• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (1 Viewer)

I was at Lockhaugh Farm tonight and viewed 16 Kites coming in to roost. I could only see 1 actually land in a tree as it was quite dark when they came in and fog was coming up off the river. A Kestrel also spent some time close by but the strangest thing was that I thought I had seen the Kestrel fly towards a pylon and then heard what sounded like a fight between two birds which went on for a good few minutes. I thought it was a couple of Kestrels until I got home and checked my photographs which were quite poor because of the light, or lack of it. I then started thinking that I may have heard a couple of Owls fighting as the head of one bird could be an Owl; I've also seen a Tawny very close to here. One poor photo also looks like a Kite although I'm not sure the head photo would back this up.

I would be interested in hearing what others think.

Attachments

• BOP1.jpg
    BOP1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 98
  • BOP4.jpg
    BOP4.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 103
  • BOP5.jpg
    BOP5.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 110
  • BOP2.jpg
    BOP2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 119
  • BOP3.jpg
    BOP3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 113
FoRK New Year Health Walk programme

Happy New Year to anyone willing to get out and walk, even in the snow!

You think this is bad? I remember 1947, 1963, when fifteen-feet drifts were common and there was no public transport for five or six weeks!

Attachments

• Health-Walks-poster-med_web.jpg
    Health-Walks-poster-med_web.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Health-Walk2.jpg
    Health-Walk2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 111
Red Kite Safari

Unfortunately, our last outing, the Roost Watch, had to be cancelled because of adverse weather conditions, but make a note of this date in your diary:

At 10.30a.m. on Saturday, 13th February, a Red kite Safari will leave the Black Horse, Barlow village. The Safari is approximately a two-hour circular walk.

If you're free, do come and join us; FoRK Volunteers and members will be there to help you locate and appreciate the flying skills of these majestic Birds of Prey. Attached is a superb shot taken by Ray Wilby, showing the interaction between two kites.

Attachments

• Ray-Wilby-_BF-IMG_3849aa-co.jpg
    Ray-Wilby-_BF-IMG_3849aa-co.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 118
Robokite

Did anyone see the short clip on TV last evening - where Malcolm ????? has built a model Red Kite and flies it as one would a radio-controlled plane.
It was amazing; almost immediately the kites were approaching Robokite, their curiosity aroused.
I have done several searches, using Google and Copernic, but haven't found anything. Does anyone remember the name or any other fact which could help me identify him?

Great fun to watch, and I think I'll add Robokite to my Birthday wish list!

June
it was on The One Show on BBC1 so you should be able to watch it again on iplayer, maybe get the guy's full name from there. I only caught the latter part of the interview but the footage of the kites interacting with the model was fantastic.

Robokite

June
it was on The One Show on BBC1 so you should be able to watch it again on iplayer, maybe get the guy's full name from there. I only caught the latter part of the interview but the footage of the kites interacting with the model was fantastic.

Thanks, Keith. I'll download the programme and hope I can identify Malcolm or any link to contact him.

Kites can go really high. I remember one hang glider recalling being at 1200 feet with the kites; as he pulled away, they were still going higher. Fantastic!

Saturday sightings of Red Kites

We took a drive round the usual haunts in bright sunshine, hoping the birds would be tempted by the better weather.
We weren't disappointed. Starting at Winlaton, we saw two kites, then moving to Barlow, where one was enjoying a leisurely fly-past, to High Spen, where again one was quartering the fields, then on to the Cemetery gate towards Victoria Garesfield. From here we had an excellent view of five kites in the valley below. From here we drove to Rowlands Gill and at the RG Viaduct four kites were enjoying the thermals. Later we tried our luck at Lockhaugh. Here, too, we witnessed a group of four, by now getting to roosting time perhaps.

Altogether we saw about twenty, and they were flying strongly. Fortunately in the worst of the snowy weather people were putting out food for them. We just hope that all our kites have survived.

We did have an injured juvenile, which was found and taken into rehab. Happily it recovered and was released last week at Gibside, where the Staff are keeping an eye on it. It seems to be settling well with the other kites.

Kite in cage "Let me out!" by Rike Kroner. Kite flying "Great, I'm free again!" by Lauren Withrington

Attachments

• Rike_kiteIMG_3108-copy-2.jpg
    Rike_kiteIMG_3108-copy-2.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Juv-kite_release_web.jpg
    Juv-kite_release_web.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Caring for our Red Kites

Ray of the Kielder Bird of Prey Centre came to Thornley Woods Visitor Centre to give Friends of Red Kites members and Visitor Centre Staff a Talk on the management and handling of birds such as our Red Kites.

This was very appropriate as only a few weeks ago, members of the public found a distressed juvenile Red Kite. Happily, it was rescued, seen by the Vet and after a period in rehab, was released, as seen in the previous message.

