• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to Astrophotography (1 Viewer)

Yesterday's pics. All of them not processed, just resized. Still the same old mis-focussing issues. Also pics of my setup.

By the way, today just ordered the 2" Antares 1.6X strongly praised and tested by Paul. Just wondering why the chrome barrel is 40mm long which will not fully sit into my existing extension tubes which has a depth of 35mm though it will not cause any problems I guess as long as the thumb screws are tight. Just didn't like the idea of shiny parts exposed.

tbc

Attachments

• Bee Eater.jpg
    Bee Eater.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Dove.jpg
    Dove.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Swift.jpg
    Swift.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 93
Pics of my setup couldn't attach.

Attachments

• Setup 1.JPG
    Setup 1.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Setup 2.JPG
    Setup 2.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 101
nice setup. First and last photo seems to be quite ok on the eye - at least at this resolution.
What are your shutterspeeds/iso settings? and have you tried not to use the remote? (and while shooting, burst of several shots)

off topic - what kind of gimbal is that, and how heavy, and how does it work for you?

Tried to find your reflection in the chrome ball, are you in the photo anywhere?

Is your Kenko teleconverter the 2X Pro 300 version or the 2X AF MC7 version? Will be interesting to see how the barlow compares.

Paul.

nice setup. First and last photo seems to be quite ok on the eye - at least at this resolution.
What are your shutterspeeds/iso settings? and have you tried not to use the remote? (and while shooting, burst of several shots)

off topic - what kind of gimbal is that, and how heavy, and how does it work for you?

Either way from single shots to burst mode, finger and remote triggered all produces similar results and extreme low keeper rates.

Heron - ISO400, 1/320s
Bee Eater - ISO200, 1/200s
Dove - ISO200, 1/40s
Swallow - ISO200, 1/160s

Here's the link to this gimbal. Once you have found the setting / adjustments, the whole setup will be in a balanced manner in which when all knobs are free, you can tilt the lens up or down to the max. allowable angle it will stay there. Except when you have to focus all the way in or out which affects the equilibrium again.

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

Tried to find your reflection in the chrome ball, are you in the photo anywhere?

Is your Kenko teleconverter the 2X Pro 300 version or the 2X AF MC7 version? Will be interesting to see how the barlow compares.

Paul.

Yeah, I am in the photo under the shade of the shed so it makes me kind of blend into the shadows. It is the Pro 300.

Hi all,

Just received the new Antares 1.6X barlow. Was disappointed to find quite a number of scratches on the lens upon close inspection . Tried it out today on the field and found CA to be prominent.

Have wrote to the store and they either provide another replacement with no guarantee or full refund. What do you guys reckon?

tbc

Hi all,

Just received the new Antares 1.6X barlow. Was disappointed to find quite a number of scratches on the lens upon close inspection . Tried it out today on the field and found CA to be prominent.

Have wrote to the store and they either provide another replacement with no guarantee or full refund. What do you guys reckon?

tbc

Where did you buy it from? The glass should be spotless so I'd definitely get a refund.

I'm not seeing any CA with mine. I made sure I got a genuine Antares item and that it was also guaranteed to be genuine A1 stock. Some companies sell barlows and other optical equipment that can be sub standard or cheap copies which is possibly what you got.

Paul.

Where did you buy it from? The glass should be spotless so I'd definitely get a refund.

I'm not seeing any CA with mine. I made sure I got a genuine Antares item and that it was also guaranteed to be genuine A1 stock. Some companies sell barlows and other optical equipment that can be sub standard or cheap copies which is possibly what you got.

Paul.

Hi Paul, here's the link and I bought from them. Yours from the same seller?

http://www.agenaastro.com/Antares-2-1-6x-Barlow-Lens-2UBS-p/obar-an-2ubs.htm

Furthermore, my Nikon T-adapter couldn't sit all the way into the barlow and the lens element was quite a distance away from the camera's sensor. From what I conclude, the magnification was more than 2X instead of 1.6X compared to mounting the Kenko 2X TC direct to the camera and followed by the T-mount.

tbc

Last edited:
In the review I wrote in another thread I calculated that the barlow gives around 2.3X magnification on my Canon 450D.

I got mine from Rother Valley Optics in the UK.

