Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 4th February 2015, 20:26   #701
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
 
Phil Andrews's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Royal Sutton Coldfield
Posts: 14,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Griffiths View Post
Caspian Gull (2w) with green darvic ring on ice at Engine Pool, Earlswood Lakes this morning, last seen at 10:00am. Was also seen yesterday morning and on January 30th. Photos on my Twitter.
Were you able to read the code Matt?
__________________
Upton Warren Life List: 195 (latest: Baird's Sandpiper)
British Life List: 485 (latest: Elegant Tern)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Phil Andrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th February 2015, 22:08   #702
Matt Griffiths
ad. ♂ Blackcap
 
Matt Griffiths's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Solihull, West Midlands
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Were you able to read the code Matt?
Yes Phil, "XNDJ". Seen last year at Shawell in Leics - http://bagawildone.blogspot.co.uk/20...n-gull-at.html It looks more like a Caspian in those photos than mine, but definitely the same bird! Still has a limp.
Matt Griffiths is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st February 2015, 18:47   #703
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
 
Phil Andrews's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Royal Sutton Coldfield
Posts: 14,000
Dare I even ask about the following entry in the BBRC's Work In Progress file?

IC 09-Nov-14 20-Sep-14 1 Short-toed Eagle Circaetus gallicus Warwickshire Alvecote Pools
__________________
Upton Warren Life List: 195 (latest: Baird's Sandpiper)
British Life List: 485 (latest: Elegant Tern)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Phil Andrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd February 2015, 21:14   #704
djludlow
David J Ludlow

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: warwickshire
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Dare I even ask about the following entry in the BBRC's Work In Progress file?

IC 09-Nov-14 20-Sep-14 1 Short-toed Eagle Circaetus gallicus Warwickshire Alvecote Pools
Circaetus buteo
djludlow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd February 2015, 21:18   #705
draycotebirding
Draycote recorder
 
draycotebirding's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Warwickshire VC38
Posts: 1,841
Siberian Gull there too
Nothing surprises me from that place, shame some records were accepted in the past from presumably the same observer
__________________
Draycotebirding Website
draycotebirding is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd February 2015, 05:03   #706
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
 
Phil Andrews's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Royal Sutton Coldfield
Posts: 14,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by draycotebirding View Post
Siberian Gull there too
Nothing surprises me from that place, shame some records were accepted in the past from presumably the same observer
I overlooked the Lesser Scaup from Alvecote in December 2013 on the same WIP file - this place is jumpin'

I see the list also includes a Lesser Grey Shrike from Birchmoor in Sept 2013
__________________
Upton Warren Life List: 195 (latest: Baird's Sandpiper)
British Life List: 485 (latest: Elegant Tern)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Phil Andrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 10th April 2015, 18:50   #707
Martin Smyth
For a minute there I lost myself
 
Martin Smyth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ancient county of Coventry
Posts: 1,255
Male Ring ouzel this AM, Napton reservoir, showing well
__________________
"Sitting in an English garden
Waiting for the sun
If the sun don't come you get a tan
From standing in the English rain"
Martin Smyth is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 10th April 2015, 20:25   #708
djludlow
David J Ludlow

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: warwickshire
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smyth View Post
Male Ring ouzel this AM, Napton reservoir, showing well
Still present 16:30 ,also 3 Yellow wagtails.
djludlow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 10th April 2015, 21:46   #709
Reader
 
Reader's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Coventry
Posts: 6,261
Hopefully they will still be there tomorrow morning.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by djludlow View Post
Still present 16:30 ,also 3 Yellow wagtails.
__________________
Latest British 1st: Hudsonian Whimbrel: British List: 436. Latest World Lifer Hudsonian Whimbrel World List: 1087
Reader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 7th May 2015, 22:22   #710
Phil Owen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 324
Hoopoe showing well at Stratford upon Avon FC this afternoon. Was the bird still around this evening? Any further info and an early heads up would be appreciated in the morning to get a nice pre work sighting.
Phil Owen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 8th May 2015, 05:06   #711
djludlow
David J Ludlow

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: warwickshire
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Owen View Post
Hoopoe showing well at Stratford upon Avon FC this afternoon. Was the bird still around this evening? Any further info and an early heads up would be appreciated in the morning to get a nice pre work sighting.
I will be onsite by 05.45am. There is a Golf course backing on to the FC onto which the bird could disappear but hoping for a Warwickshire tick today ! If anyone does not know the FC is off Knights lane , Tiddington. Edit. No sign in a 2 hour early morning search - no other birders looking.

Last edited by djludlow : Friday 8th May 2015 at 10:10.
djludlow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 9th May 2015, 11:28   #712
Phil Owen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 324
Could be worth a double check this weekend particularly with the Golf course being close by. Might take a trip down but any news in the meantime would be appreciated.
Phil Owen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd June 2016, 06:41   #713
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
 
Phil Andrews's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Royal Sutton Coldfield
Posts: 14,000
Nothing on this thread for over a year!

