• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some digiscoping experiments with a dslr (1 Viewer)

I relocated the tripod mount on the scope today and moved it about 3" nearer to the focuser. It's a really simple 15 minute job to do and just requires drilling two new holes in the tube. First undo the 3 screws holding the focuser to the scope body and then pull the focuser out of the scope. Then undo the tripod mount, there's a nut on the inside of the tube for each of the 2 screws. I mounted the tripod mount as far towards the focuser as was possible. Before drilling you need to remember that the focuser goes into the tube by 15mm so the hole nearest the end needs to be about 20mm in from the end. Drill both hoes, remove sharp edges etc and reassemble.

My scope is perfectly balanced now when the camera is on the scope. See photo.

Paul.

Attachments

• Skywatcher.jpg
    Skywatcher.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 195
Paul, sure agree on needing the set-up balanced,, just so much nicer to work with and if the clutch is not tight neither end will head south,,

I made a rail out of a metal bar that can be mounted in several locations for the scope as well as the camera so depending on the extension tubes, eyepieces, barlows or whatever is in use I can adjust the system for complete balance,,

Neil has a similar set-up he uses with his scope which gave me the idea,,

some nice work on those bird photos,,

Derry

Just got my setup going

I got a the Celestron 80 ED Spotting Scope. Also got some GSO 2" tubes (50mm and 2 35mm), GSO 2" 2X Barlow, and a GSO 2" diagonal for use on astro. Also picked up some non reporting canon mount tubes and a CNCSupply True2 adaptor.

Did my first attempt today, which I think turned out pretty good for my first use. Unfortunately I forgot to take a shot with just the scope to get an idea of the focal lenght.

These were approximately 12 meters away.

EDIT: Forgot to add these were all ISO 1600, did not run any noise reduction. Post Editing was very minimal. First one is full frame, rest just a slight crop.

First 2 closeups were with 85mm tubes - 2X Barlow - TMount - 1.4X TC - 23mm tubes - 40D

Last 2 were with 85mm tubes - 2X barlow - TMount - 40D

Attachments

• _MG_0360_CR.jpg
    _MG_0360_CR.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 169
  • _MG_0368_CR.jpg
    _MG_0368_CR.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 147
  • _MG_0391_CR.jpg
    _MG_0391_CR.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 148
  • _MG_0392_CR.jpg
    _MG_0392_CR.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 124
Nice results TenaCDed (what's your first name ?)

I suggest you try our digiscoping test and post your results. I will post mine shortly and Paul should do so as well. Once we have some results, I will publish a database of results. Should be interesting.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=121684

Sorry about that, John is my name.

I saw the latest post for doing the test. I tried to print out the test chart at work on a multi device laser printer, did not look very good though in the 18-20 range. I will try on my ink jet printer here, but it is a bit older.

Looks good, John, especially for 1600 iso. I will probably order the barlow and extension tubes tomorrow as I have been thinking about trying this setup with the Celestron 80mm astro scope. Here are a couple of other photos taken with the Celestron 80ed astro version:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=119363

After re-reading your post I might be confused. Are you using a Celestron Ultima 80ed spotting scope or the Celestron 80ED astro scope?

Rick

Last edited:
Looks good, John, especially for 1600 iso. I will probably order the barlow and extension tubes tomorrow as I have been thinking about trying this setup with the Celestron 80mm astro scope. Here are a couple of other photos taken with the Celestron 80ed astro version:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=119363

After re-reading your post I might be confused. Are you using a Celestron Ultima 80ed spotting scope or the Celestron 80ED astro scope?

Rick

Nice shots you posted, really like the hummer. I have the same one you have, but it is sold as a spotting scope, comes with the 45 degree diag, but it is an astro scope.

A little more testing

Did some more testing earlier today. I think I am really going to like this setup once I get used to manual focus. The 40D really helps by using live preview and zooming in. This is the best shot I got this morning. Just a quick run through Lightroom, pretty much defaults used.

Celestron 80 ED - 50mm tube - T Mount - 23mm tube - 1.4 Sigma EX TC - 15mm tube (needed so the 40D would shoot with TC)- 40D.

Attachments

• _MG_0430_cr.jpg
    _MG_0430_cr.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 153
Nice work John. Shame about the dark area top right and the out of focus bit in the bottom left. Apart from that the bird is spot on. The Sigma 1.4X looks to be doing a good job.