I notice the white writing on my barlow is different to the one in the link you posted. Is yours like the one in the photo on the agena astro website or is the writing in a different style?

Paul.

Last edited:
In the review I wrote in another thread I calculated that the barlow gives around 2.3X magnification on my Canon 450D.

I got mine from Rother Valley Optics in the UK.

I notice the white writing on my barlow is different to the one in the link you posted. Is yours like the one in the photo on the agena astro website or is the writing in a different style?

Paul.

See attached pic of the barlow. The lens element is from Japan and housing manufactured and assembled in Canada as mentioned by the seller.

tbc

Attachments

• Barlow front.jpg
    Barlow front.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 54
The writing on yours is the same as mine. As for the CA, I took a load of photos with mine on the 80ED and can't get any CA to show up. I photographed into the sun with high contrast subjects and there's none visible. I guess things are different as you have a different scope.

Seeing as yours is scratched then maybe best to send it back for a refund and look at other solutions. The magnification from this barlow is similar to your Kenko Pro 2X so what was it that you were hoping for from the barlow?

Paul.

tbc, Manish the fellow that runs Agena Astro from everything I have read is a decent person, the links of testimonials are archived and I don't know if you have to be logged on to see them. If not satisfied I would send it back.
Regards,Steve

The writing on yours is the same as mine. As for the CA, I took a load of photos with mine on the 80ED and can't get any CA to show up. I photographed into the sun with high contrast subjects and there's none visible. I guess things are different as you have a different scope.

Seeing as yours is scratched then maybe best to send it back for a refund and look at other solutions. The magnification from this barlow is similar to your Kenko Pro 2X so what was it that you were hoping for from the barlow?

Paul.

Paul, I took shots of birds up on the tree branch with back lighting, edges of the bird and branches showed fringing.

This barlow gave me the flexibility to position it directly infront of the camera or between extension tubes to vary the magnification whereas the TC can't.

Seems like my scope has very shallow depth of field. The head of the bird is in focus but the details on its body is out even though the difference in distance is not much. Anyway to counter this?

tbc

tbc, Manish the fellow that runs Agena Astro from everything I have read is a decent person, the links of testimonials are archived and I don't know if you have to be logged on to see them. If not satisfied I would send it back.
Regards,Steve

I think it's a case of oversight rather than the norm for Agena Astro. You really have to tilt the lens to a certain angle under the light in order to see the scratches. As it is bought brand new, it doesn't feel good to know it has flaws. I may take another gamble and have a replacement.

tbc

Paul, I took shots of birds up on the tree branch with back lighting, edges of the bird and branches showed fringing.

This barlow gave me the flexibility to position it directly infront of the camera or between extension tubes to vary the magnification whereas the TC can't.

Seems like my scope has very shallow depth of field. The head of the bird is in focus but the details on its body is out even though the difference in distance is not much. Anyway to counter this?

tbc

How far away was the bird? A 2X converter results in half the depth of field and depth of field gets less the closer something is. I suppose the rule of thumb would be if using 2X then don't photograph anything too close. As a guide, at about 20m I can get all of a Pigeon in focus with the barlow.

The 2X Kenko should be fairly versatile because you can put a cheap macro tube between the camera and teleconverter to alter its magnification. Something like a 35mm macro tube would take it to around 3X for example.

Paul.

Either way from single shots to burst mode, finger and remote triggered all produces similar results and extreme low keeper rates.

Heron - ISO400, 1/320s
Bee Eater - ISO200, 1/200s
Dove - ISO200, 1/40s
Swallow - ISO200, 1/160s

Here's the link to this gimbal. Once you have found the setting / adjustments, the whole setup will be in a balanced manner in which when all knobs are free, you can tilt the lens up or down to the max. allowable angle it will stay there. Except when you have to focus all the way in or out which affects the equilibrium again.

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

Hi TBC. Following this thread it seems you are getting much good advice, and the IQ in your shots is improving noticeably. That said, I wanted to add some words of wisdom if you are interested. I don't believe anyone responded to this quoted post, regarding your shutter speeds, but I thought I'd interject. I shoot with a pair of older Canon DSLRs and usually opt for my longest lens, a Sigma 150-500mm ƒ6.3 DG OS.

