• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP!! What happened?!! (1 Viewer)

Wildwaters

I've had House Wrens nesting in a nestbox right by the picture window in front of my house for quite a while now. The chicks have been hatched for some time, and the parents were very busy flying to and fro feeding the babies. Today, however, there has been no action near the nestbox whatsoever. I saw papa wren singing in the backyard, but that's about it. Generally, I would assume that the chicks must have fledged and all is well and good, but I've been hearing constant chirping from what sounds like 2 or 3 chicks still inside the nestbox, and no parents in sight. Could some of the chicks have fledged and the parents are with them, leaving these few chicks behind? Could something have happened to the mother so papa wren abandoned the nest?

Any idea what might have happened? Should I interfere, or will they be fine on their own?

Please help!!!

Hello Wildwaters,
House Wrens are noisy fellows, and they are quick when it comes to fledging. Please leave the nest box alone, that is first. How old would you say the chicks are? They usually fedge about 12-15 days. The parents do not go to the nest as often, to entice the little guys out. I've yet to catch any of my wrens fledging, but they have not been as close proximety as what you have. What you see and hear happening so far, I believe is normal. Again, I think it prudent to leave the nest alone and let nature take care of it's own, which will most likely be a fledging and when you hear nothing....there will probably be nothing there.
shelley

One more added note, alot of times the wrens leave the first nest to start a second one right before fledging time....it's not abandoned, but it does speed up the process and they get down to a second nest elsewhere. They are one of the first migrating birds to leave for the winter grounds.
I think you'll be fine. Keep watching and keep us informed how it is going...if there is no change, perhaps we'll be able to get a jump on a solution for you.
shelley

They look just too darn comfy to want to leave!

One year I had a pair of wrens who had three broods. Each one fledge right after dusk in the rain and one would invariably freak out and peep for its parents all night in the rose bush outside my living room window. They always made it though.
Cool that you have gotten to experience their first few weeks of life!

Best
Elizabeth

I envy your position Wildwaters! Like I mentioned, I never got to see any of my wrens fledge....too far back in the yard, but a sure recognize the signs, I may get a better shot this year, as they decided to move up in the yard a bit to nest...one in my dummy box (singing his little heart out, calling for a date.....so far no takers!)....and I agree with Elizabeth, they pick the oddest times to fledge.
shelley

LOL!!! That picture is totally priceless!!! You've got a winner and they look like they won't be around in the morning. Good luck to them!

Last edited:
We had wrens nesting in a little wicker pouch. They were there a couple of days ago but now the wrens and pouch have gone, with no trace of the latter. We live on an estate with cats but none dare venture into our garden because we have a herring gull family on the roof who are mega-protective of their offspring. I'm wondering what happened to the wrens and why there's no trace of the nest.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back