• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Searching for best hiking solution: Opticron Discovery 8x32 or Leica Trinovid 8x20 (1 Viewer)

jebe68

Netherlands
Hopefully somebody with experience with both binoculars is having thé answer ;)

I'm looking for a lightweight hiking binoculars with a wide field of view. One that is around your neck all day or in the backpack, and that's also sturdy and is able to deal with different situations (rainy days, bumping into stuff etc). I narrowed the search to these two, but they are in a slightly different 'class'.

Here is my reasoning behind the two contenders:

- Trinovid 8x20 is of course known quality, and with recent price drops just affordable for me. Size/weight-wise it would be ideal for hiking. But with 20mm it might struggle in woodlands and other dusk situations.
side note: I'm aware with rainy and damp days an Ultravid 8x20 would be the better choice. But for those bins I would bleed financially. And then I would be too anxious to use them (as I already have dropped a small Steiner out of collimation:-C)

So my thought and reason for this survey:

- why not buy one of the most lightweight 30-32mm ones, with known quality? This opting for Opticron Discovery 8x32 caused me to theorize; it is able to suck in that much more light (compared to the struggles of a 20/25mm), it mustn't be too hard to have a similar viewing experience than the compromises you make with those more expensive high class tiny compacts....(and it's more affordable, which isn't too bad for my peace of mind if bumped/falling etc)

Or am I wrong?

Much appreciated

Last edited:
I don't have experience w/that particular Opticron, and I love the 8x20 format more than most, but I think you will find the 8x32 much easier to use and more versatile. The 8x20 format (I use Leica Ultravid) is only a better choice if you are unwilling to carry something larger.

--AP

Jebe,

I'm a little curious about your selections. The little Trinovid might be no match for the Ultravid but it's still a relatively expensive model at nearly €400 compared to the little Discovery at under €200. To be honest neither would make my shortlist, there are a number of other options which for me would be a better bet for hiking. To start with a couple of Opticron's, there is the Traveller Mg Black and their new Traveller ED which for me would make more practical sense. Their DBA Oasis was recently discontinued it it might be worth checking if there are any left at the discounted price.

The Nikon M7 8x30 is a cousin of the Opticron Traveller ED and very popular. The Hawke Sapphire ED is a double hinge at a very good price if you like small. Like other real compacts the hinge can work loose but is easily tightened. I know the Zeiss Terra Pocket has had a lot of attention but you make up your own mind on that.

Good luck,

David

Thanks, indeed I'm not willing to carry that much more than a 8x20. But to refine this question I might be willing to carry if the difference in size and weight isn't that big an issue anymore.

With the Leica 8x20 we're talking very small:

Weight: 235g (8.11 ounces)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 9.6cm x 3.7cm x 9.2cm
3.8in x 1.5 in x 3.6in

With the Discovery 8x32 it is:

Weight: 391g (13.79 ounces)
Dimensions (WxHxD):11.6cm x 4.6cm x 10.9cm
4.6in x 1.8in x 4.3in

So now why Discovery? Weight, FOV and better light performance than a compact, plus the extensive review of the Discovery as 'Outstanding' by renowned BestBinocularsReviews.com in mind: Is that Leica quality, minus a centimetre here and there, and 156grams less, worth the loss in light and handling is the question?

Did you like the Steiners in use? The Trinovid has better optics and mechanics, but would be similar in weight, size, ergonomics and viewing experience.

A small 8x32 will provide a more comfortable viewing experience, but will be bulkier. I don't know the Discovery, but wouldn't expect too much optically or mechanically. Not compared to the Trinovid which are little gems.

What I would like to recommend is the Bushnell Elite 7x26. Proven design with good optics, very comfortable to use and only 225 euro.

George

The little Discovery is a good value entry level binocular. It's light and good fun to use, but I wouldn't call it 'outstanding'. The Traveller Mg Black for example is 24 grams lighter, is made from magnesium alloy, Japanese made and comes with a 30year warranty. I'd concede the view is narrower, but what you get is sharper in my opinion. The Hawke Sapphire ED has a 0.625mm bigger exit pupil, is 6g heavier, 4mm longer, 5m more view than the Trinovid. It is made in China rather than Germany (or Portugal?) but is half the price. Do try out some of these models if you can before making your decision, it's impossible for us to judge your priorities and what works for you.

David

Thanks so much for these views as there is an overwhelming amount of binos (and ditto opnions) out there to consider...
(btw I had a Steiner Ultrasharp 26mm, not the best bino and didn't like it because it lacks minimum quality in many ways. Ergo; a small drop of less than 1mtr stopped it from working as well)

So I'm ready for a bit more quality and joyful viewing experience.
And so; narrowing down then, and centring the decision around the much appreciated and the one at the very top of my budget; Trinovid 8x20 (now available for ±€365,-)

Following your advices I've read some very enthousiastic (but few) opinions about the Hawke Sapphire 8x25 which people consider to be nearly as good as the Swaros CL (wow, really?).
Very attractive also pricewise (±€210,-); thanks for pointing that one out! :t:

Also the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 is getting a lot of thumbs up, but when compared to the Trinovid-quality it gets also some mixed views. It's also a bit more heavier and expensive (±€275). So this Zeiss I find a difficult one to decide upon.
Or might this be the perfect middle one among these three? For example because it's the strongest, thus better in rough conditions.

