• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best super zoom camera for bird shots? (1 Viewer)

I don't know about that but I can confirm that you can use the Oly TCON17 on the FZ28 using the panasonic DMW LA3 adapter. I have also used the TCON on my FZ18 regularly, I usually set it to TCON mode in the menu but when I forget I have not actually noticed any difference in quality of the images. However, what it does do is zoom in part way automatically to eliminate vignetting. This can be a hassle though if you are swapping from using the TCON to wide angle as it wont then allow you to zoom all the way out until you resent the menu setting. The FZ28 image quality is IMHO a definite improvement over the 18.

Hope that helps.

Jo

To get back on track I bought the Panasonic because of the speed - lack of lag.

I have taken some great pictures with it and use it quite a lot in the digital zoom 'zone' - even up to 72 times.

I would recommend on price and as a 'record' shot camera. These are not in the same league as a DSLR.....

I decided to go with the Panasonic FZ28. By and large I'm pleased with my choice. I needed more magnification so I bought an Olympus TCON-17 teleconversion lens for it. This combination allows me to get a lot of the long distance shots that I've been wanting to take. You can see some sample photographs in my gallery on here at http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/member.php?uid=75634&protype=1. I'm still learning how to use this camera so hopefully the quality will improve in the future. What I've been having trouble with is focusing mainly, I think. I believe that after more experience and adjusting the camera settings some this issue should go away. I don't believe the camera itself is the culprit because I know this camera is capable of taking great pictures. --Scott

Custom Web Promotions
http://custweb.com/

I have just found this thread and haven't had time to look back over the posts. Anyway I have decided to go for a superzoom to take with me when my SLR setup is to much. I have been looking at... Canon SX1 is, Canon SX10 is or Pentax X70.
Which one of these is best?
Is the SX1 really worth the extra £100 than the SX10?
Thanks
Ash

If you value the SX1 HD video capabilities, RAW shooting format, much faster continuous shooting mode, and IR remote control then YES it is.

The Pentax X70 is not a very good camera.

cheers,
Rick

This post is not in response to any previous post, just my thoughts on the SX1 which might hopefully help some people with their thought processes on superzooms, and the SX1.

I have owned an SX1 for a few months now and am pleased with it for what it is.

Previously I used to attempt to digiscope the odd record shot, but being a non-photographer I only ever did that handheld, i.e. with no bracket paraphernalia, and I did this with varying success.

I think the SX1 is far more capable than me at the moment, although I am starting to get better at using it, and for my purposes, I am happy to stick my SX1 in my bag on the offchance I need it for a record shot. I haven't achieved any brilliant results yet, but I never expected to the way I use it (sporadically). My better results are in my gallery.

I considered going the full DSLR route, but I thought if I did that I would never want to take my scope and full camera kit out together. The digiscoping option worked well to carry (although always needed to take my scope and tripod!), but was awkward and a bit hit and miss to use, and I think a superzoom suits my outlook on birding, i.e. birder first, but likes to dabble in photography, and would like the odd record shot.

I think the 80x digital zoom of the SX1 has it's definite uses - I am not sure if I am correct, but if I am trying to take a distant shot, it somehow seems easier to use full digital zoom, rather than just full optical and then to crop in on the computer, as I believe at full digital zoom the camera knows "which bit" to focus on more exactly and so the results seem better to me than cropping in later. Might just be my imagination though, but it works for me. I tend to use the camera on 2.3x digital teleconverter most of the time as I think this works really well.

In summary, for me, the reach of the SX1 (optical and digital), together with the speed it can rattle off shots (JPEGs not RAW), image stabilisation, and it's portability have made this camera an important part of my birding kit.

If you are serious about getting the perfect bird pictures in extreme feather detail, then DSLR is really the only option though - there is no substitute for good big expensive glass attached to good big expensive cameras from what I have read and seen.

Malvin.

Thanks Malvin
Im going to order the SX1 later today. I think the RAW capabilities, 4fps (is it?) and the amazing optical and digital zoom combination has made me choose it over its rivals. Although I didn't consider the Panasonic and wanted to stick with Canon because I am pleased with my Canon SLR setup.

Ash

It is 4fps for JPEGs at full resolution, but the RAW update was a bit of a disappointment as it is a lot slower, probably only 1fps or so.

I tend to stick to JPEGs for speed of shooting, after briefly trying out the RAW mode when the firmware was released - for my uses fps is more important than RAW, which is the main reason I chose the SX1 in the first place - when I got mine there wasn't even talk of the RAW update, although it is probably a handy feature to have if fps aren't important when shooting in it.

Malvin.

If you value the SX1 HD video capabilities, RAW shooting format, much faster continuous shooting mode, and IR remote control then YES it is.

I was looking at these a while back and read loads of reviews and looked at a lot of sample images and was disapointed to see that the SX10 appeared to give better IQ especially as the ISO went up. I think that unless HD and RAW are essential then the SX10 is well worth a look, with current cashback it comes in at ~£250.

I'll point out that all reviews comparing IQ of the SX10 with the SX1 do so at the default JPEG output only and the supposed differences are only apparent onscreen at 100%, ie. pixel peeping. Tweak the JPEG settings and the SX1 IQ is quite nice onscreen. If the pics are only to be displayed full screen or printed as large as A3, there will no differences between these cameras.

For me, the dSLR-like 4fps shooting speed and IR remote was well worth the price difference. The excellent video was just icing on the cake. Unfortunately, RAW does NOT bring many benefits while extracting a high price in disabled features and slower performance.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
I have just ordered my Canon SX1 is and I hope it was the right decision. It will arrive tomorrow so I will post any good pics I get over the weekend. I thought the RAW and 1080p Video was well worth the extra.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back