• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA logo change (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
Not sure how many people are either members of the ABA, or even care, but the voting has begun for the new logo for the ABA. The choices are rather...err...underwhelming. I voted no change as I think a tropicbird is a pretty good mascot for the ABA; a beautiful bird which is rare but regular in North American waters, and everyone wants to see. All the other options were....errr...rather underwhelming. American Robin? Common Yellowthroat? etc.

Most of the chosen logos were either common worldwide or ridiculously common stateside...I like American Robins, but I am not sure common backyard birds really are representative for an organization focused on serious birding.

The choices are a little basic and do not appear obviously linked to the stated goal of increasing conservation awareness, which some obviously endangered species such as the Piping Plover might have provided. So my guess is that most members will vote to keep the Red Billed Tropicbird, if only as a symbol of something they hope to see someday.

The voting list includes Red Tailed Hawk, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat and Barn Swallow among those I remembered. I have not found a link to the list or to the associated images.

I was going to provide the complete list but it's only available in the voting window...after you vote you can't bring it up again...bad format

Black-crowned Night Heron was also a candidate

There was a whole huge "debate" on Birdchat about the conservation focus of the ABA. Quite a few people were worried that refocusing attention on conservation might shift focus from the actual sport of birding. Conservation is important but I agree with those complaints...we already have Audubon magazine here in the states. I can't help but think the ABA is trying to attract a larger consumer base outside of serious birders, and to do so they are very likely to alienate the current member base

I was going to provide the complete list but it's only available in the voting window...after you vote you can't bring it up again...bad format
Yes, I had the same problem. But I just sneaked a look on my wife's laptop. The complete list is:

• Black-crowned Night-Heron
  • Red-tailed Hawk
  • American Kestrel
  • Barn Swallow
  • American Robin
  • Yellow Warbler
  • Common Yellowthroat
  • Red-billed Tropicbird
Richard

I
There was a whole huge "debate" on Birdchat about the conservation focus of the ABA. Quite a few people were worried that refocusing attention on conservation might shift focus from the actual sport of birding. Conservation is important but I agree with those complaints...we already have Audubon magazine here in the states. I can't help but think the ABA is trying to attract a larger consumer base outside of serious birders, and to do so they are very likely to alienate the current member base

The Audubon Society took a similar path a couple of decades ago (can’t remember the exact dates), when it abandoned its former focus on birds in favor of general conservation. I objected to this at the time, as did many others, but don’t know what effect the switch had on membership size; I’m still a member but don’t find nearly as much of interest in the magazine as I used to.

For the logo, if write-ins were allowed I think I’d go for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Something there for everybody: extremely hard to see (since probably extinct) & in urgent need of conservation (ditto). As it is I went to the other extreme & voted for the robin (I know, I know, but I really like robins)

Last edited:
For the logo, if write-ins were allowed...
A truly up-to-date logo should feature a big, hairy birder wearing military camo gear, with top-of-the range bins, scope & tripod, DSLR & 500mm lens, digital recorder & parabolic mic, GPS/cellphone, high-power spotlight...

Richard ;)

I will say this...living in Laramie and enduring several months of below freezing weather, it sure is nice when the flocks of robins start migrating through...

From the site:
Though the logo will change, for those members who would like for us to continue using the Red-billed Tropicbird, we have included that as an option.
Does this mean that even if the Red-billed Tropicbird is the overwhelming winner they will not keep it?

From the site:

Does this mean that even if the Red-billed Tropicbird is the overwhelming winner they will not keep it?

Not sure, but I interpreted that to mean that they would keep the species, but change the logo in other respects.

Best,
Jim

I wonder who decided that they needed to change the logo? What a waste of time and energy- I mean the logo is fine, I never heard anyone complain about it and it uses a pretty cool bird. I think there are better ways to go about marketing or revitalizing the ABA.

It is difficult to revitalize an organization whose membership's median age is probably well into middle age. Too many strong opinions with people very set in their ways. So while it is correct that revising the logo is a somewhat peripheral priority. the ABA effort to rev up the organization and to bring in fresh blood deserves applause and support.

It is difficult to revitalize an organization whose membership's median age is probably well into middle age. Too many strong opinions with people very set in their ways. So while it is correct that revising the logo is a somewhat peripheral priority. the ABA effort to rev up the organization and to bring in fresh blood deserves applause and support.

By all means, I agree that efforts to rev up and bring in new people to the organization should be applauded and supported, I just think that better time and effort would be spent on something other than a new logo.
Like how about ABA members volunteering to organize and lead bird walks in their communities and then giving the ABA pitch at the end of the walk or whatever or handing out stickers or some other form of marketing?

I hear you on strong opinions being more associated with middle aged folks rather than younger people and it would be great to get more young people into the ABA- and the organization does a great job in that respect IMO. But, the fact is that a higher percentage of birders in North America fall into the middle age bracket- will a new logo help? It might if it is placed in paid advertisements but I think we would get a higher return (new members) by organizing bird walks and other activities.

I also think they might get more of the younger generation of birders if they increased the online efforts. Maybe by incorporating into the paid membership Surfbirds.com style list rankings, birdingpal type contact info, or daily updated North American Rarebird listings. Maybe downloadable birding site guides for popular specific destinations. Something to attract the internet generation who can already get identification tips from the web.

I nearly voted for the American Kestrel, since it symbolizes North America a bit better than a tropicbird and is also a little more "fierce".
Anyway, since the majority here have a favoratism of the current logo, I voted for the Tropicbird for you.

I also think they might get more of the younger generation of birders if they increased the online efforts. Maybe by incorporating into the paid membership Surfbirds.com style list rankings, birdingpal type contact info, or daily updated North American Rarebird listings. Maybe downloadable birding site guides for popular specific destinations. Something to attract the internet generation who can already get identification tips from the web.

Really good ideas!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back