• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Gulls at Hornsea (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Can someone give me a bit of advice regarding taking photos of Little Gulls at Hornsea? I've seen some cracking photos taken at this site but I hardly know the place at all. The usual kind of stuff - how reliable are they? Do they come close enough for shots with a 600mm lens? When is the best time? What is the best time of day? Is the light critical? Do the tides matter? Should I even bother???

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Can someone give me a bit of advice regarding taking photos of Little Gulls at Hornsea? I've seen some cracking photos taken at this site but I hardly know the place at all. The usual kind of stuff - how reliable are they? Do they come close enough for shots with a 600mm lens? When is the best time? What is the best time of day? Is the light critical? Do the tides matter? Should I even bother???

Thanks in advance for any tips.

They're easy peasy! Seriously. If you find a better spot for Little Gulls let us know. You can get on a boat or sit and watch them come close to the jettys.

I've visited a number of times to get shots and have never come away with anything worthwhile. Certainly not worth a special trip from Surrey IMO.

The site is very busy at weekends and disturbance is high. Most of the Mere edge is private with no access so you have to stay around Kirkhome Point with all the dogs, kids and chavs. The lake is huge with plenty of places for the birds to go. Sure you will see them - hundreds, possibly thousands, but to say quality pictures is going to be easy is not that accurate in my experience. Your best chance is to look on the jetties before people arrive. From memory you can't actually get onto Kirkholme Point until after 8AM but I may be wrong on that. The point faces West so the light will be behind you in the morning.

I have thought about hiring a boat so would like to hear of anyone's experiences with that approach.

I've visited a number of times to get shots and have never come away with anything worthwhile. Certainly not worth a special trip from Surrey IMO.

I agree, but I come up to Yorkshire occasionally to stay with friends and if I was to visit over the next 2 months, there's a good chance we'd be on the east coast anyway. (I spent three years birding in Yorkshire in the early 90s when I should have been studying hard at Sheffield University).

Sounds very hit and miss though and I'd almost certainly be there at the weekend unfortunately. I'd also be interested in getting some more details about the boat hire.

Your best chance is to look on the jetties before people arrive. From memory you can't actually get onto Kirkholme Point until after 8AM but I may be wrong on that.

Last time I visited the mere it was evening (approx 8PM) and the road to Kirkholme Point had a locked gate across. Presumably this is a security measure to keep the chavs out of the car park at night. I’m not sure if you can still access the point on foot.

Last time I visited the mere it was evening (approx 8PM) and the road to Kirkholme Point had a locked gate across. Presumably this is a security measure to keep the chavs out of the car park at night. I’m not sure if you can still access the point on foot.

The gate's just a five-bar to stop cars accessing, still? I just climbed over the gate and walked to the point (no distance) Nothing or no-one tried to stop me, and there's no sign saying keep out. That said, I was passing anyway - perhaps wouldn't make a long journey and chance it.

Graham

EDIT: What are views like from the footpath on the south side? Haven't walked along there.

Last edited:
The gate's just a five-bar to stop cars accessing, still? I just climbed over the gate and walked to the point (no distance) Nothing or no-one tried to stop me, and there's no sign saying keep out. That said, I was passing anyway - perhaps wouldn't make a long journey and chance it.

Graham

EDIT: What are views like from the footpath on the south side? Haven't walked along there.

I read this comment with amazement.
Kirkholme point is private with permmissive access for cars and on foot.
It always leaves me stunned when folk think a barrier is not meant for them.
Why sould land owners have to put notices on gates saying what access they do and do not allow on their land when a gate is closed and often locked.
Birders should not climb over gates or fences for access, it only gets the hobby a bad name and does nothing for conservation.

The little gulls were quite obliging yesteday perching about 10m off the end of Kirkholme Point.
More shots will be on the blog when I can get it working.

Attachments

• LG2.jpg
    LG2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 134
  • LG5.jpg
    LG5.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 144
  • LG7.jpg
    LG7.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 174
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back