Broad-billed Sandpiper yesterday morning at Brandon Marsh
__________________
Upton Warren Life List: 195 (latest: Baird's Sandpiper)
British Life List: 485 (latest: Elegant Tern)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Phil Andrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 27th November 2016, 16:18   #714
Neil Duggan
Registered User
 
Neil Duggan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walkwood
Posts: 268
Thought I'd post a couple of record shots of the Bewick's Swans from Salford Priors on Thursday. Apparently they were not Slimbridge birds which makes the recording more interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180293.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	606748  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180304.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	606749  
__________________
Twitter - NeilDuggan80
http://out4aduck.blogspot.co.uk

Latest UK lifer: Rock Thrush (Pwll-du, October 2017)
Neil Duggan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 15th April 2017, 21:50   #715
Neil Duggan
Registered User
 
Neil Duggan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walkwood
Posts: 268
Record shot of Red-necked Grebe from Salford Priors last month. (thought I'd posted already).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220662.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	622677  
__________________
Twitter - NeilDuggan80
http://out4aduck.blogspot.co.uk

Latest UK lifer: Rock Thrush (Pwll-du, October 2017)
Neil Duggan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 15:08   #716
Neil Duggan
Registered User
 
Neil Duggan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walkwood
Posts: 268
This mornings Grey Plover, highlight of a great morning of movement. Will update blog in due course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240816.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	624901  
__________________
Twitter - NeilDuggan80
http://out4aduck.blogspot.co.uk

Latest UK lifer: Rock Thrush (Pwll-du, October 2017)
Neil Duggan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 24th June 2017, 11:19   #717
d.steeley
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: coventry
Posts: 843
Hi all, out for a drive yesterday (Thursday) my wife shouted "Look at all those buzzards and there could be a Red Kite among them" I stopped the car and walked back a few yards to look out over a field and woodland and counted at least 13 birds, plenty of Buzzards but at least 4 Red Kites. The Buzzards were generally moving away but the R Kites were circling over the tree tops and the nearest part of the field. They gave me the impression that it could have been their territory although I did not see any that I could say were youngsters as I did not have my bins with me. I hesitate to give the location on here but let me say it was somewhere between Coventry and Rugby. I was just wondering if this is a new (only) R Kite colony in Warwickshire. I will be going back with bins in the next few days to see if they are still there and see if there is any evidence of breeding.

Dave

Edit: I've already posted this in the "Birds of Warwickshire" thread, but now think this thread is a more suitable place for it.
d.steeley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th June 2017, 23:41   #718
wmtlynx
Steven Peters

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.steeley View Post
Hi all, out for a drive yesterday (Thursday) my wife shouted "Look at all those buzzards and there could be a Red Kite among them" I stopped the car and walked back a few yards to look out over a field and woodland and counted at least 13 birds, plenty of Buzzards but at least 4 Red Kites. The Buzzards were generally moving away but the R Kites were circling over the tree tops and the nearest part of the field. They gave me the impression that it could have been their territory although I did not see any that I could say were youngsters as I did not have my bins with me. I hesitate to give the location on here but let me say it was somewhere between Coventry and Rugby. I was just wondering if this is a new (only) R Kite colony in Warwickshire. I will be going back with bins in the next few days to see if they are still there and see if there is any evidence of breeding.

Dave

Edit: I've already posted this in the "Birds of Warwickshire" thread, but now think this thread is a more suitable place for it.
Seen Red Kites around Shipston, Brailes, Lower Quinton, Tanworth-in-Arden, Henley and Bishopton in the past few weeks. Buzzards I see in regular locations but kites tend to pop up randomly all over the place!
wmtlynx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 28th June 2017, 10:55   #719
d.steeley
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: coventry
Posts: 843
Hi, yes I've seen the odd individual but this looked like it could be a possible new colony of them in an area I'd not seen them before. As it doesn't appear to be a problem identifying the location it was in Brinklow near to the junction of B4027 Coventry Road and B4029.

Cheers

Dave
d.steeley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 15:00   #720
nigeldphoto
Registered User
 
nigeldphoto's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: coventry
Posts: 2,064
Blog Entries: 1
Hi All,
Just had to tell someone i have noticed a Little Egret on my patch which is only a five minute walk from the center of Coventry it has been there for over a week and seems to be OK if it notices you it takes off and flies a little further up the river.
__________________
Nigel
nigeldphoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 17:04   #721
Reader
 
Reader's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Coventry
Posts: 6,261
I don't know whereabouts you live in Coventry but there have been two Little Egrets between Stoke Floods and Tesco's on the Clifford Bridge Road along the River Sowe. They have been there since before June 2015 when I started walking my dog on that walk.

I suspect they possibly roost up in Coombe Abbey as I have had them over my garden a few times and I live near the Clifford Bridge Road / Brinklow Road junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldphoto View Post
Hi All,
Just had to tell someone i have noticed a Little Egret on my patch which is only a five minute walk from the center of Coventry it has been there for over a week and seems to be OK if it notices you it takes off and flies a little further up the river.
__________________
Latest British 1st: Hudsonian Whimbrel: British List: 436. Latest World Lifer Hudsonian Whimbrel World List: 1087
Reader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:58   #722
nigeldphoto
Registered User
 
nigeldphoto's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: coventry
Posts: 2,064
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
I don't know whereabouts you live in Coventry but there have been two Little Egrets between Stoke Floods and Tesco's on the Clifford Bridge Road along the River Sowe. They have been there since before June 2015 when I started walking my dog on that walk.

I suspect they possibly roost up in Coombe Abbey as I have had them over my garden a few times and I live near the Clifford Bridge Road / Brinklow Road junction.
I live just off Windsor Street (Spon End area) and the egret was in the River sherbourne just behind The BP garage on the Butts road. on the last time i saw it i was lucky enough to catch a Kingfisher perched up nearby .
__________________
Nigel
nigeldphoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire The Moore-hen Staffordshire 6156 Wednesday 22nd March 2017 16:04
RARE & SCARCE BIRDS in Lincolnshre, Yorkshire and East Midlands DVD andrew_chick Books, Magazines, Publications, Video & DVD 0 Tuesday 9th January 2007 20:23
Poor Year For Rare And Scarce Birds So Far rokermartin Birds & Birding 4 Thursday 20th July 2006 12:31



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.20125890 seconds with 34 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:12.