Paul.

How about this crop? The above one was just to change it to 8X10 format, did not tighten in at all. This one is cropped in more. Still have a little in the lower left, but the upper right is taken care of.

Attachments

• _MG_0430_cr2.jpg
    _MG_0430_cr2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 184
Tried a slightly wider crop with your original image. Cloned out the out of focus bit in the foreground and added a simple frame. It's a good photo, one that I'd have enjoyed capturing.

Paul.

Attachments

• edited.jpg
    edited.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 185
Finally did some birding !

I went on a birding trip down Quebec North Shore last week. Here are some decent prime focus digiscoping pictures... finally !

Digiscoping has been a long journey for me with some frustrating moments but I guess it was worth it. I am quite pleased to be able to take decent pictures at those distances, which is not possible with regular camera lenses unless one invests a fortune in a 5-600mm prime.

All were taken with a 20D and a Astro-Tech AT80ED.

Pic 1: about 1800mm (36X) using 2X GSO 2" barlow - distance about 250 m. - 1/320 S. ISO 400
Pics 2 & 3: about 2500mm (50X) using 2X barlow and 1.4X Canon TC - distance about 250 m. - 1/320 S. ISO 800
Pic 4: also 50X, distance 40-50 m. - 1/250 S. ISO 1600
Pic 5: also 50X, distance about 30 m. - 1/250 S. ISO 1600

Regards
Jules

Attachments

• 080904ae001kw.jpg
    080904ae001kw.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 080904ae025kw.jpg
    080904ae025kw.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 080904ae049kw.jpg
    080904ae049kw.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 080904ae117kw.jpg
    080904ae117kw.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 192
  • 080904ae141kw.jpg
    080904ae141kw.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 212
More pictures

Here are a few more pictures taken with the 20D and Astro-Tech AT80ED. I am more confident with the system and getting more and more keepers. Getting there !

All were taken with a 2" GSO ED barlow and a Canon 1.4X TC for 2500mm including the sensor crop factor. The common seal was at about 150 meters.

Attachments

• 080910ae025kw.jpg
    080910ae025kw.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 080911ae104kw.jpg
    080911ae104kw.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 080911ae205kw.jpg
    080911ae205kw.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 080910ae076kw.jpg
    080910ae076kw.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 144
  • 080911ae179kw.jpg
    080911ae179kw.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 168
Very good Jules. Looking at the histograms I'd say they are all slightly over exposed and they all exhibit a blue cast which I noticed on the ones from last week too. With all doublet scopes there will be one colour that isn't as well corrected as the other two colours so maybe your scope just has more of a blue shift. I ran one through Adobe Lightroom and it's easily corrected.

Paul.

Attachments

• wader.jpg
    wader.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 167
Very good Jules. Looking at the histograms I'd say they are all slightly over exposed and they all exhibit a blue cast which I noticed on the ones from last week too. With all doublet scopes there will be one colour that isn't as well corrected as the other two colours so maybe your scope just has more of a blue shift. I ran one through Adobe Lightroom and it's easily corrected.

Paul.

Thanks for the comments Paul. I think it is more my monitor that needs recalibration. I'll do that later this week.

Regards
Jules

I picked up a 28mm Tokina RMC lens on ebay this week. I've read reports before that they are supposed to be quite sharp so thought I'd try one out and they are quite cheap on ebay. This one was in Pentax mount which I didn't mind as I have a Pentax to Canon EOS adapter. Photos below were taken through my William Optics DCL-28 eyepiece on the Skywatcher scope with the Canon 450D.

Paul.

Attachments

• Robin_Tokina.jpg
    Robin_Tokina.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Woody_Tokina28mm.jpg
    Woody_Tokina28mm.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 185
D300 shooters?

Looking for good US source for adapters that will work well for getting this camera set up to mate with a scope. I have settled on an astro scope*, based on several emails with people from the forum, but they are Canon shooters.

As I understand it - it's scope, 50mm spacer, camera adapter and possibly a modified short spacer, camera. It's the two before the camera that I need some help with. My camera is the Nikon D300.

TIA

*Either the Astro Tech AT-80ED or Sky-Watcher Black Diamond 80ED

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back