• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon350D, Black or Silver (1 Viewer)

devon.birder

I have decided to buy a Canon 350D for general photography but am undecided whether to to buy the silver 350D from Jessops which comes with an 18-55 USM lense or to buy a 350D in black with the standard 18-55 lense.
Is it worth the extra £40 or so to get a USM lense but a silver camera rather than black.
Jessops do not sell a 350D in black with the USM lense.
The prices on the internet for the 350D in black are much the same but they all have the non-USM lense. Is a USM lense worth having just for taking views and shots of my young grand daughter?.
I am not bothered about saving £40 so any advice would be appreciated. Roger

devon.birder said:
I have decided to buy a Canon 350D for general photography but am undecided whether to to buy the silver 350D from Jessops which comes with an 18-55 USM lense or to buy a 350D in black with the standard 18-55 lense.
Is it worth the extra £40 or so to get a USM lense but a silver camera rather than black.
The prices on the internet for the 350D in black are much the same but they all have the non-USM lense. Is a USM lense worth having just for taking views and shots of my young grand daughter?.

The cameras are identical. The 18-55mm lens is a 'cheapy', and even with USM is still a 'cheapy', and not in my opinon worth £40 extra. I wouldn't have thought Jessops was your best buy anyway. Have you looked at such shops as Bristol Cameras?

devon.birder said:

Try Cameras 2U for a 350D body only and look at Cameraking for a wide selection of lenses. I have dealt with both these suppliers and both seem OK.
Tom

Really it's a matter of which you prefer the look of - I've got mine in black and like it much more than the silver version. While it's true that the 18-55 kit lens isn't the best for the extra £40 it's well worth it. It's a cheap reasonably wide angle lens that performs quite well if you stop it down a bit.

Thanks for all your replies. I have had a look at all the sites you mention and feel that I will opt for a black 350D rather than silver but also get one that comes with the 18-55 non USM lense. I have owned a Canon EOS 600 for many years and so my two existing Canon lenses 28-70 and 100-300 can also be used with the new camera.
I have done a lot of research on prices and Jessops are very competitive due to their latest price reduction on this camera. I have two branches of Jessops quite close so this is an added incentive to buy from them. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back