• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (2 Viewers)

i had excellent views thanks.. its an adult! Its got ghost Herring gull primary pattern, yellow bill, red spot white mantle... I expect a rash of both Glauc and Iceland claims

Alas my camcorder has "improved" the image and made it into a water colour.

Its out resident leucistic Herrring Gull...... or are you going to tell me its an exotic pacific species

Attachments

• SANY0020.jpg
    SANY0020.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Thats interesting as there has been a regular leucistic adult Herring at Richmond Bank this winter, although its not that uncommon an occurrence.Its never seen at Seaforth though.

Last edited:
The Gulls didn't get pushed in by the tide - they just floated off the end of the East Hoyle. Being 2 miles away as well as being Gulls, didn't inspire me.

There was a Greenshank just past the lifeboat station - presumably the one that is regular at Dovepoint - I just can't see it from home!

Long-tailed Tits have found the fat balls.

Attachments

• SANY0008.jpg
    SANY0008.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 99
  • SANY0012.JPG
    SANY0012.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 125
Hi Jane, only had a narrow timescale today so I was only there at lowish tide until 2.20pm but could see lots of big Gulls gathering on the incoming tide.87 PB Brents just off Hilbre visible from Red Rocks , plus RB Merg, Rt Diver etc on sea.....will try again though!

i had excellent views thanks.. its an adult! Its got ghost Herring gull primary pattern, yellow bill, red spot white mantle... I expect a rash of both Glauc and Iceland claims

Alas my camcorder has "improved" the image and made it into a water colour.

Its out resident leucistic Herrring Gull...... or are you going to tell me its an exotic pacific species

Here's one I made earlier........:t:

Attachments

• leucistic Herring.jpg
    leucistic Herring.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 329
Plenty of Gulls again today. Once more I failed to find anything much in them - just a single adult Yellow-legged Gull. I'm sure its my Larophobia holding me back. I'm guessing at 6-7000 out there - based on 16 scope fulls of about 400. With most of them facing me and very bright light, it wan't easy to pick out variations in mantle colour today. Tomorrow I'm working, but I reckon the height of the tide would have them just right! Plenty of grebes, divers and duck out there still.

Attachments

• part of gull flock.JPG
    part of gull flock.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN0183.JPG
    DSCN0183.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0184.JPG
    DSCN0184.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN0185.JPG
    DSCN0185.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 119
Hi Jane, I had an adult Caspian Gull at Crosby marina yesterday which after a few minutes flew out to the river and could have conceivably joined the throng at your place.A large individual with a big bill, probably a male.Checked again today but very few big Gulls, clearly you had them all.

I couldn't see 95% of the flock well - the ones out on the sea. I wasted a good 50 mins on a huge and dark LBBG that was head on and a good 3cm taller than the gaggle of Herring Gulls ahead of it.

View attachment 306725This has got an interesting primary pattern, seemingly all white tip to p10 and what looks like black markings on p5.Bill looks a bit bright though, but would have liked to have seen it closer!

Last edited:
It`s a tough one that.The black may only go as far as P6 but its difficult to say.The outer primary certainly seems to be all white tipped which would be unusual for an argenteus but not of course for an "argie"...but it looks too white headed for one of those, I haven`t seen a summer plumaged argie yet ( next few weeks) and does the eye look dark and isolated?.....intriguing....looks like I`ll be on the train over tomorrow!

Well to add to your interest... my "Yellow-legged Gull", was ID'd on the water but almost immediately flew (3000 in the air at once) I tracked it coming in and saw where it landed (and photographed the spot). It wasn't long legged and was square headed. I failed to find it, but they all went up again well before I'd worked through them.

As you know, I'm crap at this!

I am seeing a little black beyond the mirror on P10, but black on P6. The head & bill does indeed look like the bird I had as YLG

Attachments

• gull.JPG
    gull.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
More gull torture today and one I have trouble putting a name too (more soon). A nice flock of 120 or so Bar-wits, part of the flock below, along with a blizzard of gulls.

Attachments

• SANY0011.JPG
    SANY0011.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0199.JPG
    DSCN0199.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN0198.JPG
    DSCN0198.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0196.JPG
    DSCN0196.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN0195.JPG
    DSCN0195.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 96
Now for my troublesome gull. A small bird, smaller than all but the smallest LBBG. Dark backed - darker than Common gull. Long winged, very short legged, what appeared to be rather a lot of black in the wing tips. One smallish mirror. It held its wings low and had a lot of head streaking.

Attachments

• DSCN0190.JPG
    DSCN0190.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN0193.JPG
    DSCN0193.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0189.JPG
    DSCN0189.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN0191.JPG
    DSCN0191.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN0192.jpg
    DSCN0192.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back