• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts gone (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
:-C My Swifts have gone! ( got a pair nesting in my eaves ). Hav'nt seen hide nor hair, well feather for at least four days. I'm seeing reports of large flocks very high and drifting south, but nothing low dow. It seem very early this year!.

Winters on its way, the Smew will soon be here ( I hope, this year ).

Very few up here as well - since last weekend. Seems very early, however the settled weather we've been having for the past week never seems to suit them. In general it seems to have been a good year with good numbers following the rainclouds throughout the summer and even attracting the occasional Hobby. If we get a few thundery showers over the next day or two it'll be a bit clearer about whether they've had enough of our summer.

Very few up here as well - since last weekend. Seems very early, however the settled weather we've been having for the past week never seems to suit them. In general it seems to have been a good year with good numbers following the rainclouds throughout the summer and even attracting the occasional Hobby. If we get a few thundery showers over the next day or two it'll be a bit clearer about whether they've had enough of our summer.

Ours have gone. I dont think ours even bred in our eaves this year. Will be the first time for 14 years if they didn't.

The 20+ we've had in village this summer now reduced to 5-6 tonight. They'll be gone by the weekend methinks?

Stewart

Yep, much reduced here. (see my post in "Your birding day" today) a single one with House martins then a flock of c100 heading west. (I've noticed they tend to go East - West in Autumn & West - East in Spring !)
But then the weather has been v good for a few days & they tend to feed high up & out of sight during hot clear spells.
H

Birds moving out up here - despite hot sunny days, these last couple of days have seen Swifts in reduced numbers (though still common), plus a lot of White Storks departing, etc

only the odd one or two left here, whereas there were loads screaming everywhere in town just a week or two back.

Quite a few still around in this area.Will be sad to see them depart.But lots of Swallows around ,also House Martins.

Hmm,
Been looking at my old notebooks & this seems to be the earliest year I can find for a general Swift clearout. ( None seen so far today.)
There doesn't appear to be a trend & last year eg. there were "plenty" on the 18th & typically singles well into the twenties of the month.
Interestingly in 1985 on the 20th there were still Swifts in the eaves of my then home, "but otherwise few about".
H
Edit: a few this pm., passing by.

Last edited:
Still a good few where I am, but not as many as there were. House martins have started to gather in large numbers on a nearby farm.

Opened this post read the first line looked out the window to see 10 15 flying about there still in worcestershire

swifts around my home town a bit scarce as well, i dont know if its just me but i get the feeling that autumn migration of birds in general seems to be that bit earlier this year quite a few curlew sands, black storks, spoonbils around some rarer terns etc about and not many of the local migrants about might just be me though

Big Swift passage today here: flocks of 90+, c.30, c.75, and many more through the day, all heading west again.
Plus a second Kingfisher virtually through my garden!!
H

Not seen the local Swifts for a day or two but i have been out and about the last couple of days. I did see House Martins still feeding young in the nest at a craft centre in Chesire today.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back