definitively try the Habicht before buying. I found it lacking in ease of view (due to the primitive eye-piece design?). The SE and especially the E2 are a lot better in this regard.

Have you considered the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42? Not much heavier than 32mm bins and the advantage of 42mm objectives for those overcast Scottish days :)

George

Hi,

E2 10x35 seconded if waiting for an SE 10x42 is not an option and the o.p. doesn't need glasses... fun bins those E2s... I have the 8x30.
My experiences with Habichts have not made me run and get one... but I only know the 8x30 so far.

Joachim

Dipped, How do you think the Nikon 10x32 HG's would stand up in this contest?

Hi Sollas

I'm not familiar with the 10x32 HG, but going on comparisons with my 8x32's to current models it lags in terms of brightness and control of CA. However it is still a very fine binocular and has superior build quality to mid-price models IMO.

I've just spoken with my local dealer who has advised that the Zeiss FL 10x32 range has been discontinued.

Is this correct?

Thanks Joachim, I kind of think the local dealer just wants to promote the new Victory HT range even though they don't yet have an 8 or 10x32 version

I'm hopefully going to try a few 10x options tomorrow so may widen my horizon somewhat, although most likely just confuse me further!!

Hi,

well new would have been Victory SF but no 32mm models yet either...

If you get a chance, having a look through a Kowa Genesis is worth it... they offer top notch optics at upper middle class prices...

Zeiss Conquest HD also deliver very nice performance at their pricepoint through the whole range... check if you are ok with the ER though, some models have a bit too much of it for some people without glasses - Zeiss is known to deliver longer eyecups for free on request though...

Joachim

Last edited:
I will second Joachim's mention of Genesis and also Meopta's MeoStar B1.

But Zeiss is still making FL 32mm, absolutely definitely, and it is still a terrific instrument.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back