• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low Sun & Tide (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
The sun slides a pale bony hand into the wood,
Reaching through the leafless remains .
A foraging tit flock picks at dwindling stocks
Whispering amongst the old birches.

Overhead a Raven c'rronks
A black scrap heading home westward
Over a Buzzard's nest marooned -
High on the rocks of the winter's larch.
Exposed by the year's ebbing tide.

Funny that just after I commented on this, I went to baste turkey thighs, and Gene asked about you. I read this post to him and he says he is in awe! (Before you get a swollen head, you must know and understand, that this is a guy who grunts half his responses to me.;)) I used to read him Dr. Manjeet's stories too--we got such a kick out of those!

Last edited:
Thanks Sue. There wasn't much about on the day - I was trying to clear my head - so inspiration was hard won.

Thanks Sue. There wasn't much about on the day - I was trying to clear my head - so inspiration was hard won.
This is what I mean when I say I don't know how you do it. You can put words together that so vividly (and beautifully) describe your surroundings. You are able to transport a person. Even when the scene is the bare trees of winter; a scene that most people would walk past with heads down, hurrying to get in and have a cup, you find the, "foraging tit flock picks at dwindling stocks
Whispering....". And you do it repeatedly! (I know, I should never start a sentence with And. LOL)
A few times after reading one of your posts, I thought of the old cartoon show, Rocky and Bullwinkle. You may be too young to know what it is, or, maybe it wasn't shown in Britain (it was in Canada). There was a little blip they played where Bullwinkle the Moose would say, "Hey, Rocky. Watch me pull a rabbit from my hat." Rocky would say, "Again?" Bullwinkle would then pull anything but a rabbit out.
No matter how stark or mundane the circumstances, you are always able to pull a rabbit out. You are really very talented. I hope you cleared your head.

Can't say I've heard of Rocky & Bullwinkle, Sue! And I don't think it's my age!
And thanks again; it's always a punt to put this stuff out for me - it's sort of like wondering if your baby's ugly & then getting compliments!!
I know it's not for everyone - a bit niche-y.

I have to admit, I'm deffinitely no fan of poems. But yours are intriguing and brilliantly written. I think that should be said as well! Keep up the good work!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back