We now feel that the necessary measures can be put into place, to enable us to respond to any future emergency.

If you need swift help for a similar emergency regarding our Red Kites, please ring FoRK on 07790085659. Thank you.

Attachments

• BofPreyHandling054BF.jpg
    BofPreyHandling054BF.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 105
Unfortunately, our last outing, the Roost Watch, had to be cancelled because of adverse weather conditions, but make a note of this date in your diary:

At 10.30a.m. on Saturday, 13th February, a Red kite Safari will leave the Black Horse, Barlow village. The Safari is approximately a two-hour circular walk.

If you're free, do come and join us; FoRK Volunteers and members will be there to help you locate and appreciate the flying skills of these majestic Birds of Prey. Attached is a superb shot taken by Ray Wilby, showing the interaction between two kites.

I missed the Safari, for some reason I had it in my head that the start time was 12:30 and didn't realise until 11:00 that I was already 30 minutes too late. I went out on Sunday to make up for it and did see WT15 and WT16 in trees as well as flying about. I didn't see too many Red Kites, 3 was the most that I could see at one time so other sightings could have been the same birds. I have one or two photographs which I will have a look at tomorrow, I don’t expect them to be very good as the light was very poor, at least it stayed dry and was reasonably mild.

I will try to get out and about every weekend now that the days are getting longer.

14 optomistic souls met up at Barlow for the Red Kite Safari on Saturday morning. Once introductions were made and right on cue at 10.30, it started to rain. Undetered we were rewarded with our first sight of a Kite circling even before we had left the car park.

In the grey showery conditions we rather thought that might be our last sighting but as we headed cross country we were lucky to have a great view of an untagged bird on a fence post. Very obligingly it stayed put giving excellent views. We saw the same bird a little further on high in a tree but, apart from a single bird lifting, that was to be the last sighting until back in the village. Here though we were able to watch another Kite circling above Barlow Burn.

The weather improved greatly during the 2hr walk and one brave [mad] member even stripped to his tee shirt! Thanks to our intrepid leader we all had a great outing with lovely views. Oh did I mention the mud?

Kite Safari 13th February 2010

You made it, Alan! Glad that your efforts were not in vain. We can never be sure that the kites will strut their stuff for us!

To see one perched on a post is great - not often that the kites will stay put long enough to take photos. I wonder if anyone did?

FoRK members should by now have received their invitation to a Members' Evening. Hope to see a good number there...................

14 optomistic souls met up at Barlow for the Red Kite Safari on Saturday morning. Once introductions were made and right on cue at 10.30, it started to rain. Undetered we were rewarded with our first sight of a Kite circling even before we had left the car park.

In the grey showery conditions we rather thought that might be our last sighting but as we headed cross country we were lucky to have a great view of an untagged bird on a fence post. Very obligingly it stayed put giving excellent views. We saw the same bird a little further on high in a tree but, apart from a single bird lifting, that was to be the last sighting until back in the village. Here though we were able to watch another Kite circling above Barlow Burn.

The weather improved greatly during the 2hr walk and one brave [mad] member even stripped to his tee shirt! Thanks to our intrepid leader we all had a great outing with lovely views. Oh did I mention the mud?

Friends of Red Kites Safari

...........and here is the proof that these brave souls defied rain, snow and mud to go on Safari!!

Attachments

• Safari_13Feba-copy.jpg
    Safari_13Feba-copy.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Safari-_13-Febb-copy.jpg
    Safari-_13-Febb-copy.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 122
Two red kites found dead

This is sickening news, Alan. Apart from Flash, Wing Tag 10, who was poisoned in the early days of the project, we have had no other trouble.
Clearly someone in the Hexham area doesn't share our love for these majestic birds of prey. Their ignorance beggars belief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post

Sad news today that two of our red kites have been found dead in suspicious circumstances in Northumberland, nothing definite but I for one expect human intervention to be the reason.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8524689.stm

Last edited:
Dead kites

Here is the press release put out by the Police Press Office. copied here with permission.

Appeal after possible animal poisonings in West Tynedale

Dated: 19 Feb 2010

Police are appealing for information after two incidents of possible animal poisoning in West Northumberland.

On Friday, February 12, police received a report from a landowner, in the Steel area of Hexham, that he had found two dead Red Kite birds in a field. The birds were found close to each other and there appeared to be no evidence of any bullet injuries.

Officers from Northumbria police and DEFRA are carrying out enquiries and a post mortem will be carried out to identify what killed the birds.

PC Mick Brown, wildlife crime officer, for West Northumberland said: "This is an unusual incident and it's a possibility that these birds may have been poisoned, as Red Kites have in the past been persecuted. If this is the case then we need to find out who, and how they have done this. Red Kites are a protected species under current legislation and anyone found guilty of killing them can expect a custodial sentence or a heavy fine."

