• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE (1 Viewer)

dries1

How many here own the SE 10X42 SE and had/have both earlier and later (higher) series of serial #s. For those who have viewed both, are there any differences between earlier and later SR#s in the view. I have a newly acquired 10X42 serial 005XXX, I assume it is a earlier serial #? It was purchased from Eagle optics in 2001. I have a late serial #SE 8X32 550XXX, but never viewed an earlier model, i.e. lower serial #.

Regards,

A.W.

I'm curious too, but don't have a late model 10x42 SE at hand. Do you see any difference in colour representation or brightness between your 8x32 SE and 10x42 SE?

My early 10x42 SE (000891) does seem to have the same colour balance as my black bodied 8x30 E2 and the same coating colours. They appear slightly brighter, but this could be 42mm vs. 30 mm or 10x vs. 8x or better stray light protection. If I remember correctly early 10x42 SEs still had lead glass and later specimens don't?

George

Se

I do not notice anything obvious under the first light, but the depth of field (FOV) in the 8X32 is larger as well as the increased field of view (FOV) 6 vs 7.5 in the 8X32. Viewing the lens both ocular and objective, I see no color difference with reflection, both have green mixed with a magenta color.
Regarding the 10X42, it is very light and I am able to hold it quite steady compared to other 10X42s (porros and roofs). I think this will be quite a good glass for astro viewing, not as good as the SE12X50 but close enough for me, I could not hold the 12X50 for long, weight was not the problem, balance was.

I am getting used to the 10X format, I have three glass in this format and the two roofs provide a flat view, I am looking forward to viewing terrestrial with these 10s with the classic 3D view.

A.W.

Last edited:
I do not own an SE 10X42 and have never compared any of the generations but here is what found when I was taking SE serial numbers.

000xxx - Per Brock, introduced in 1995 as first of the SE series.
001xxx -
002xxx -
003xxx - Have not seen any in this series but it that does not mean it was not used.
004xxx - Found one where the owner said it was purchased new in 1999.
005xxx -
006xxx - A note implied it was purchased new in 2000
007xxx- Have not seen any in this series but it that does not mean it was not used.
008xxx -
050xxx - Part 7311 Also eco glass, may have started in 2006-7?

Rolling to the next serial number sequence ( 001xxx to 002xxx) may mean Nikon used up all the serial numbers in the first sequence rather than indicate there were product changes. Going to 050xxx may indicate a product change.

That's all I have!

Wow Bruce, That was a lot of work, thank you. I remember reading some posts from Brock when he was trying with other members trying to pin down the serial No rational from Nikon for the SE 8X32, it left me with more questions.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

A.W.

Wow Bruce, That was a lot of work, thank you. I remember reading some posts from Brock when he was trying with other members trying to pin down the serial No rational from Nikon for the SE 8X32, it left me with more questions.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

A.W.

AW and Bruce,

I have a 10x42 SE. It's SN is 005xxx. I purchased it from on-line information from KEH-Camera in Atlanta, GA in May 2006. It had all the original papers and it was in Pristine Condition. I paid $599.00 for it which was a very good price at that time. They were selling for about $800.00 then.

KEH-Camera only occasionally had binoculars for sale so I assumed they got this one when they bought out a Camera store's inventory.

It has magenta coloring on its objectives and green on its oculars.

The Instruction Manual says "Printed in Japan (101K)88-7Z/3DE" If that means something to anyone who understands Japanese.

The Product Guide (specification sheet) also says "Printed in Japan (114k)84-2Y/3DE)"

The Product Guide shows an SE binocular identifying by numbers its pertinent parts.

If anybody can figure out the years they were printed in we can assume that my binocular (SN 005xxx) was made around that time or after it.

By the way, the binocular registration card had a Denver, Colorado Post Office Box to mail it to; but products and other correspondence were to be sent to a Torrance, CA address; so the binocular probably was being sold from a time when Nikon had a presence in Denver.

Bob.

Last edited:
Regarding the 10X42, it is very light and I am able to hold it quite steady compared to other 10X42s (porros and roofs)..... I could not hold the 12X50 for long, weight was not the problem, balance was.

My experience mirrors yours.

Besides the ability to hold the 10x42 SE steady I really like the view. The combination of flat field and stereopsis is very attractive. Stray light/flare seems to be *very* well controlled. I haven't been able to induce any yet.

George

Bob,

My serial No is 0054XX, the Product Guide has the Printed in japan (114K)84-2Y/3DE. The Instruction Manual with mine has the same script as yours.

A.W.

Bob,

My serial No is 0054XX, the Product Guide has the Printed in japan (114K)84-2Y/3DE. The Instruction Manual with mine has the same script as yours.

A.W.

My Serial # is 0053XX, the product guide number is the same as yours, I forgot to put the "3" before the DE in my original post. I will correct that.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back