• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon digiscoping (1 Viewer)

help! i've got a nikon raii.a spotting scope, and now need to buy a new digital camera, so i'm looking to buy a camera that can be used for digiscoping with my scope.

i would like to use the kit day and night, on inspection i've noticed there is a thread to allow attachment to the scope body over an eyepiece, so there must be adaptors available somewhere, also there is a thread at the front end possibly for the attachment of filters? i'm thinking a mylar filter for eclipse photography.

i like the look of the nikon p5100, mostly because i've had a nikon coolpix 3100 and am familiar with the settings operation, and the 5100 is 12 mega pixel which should allow for good quality enlargements.

however i'm prepared to consider any camera of comparable quality/price
if there are plentiful attachments/adaptors for my scope. i'm looking to have maximum options/flexibility.
thanks
steve

Hi Steve and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

I've moved your post to the Digiscoping forum as it will get better attention from the experts that hang out here

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy browsing the forums

D

Hi Steve and welcome to BirdForum.

You could buy adapters to fit Nikon cameras to the RA II scope, but as Nikon are no longer making this scope I do not know if they still produce the adapters... You will be able to use a third party adapter, either universal bracket, or if you go for the P5100 you could get a tube adapter. Any camera with a 3x optical zoom will be fine for digiscoping, buy one with a good quality lens and a decent screen (you need this for focusing). I've got the Nikon P5100 (not that I use it as much as I should) and am very pleased with it.

so tell me what exactly is a tube adaptor? i'm thinking a tube with a thread to suit the scope at one end, and a thread to suit the camara at the other end?
thanks
steve

so tell me what exactly is a tube adaptor? i'm thinking a tube with a thread to suit the scope at one end, and a thread to suit the camara at the other end?
thanks
steve

the tube adapter I use screws into the thread on the P5100 (via the UR-E20), it then slides over the eyepeice, it is a snug fit so I don't use anything to hold it in place. If the adapter is threaded at both ends you'd probably have difficulties in getting the camera level.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back