• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Bird Breeding season so far...... (1 Viewer)

The Merlin

Seems to have been rather slow. Just today I heard the first Great-crested Flycatcher of the season and the Eastern Bluebirds have finally returned about two weeks ago.

Eastern Bluebirds: After the Chickadees took control of Bluebox 1 I had to quickly take down Woodpeckerbox 4 and post it in a field next to my house. This so far appears to have worked as I checked it today and found 3'' of dry grass with an undeveloped cup in Blubox 4(previously Woodpeckerbox 4). I shouldn't immediatly label this as a Bluebird nest because it could be Flycathers nest, but the nest constuction doesn't appear to be that of Flycatcher.

Carolina Chickadees: This year is the first that Chickadees have nested in my boxes and they have taken up residence in Bluebox 1. Nest construction seemed to be rather quick, I believe only about a 10 days, and the nest consisted of small green vegagtion, cotton, some orange fabric, feathers and other various items. The oddity was that the nest had two cups??? Never have I seen this?? It now seems though that this may be a false nest, as I've seen with Tufted Titmice, cause no eggs have been laid in a week and I rarely see the birds at the box. Only once have they been in the box upon inspection. The condition of the nest changes with material being moved around constantly, but wether this is from the Chickadees or from other birds I have yet find to out.

Eastern Screech Owls: I'll start off with the Gray owls of Boo and Hoo. Boo after not being in my Owlboxs for most of the winter, finally returned about two weeks ago, but has since gone missing again?? She was staying in Owlbox 9 and was very scared of me, hopping back in the box when ever she saw me?? Ever since here disappearance Hoo has been in Owlbox 9 and I've wondered if perhaps they were in the box at the same time, but Hoo has constantly been at the hole of Owlbox 9, preventing me from inspecting the box. That was until today how ever as she wasn't at the hole so I decided to inspect the box. Upon inspection however the window jammed half open so I wasn't able to see inside the entire box, but what I did see was what appeared to be a very angry Hoo!! I sounded as if she was "beak-snapping" at me was making other defensive posturing like raising her wings at me, as well as looking straight at me thru the window!!! Hoo is one very brave, but friendly owl and it will be interesting to see how she acts around me now after this encounter?? Also her behavior leads me to suspect that she maybe getting ready to lay eggs, so I must keep a watchful eye on her to see if she comes to the hole at all during the day.

Now to the Reds, Red the male has been consistently staying in Owlbox 9 for about a month while his mate Screech appears to be searching for a nesting Box. Last week I found her in Owlbox 1 and today I found her in Owlbox 4, it appears as if she is no longer coming to the hole of the boxes during the day, a sure sign of nesting behavior. In niether of the inspections of the boxes she was in, did she see me looking at her thru the window so, the windows are proving affective!! I will continue watching her closely for when she does find a nesting box, as with the new windows I hope to be able to check the progression of the chicks more often and with less incident, a major sore spot last year.

:bounce: ;) :t: :king:

Thanks for an interesting post, I enjoyed reading your observations and hope you will post an update every now and then. I know virtually nothing about your birds so I have gained interesting insights into their behaviour. Are chicadees monogamous? The reason I ask is that here we have several birds that are polygamous, and the males will build several nests in the breeding season, enticing the females to come and inspect them during the later stages of construction. If a female rejects a nest it will be abandoned and another one started. Amongst those that function in this way are many of the weavers and the bishop birds.

I don't recall reading anything of Chickadees being monogamous??

Well Hoo, didn't show any signs of being scared of me when she was at the hole her box!!! Though last year she didn't hold a grudge against me when she caught me looking at her eggs one night?? I don't suppose she believed me when I told her that I didn't mean her any harm???3:)

No eggs or any further progress on the presumed Bluebird nest and the Chickadee nest is still in shambles

Ohh and todau I saw 2 Sandhill Cranes and their 2 cute little tiny babys!!! It was adorable!!!:bounce:

I think we might be at cross-purposes here! You said that the chickadee nest had two cups and you wondered why. I thought maybe, like our bishops and weavers, they might build more than one nest because they had more than one mate? Sorry if I misled you.
I envy you the sighting of the sandhill cranes plus babies, must have been wonderful.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back