>>>> incident involving ferrets>>>>>>>>>>

PC Brown added: "I'd appeal for anyone who knows anything at all about these incidents to ring us either on the 03456 043 043 number or by contacting myself direct. You don't have to give your name and can remain completely anonymous, the information as to how these animals were poisoned is what's key."

Anyone with any information about the two incidents, or any animal crime in the Northumbria area, is asked to contact police on 03456 043 043 ext 69191 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

You remember our Wing Tag 10, Flash, was poisoned in Tynedale in 2004. The children of Winlaton Primary were devastated and shocked. Although it was extremely sad, the death of Flash highlighted the Project to a far greater degree than we thought possible, so some good came out of his death. The following year the children were given the first kite chick to be brought from the Chilterns Project; they had a competition for a name and the winning choice was Phoenix, which we thought was brilliant! Phoenix is Wing Tag 21.

Shocking news and totally pointless.[/QUOTE

This is sickening news, Alan. Apart from Flash, Wing Tag 10, who was poisoned in the early days of the project, we have had no other trouble.
Clearly someone in the Hexham area doesn't share our love for these majestic birds of prey. Their ignorance beggars belief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post

Sad news today that two of our red kites have been found dead in suspicious circumstances in Northumberland, nothing definite but I for one expect human intervention to be the reason.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8524689.stm

Hi June,
This is very sad indeed,i live near to the Rockingham forest where recently a
Red Kite was found dead.After the initial post mortem ,it was found out to have been shot.:C

Red kites facing danger

Thank you for your message. It seems that, despite all our best efforts, every area in the UK still faces a minority of mindless, ignorant people who are killing these beautiful birds of prey, depriving future generations through their crass and deliberate criminal activity.

Sadly, even if our Wildlife Police Officers bring a case to court, any punishment is not severe enough to deter these people.

Attached are the sad remains of Flash our first year Kite, killed in 2004.

Hi June,
This is very sad indeed,i live near to the Rockingham forest where recently a
Red Kite was found dead.After the initial post mortem ,it was found out to have been shot.:C

Attachments

• Flash---tags-copy.jpg
    Flash---tags-copy.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 106

Thank you for your message. It seems that, despite all our best efforts, every area in the UK still faces a minority of mindless, ignorant people who are killing these beautiful birds of prey, depriving future generations through their crass and deliberate criminal activity.

Sadly, even if our Wildlife Police Officers bring a case to court, any punishment is not severe enough to deter these people.

Attached are the sad remains of Flash our first year Kite, killed in 2004.

Thanks for your reply June.So sorry to read about Flash.
I,m glad your new group is doing so well and the membership seems to be blossoming,its through groups like yours that people get the right message about these wonderful birds.Some people have got the wrong idea about these birds,i was once stopped by a woman,while viewing a red kite near my home,asking what the bird was,i informed her it was a Red Kite,her reply was look at the size of it, wont it eat my cat!!:eek!::eek!:

I would like to see something similar to your group set up in the Rockingham forest area,however i do not know where or how to start to get the ball rolling? or if their is any group already in existence.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Red Kite support group

I had a look at various websites for the Rockingham area - in 2007 there were 400 kites, which is amazing!
But I couldn't find any actual amateur support groups. Our group was initiated when the Northern Kites Project ended in 2009, having had five extremely successful years. We are all volunteers - if you have a look at our website, especially at the Newsletters on the Up-date page, you will see how we have got established and who does what :)
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

But it's not easy, setting up a Friends Group - you need people with skills in different areas e.g. someone as a Chair, another with finance experience, volunteers with expertise in doing Presentations, dealing with the publicity and press side of things and everyone being prepared to go the extra mile.
Monitoring, keeping a database and forwarding the data to groups such as BTO - you can see how the jobs need willing and reliable folk!

Even setting up our Constitution took a long time and then we applied for funding, with all of the requirements that demands. We did in fact get funding from the Lottery fund. That brings with it certain demands e.g. how and where to use their logo.

Only if you already have a group of dedicated people would it appear safe to consider establishing a group.

RSPB talks of the Rockingham area with enthusiasm - maybe this could be a place to begin looking for like-minded bird-lovers?
http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Red-Kite-project-a-soaring.3460741.jp
http://www.northamptonshire.co.uk/archives/00000632.htm

Hope this helps.

June

Thanks for your reply June.So sorry to read about Flash.
I,m glad your new group is doing so well and the membership seems to be blossoming,its through groups like yours that people get the right message about these wonderful birds.Some people have got the wrong idea about these birds,i was once stopped by a woman,while viewing a red kite near my home,asking what the bird was,i informed her it was a Red Kite,her reply was look at the size of it, wont it eat my cat!!:eek!::eek!:

I would like to see something similar to your group set up in the Rockingham forest area,however i do not know where or how to start to get the ball rolling? or if their is any group already in existence.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back