• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are E series chargers universal? (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I'm considering buying an E-510 or similar on eBay, and there are always a few available from the USA.

I assume these are all suppllied with a US style plug to fit their 110v wall points, but are these chargers actually 110v only? Can I change the plug and plug it into a 240v supply?

It has been a long time since I saw a camera battery charger that did not accept input from 110-240 V. I have no specific knowledge of the Olympus, but have difficulty imagining these would be that much different.

Niels

It has been a long time since I saw a camera battery charger that did not accept input from 110-240 V. I have no specific knowledge of the Olympus, but have difficulty imagining these would be that much different.

Niels
Thanks, Niels, that what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure. I'm also wondering if they have a removable cord, or whether I'd have to cut the plug off and replace it, or just twist the pins to fit an Australian socket.

I've tried searching the net for this information, but because there are so many ads for 3rd party chargers, I can't find any mention of the originals. I guess I could just buy a new one if necessary.

I have fitted US style chargers to Australian outlets using a plug adapter; One is of brand OBH, the other brand Melissa travel adaptor kit with 5 plugs.

Niels

The cord is also removable and uses a fairly common two pin connector looking like an 8 in end view. Its one of the few areas of commonality as (most?) camera manufacturers have adopted this standard.

I bought my E510 on ebay from an American supplier (it's the "evolt" usa model) and it came with an adapter to fit into a UK 3 pin socket. The cable has a 2 pin (2 flat vertical pins) which I assume is the normal USA type? The charger is the BCM-2 model which states input as 100-240 volts so you should be fine. As your Aussie wall sockets have 2 "angled" pins (from what I remember) you will also need an adapter or change the lead.

Pete

Im just back from west indies which use american system and charger worked fine with simple adapter available in UK from any electrical outlet though cheapest I saw was at glasgow airport

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back