• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF 80 ED with Pentax Zoom? (1 Viewer)

2intheBush

Hi,

I am in the process of buying my first scope. I have definitely decided on the
Pentax pf 80 ED. My question is should I go with the zoom that they package with the scope or go for a different zoom. I have read in the forum that the Vixen LV 8-24 zoom is brighter.

The cost difference between the Pentax zoom and the Vixen is not much if I buy the zoom with the scope.

I do hope to digiscope at some point, so that is also a consideration.

I currently own a Radian 14mm eyepiece which I hope I will also be able to use effectively, and perhaps I should just use fixed eyepieces.

Any thoughts or help with this would be appreciated.

Just a note I will not be able to respond again till Monday because I am leaving town.

Thanks

2 in the Bush said:
Hi,

I am in the process of buying my first scope. I have definitely decided on the
Pentax pf 80 ED. My question is should I go with the zoom that they package with the scope or go for a different zoom. I have read in the forum that the Vixen LV 8-24 zoom is brighter.

Any thoughts or help with this would be appreciated.

I haven't used the zooms, but you should check out the other thread that's active right now, which has some good discussion on the Pentax zoom.

Many like the zoom, but it doesn't seem to be quite as nice as the other top-end zooms from Zeiss or Swarovski. That is NOT the case, however, with the fixed eyepieces -- the Pentax XW's are considered amongst the finest widefields around.

Your Radian 14mm will give you a pretty excellent 34x fixed view with the PF-80. That will probably serve you for almost any situation.

If you're thinking about digiscoping, many here have had great success with the Pentax XW 20mm eyepiece. See if you can get that bundled with the scope instead of the zoom. That will give you a beautiful, extremely wide view at 24x, and the rubber eyecup can be removed and a digital camera threaded directly onto the eyepiece (with an adapter ring).

I wish I knew more about the zooms, but the only one I've tried was a cheap Scopetronix 7-21mm zoom I bought off eBay. Compared to my fixed eyepieces, it was pretty much worthless, so I sold it. I just bought a Celestron Deluxe Zoom (a discontinued model, 6.5-18mm) for a pittance on eBay ($40 -- they were like $200 new back in 1998!) and I'll let you guys know what that one works out.

There are several options these days for good, medium-cost zooms. The Vixen/Televue/Meade 8-24mm is very popular, and I've heard that the William Optics (also sold as Promixa) 8-24mm zoom is even better, but haven't heard many reports on them.

I'm sure others here will chip in soon. Does anyone have direct comparitive experience with the Pentax 8-24mm and the Vixen? Anyone using the William Optics / Proxima zoom?

Good luck!

eitanaltman said:
If you're thinking about digiscoping, many here have had great success with the Pentax XW 20mm eyepiece. See if you can get that bundled with the scope instead of the zoom. That will give you a beautiful, extremely wide view at 24x, and the rubber eyecup can be removed and a digital camera threaded directly onto the eyepiece (with an adapter ring).

I would absolutely second this opinion. I started with the zoom and upgraded to the XW20 and don't regret it. All my gallery is digiscoped with these 2 eps with those before approx Jun 05 on the zoom and anythin more recent on the XW. If you can get it bundled instead of the zoom you should be looking at a similar total - good luck.

Nigel G said:
I would absolutely second this opinion. I started with the zoom and upgraded to the XW20 and don't regret it. All my gallery is digiscoped with these 2 eps with those before approx Jun 05 on the zoom and anythin more recent on the XW. If you can get it bundled instead of the zoom you should be looking at a similar total - good luck.

Thanks, I will absolutely go with the 20 XW. Is it worth getting a Vixen Zoom also for just general bird watching, or is the 20 XW and my Radian 14 all
I'm ever going to want. The Viixen seems like a very reasonably priced Zoom,
and has gotten decent reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back