One of these three seem to be my next one for hiking (and a bit of birding). What could be of a decisive factor is its light-gathering and -producing capabilities. I find things as 'twilight factor' and 'exit pupil' still a bit unclear in all the reviews. Also the fact that the smaller Trinovid has higher numbers in this than the other two with larger lenses is somewhat puzzling. And beyond the numbers: how much brighter is that Trinovid to the eye? (wish I had a shop where you could test them alongside, there isn't helas).

Hopefully these are the kind of questions to make it more obvious which is definitely the better choice? or should I just pick one of these three blindfolded? ;)

jebe68, post 7,
In Maarssen The Netherlands there is a very good binocular shop with a large amount of different binoculars (House of Outdoor and Optics) and Vogelbescherming Nederland also has a fair supply although quite a bit les than House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

I always suggest you try a binocular before you purchase. Written specification and " reviews" are okay, but ergonomics and how they suit you is as important........your facial characteristics will play a part as well as how they feel and function in your hands. Gigs has suggested a place to test out some models. Please go along so you don't make an expensive mistake based on somebody else's opi ions.
I have several pairs of bins including a Trinovid 8 x 20, which my sister delays in returning cause she loves them, o:)

The exit pupil and twilight factor for an 8x20 is 2.5mm and 12.6 and for an 8x25, 3.125mm and 14.1 respectively. I wouldn't take much notice of the twilight factor. It strictly only applies to moonlight where the exit pupil isn't limiting and doesn't really apply to your use. The area of the exit pupil is more relevant here and an 8x25 is 56% bigger than an 8x20. That means without adjustment for transmission it is potentially 56% brighter.

The Sapphire ED was obviously styled on, if not coppied, from the previous generation of Swarovski compact, but being a 8x25 rather than 8x20 it was obviously brighter, even on a overcast August lunchtime. I've not compared it to the current Swarovski CL Pocket which is an 8x25. Perhaps others have?

David

jebe68, post 7,
In Maarssen The Netherlands there is a very good binocular shop with a large amount of different binoculars (House of Outdoor and Optics) and Vogelbescherming Nederland also has a fair supply although quite a bit les than House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

Neither of the above retail Opticron equipment . If you want try Opticron in the Netherlands then you may wish to try some of the retailers below.

Foto Rooijmans - Budel
Sipkes - Groningen
Foto Rembrandt - Maastricht
Vogelinformatiecentrum Texel - De Cocksdorp
Foto Fransen - Amsterdam
Ringfoto Focus - Voorburg
Ringfoto Focus - Den Haag
Focus Optiek - Middelburg

http://www.opticron.nl/pages/stockist_events_nl.html

Thanks for the addresses!
You are right - although very wise and sensible remarks to do a side-by-side - in practice that is an impossible enterprise. At least in the Netherlands.

I've put out some requests which retailer has the different binocs in house. But in order to get an impression of the Sapphire8x25, Trinovid8x20, Terra8x25 let alone combined with a Traveller/Discovery 32mm seems it will take a nationwide tour.... And then still no way possible to a side-by-side with more than 2 of the above.

:eek!:

OK the choice made is the Zeiss Terra 8x25. And I'm very happy.

I think it is the perfect answer in this short survey to find a strong winner in the sub-class bins for hiking.

Haven't had the chance to fully get into the experience in different circumstances. So bare with me on my first thoughts:
In testing it together with a Trinovid & Ultravid, and even a separate experience with the Opticron Discovery 32mm plus comparing it one on one to my 'older' hiking binocs; Vanguard Spirit ED 8x36 (which are a bit too heavy for long hikes) I can now say from my point of view the Zeiss Terra has the best op both worlds.

Of course the Trinovid (and certainly UV) excels in smallest & lightweight (235 gr), if you see what they are capable of. But they also take more of a fumbling and tuning your eye distance till you have them in the ideal viewing condition. The Zeiss is also double hinged but somewhat bigger and sturdily, and therefore easier to handle, and put up to the eyes faster without too much of an effort and time to get the pupil distance etc correct.

As mentioned, my older Spirit ED 8x36 is just a bit to bulky and slightly heavy (530gr), but I always loved the pretty good quality (ED glass) image and the light-gain you get when you exceed the compact section.

First impression however of a side by side compare with the Vanguard Spirit, and the Zeiss - which is 325 grams; so over 200 grams lighter - is that you would think they are alike in viewing experience. You also wouldn't think you're handling a 'compact', but this Zeiss is creating an even sharper image!

So I think if you look at price, image, weight & handling (and more) the Zeiss is definitely a winner!!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase.

I think this illustrates the importance of checking out models for yourself. The little Terra might not have topped my list, but my eyes and my usage are entirely different to yours. If it does just what you need, if it ticks all your boxes, that's all that't important. Enjoy!

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back