What immediately caught my attention was how slow your shutter speeds are for birds. Admittedly, the 1/320 isn't completely unreasonable for a heron, but the other timings are quite slow, in my opinion. Small birds usually require a minimum of 1/500 just to keep up with their rapid movements, and often 1/1000 is a preferred starting point. A slight jitter from a bird can translate to a blur that almost appears like an out of focus shot. There are always exceptions, of course. But I would far prefer to push my ISO setting, than shoot too slow of a shutter speed. It is true that 100% crops of high ISO images will show more noise and reduce the effective "per pixel" resolution. But I've honestly almost never found it to be a problem in real world use. I've printed numerous images at 16"x20" at ISO settings of 1600 on my old Canon 350D with no visual degradation. Of course, noise reduction software is helpful, but not always necessary. I'm often baffled why there is such a negative opinion among photographers with ISO settings above 400. 15 years ago it was an issue. Today it isn't. I digress, though. Almost as important is the fact that you have a long heavy scope, and no matter how sturdy it is, it will transfer vibrations to the image...especially with a barlow or TC attached. That's a another reason to consider faster shutter speeds.

Another thing I notice in your images is how underexposed many of them are. It personally took me a while, myself, to learn how to expose properly with my own equipment. Honestly, exposing of the image is part of the art form, to a degree, and different people will have different philosophies. However, I have found through practice that slightly over exposing is generally needed on digital sensors to properly capture the mid-tones. If you shoot in raw, you can usually recover what appear as slightly overexposed highlights. As a rule, I typically shoot in aperture priority mode, set my exposure compensation to +2/3, and push my ISO as high as I need to get at least 1/500 sec. If I'm shooting black birds I'll compensate +1 or more. By the way, as a bonus, a slight overexposure actually does a good job of hiding some of the noise that comes from higher ISO.

Sorry for the long post. I'll post a couple images that I took at higher ISO settings so you can see what I mean.

Last edited:
I think it's a case of oversight rather than the norm for Agena Astro. You really have to tilt the lens to a certain angle under the light in order to see the scratches. As it is bought brand new, it doesn't feel good to know it has flaws. I may take another gamble and have a replacement.

tbc

Manish is a good guy, and I bet you could work out a reasonable solution where he may eat some or all of the shipping cost to replace the piece.

Al shots were taken with my Sigma 150-500mm, while mounted on a tripod/gimbal head.

The first shot of the male Northern Cardinal was taken in early morning with heavy backlighting from the sun, typically a very difficult situation. ISO only pushed to 800 because the sun was reflecting off of my beige colored house:

Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 20D
Shooting Date/Time
2/11/2010 09:20:57
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/500Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F8.0
Metering Modes
Split metering
Exposure Compensation
+2/3
ISO Speed
Lens
-
Focal Length
439.0 mm

The second shot of the Red-Winged Blackbird was taken on a cloudy day when the sun was overhead and bright, but obviously diffused. ISO at 1600 to adjust for the higher exposure compensation (+1) and to reveal detail in the black feathers:

Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 20D
Shooting Date/Time
5/3/2010 12:55:01
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/500Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F8.0
Metering Modes
Partial metering
Exposure Compensation
+1
ISO Speed
Lens
-
Focal Length
370.0 mm

The third shot of the male Baltimore Oriole was taken in mid afternoon with medium backlighting from the sun. The sun light on the lining of the orange feathers was the biggest problem for overexposure, but it was the price I payed to properly expose the shaded Oriole's front details (especially the black areas). ISO 1600 was needed, as was a compromise of 1/400 sec, thanks to being in a heavily foliage covered apple tree:

Camera Model Name
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Shooting Date/Time
5/16/2010 15:06:04
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/400Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F8.0
Metering Modes
Split metering
Exposure Compensation
+1
ISO Speed
Lens
-
Focal Length
500.0 mm

You can always do level adjustments in post processing software if you need to...or noise reduction, sharpening, color balancing, etc... You will often find your images to be better in the end, though, if you can expose properly at the camera when you take the shot. I'll add that I'm no expert, and simply an amateur who loves both birds and optical gear. I hope some of this helps, since I received most of this helpful info from others on this very site over the past few years.

Attachments

• IMG_9928.jpg
    IMG_9928.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4140.jpg
    IMG_4140.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 100
  • _MG_3680.jpg
    _MG_3680.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back