• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

Swift said:
Jane, do you tend to go about or did you with a tall gangly scouse gentleman?

er no not usually. I was flocking briefly with Mark Garner on Friday...who could be described as tall, arguably gangly and is in possession of a regional accent!

Added Whimbrel today...tomorrow I think I'll do a day list. It seems that we were about 50 miles or 4 hours off a mjor fall today - >1000 Willow Warblers on Bardsey. I'm expecting a nice flush of migrants in the morning. I didn't try and find the Hoopoe today - and it seems it was not reported by anyone. I bet it just moved fields again.

Last edited:
I feel slightly cheated - someone around here will have had a fall, but it not here. Just a couple of Goldcrests feeding avidly on insects on the newly sprouting Rowan and a Blackcap moved through the front.

Compensation however came in the form of a Great Spotted Woodpecker which flew East high. I'm a long way from any mature woodland so GSW is strictly a dispersal species and not a common one at that. My 6th ever and first spring record. 79 for the year

Jane,

No Osprey on this bit of coast but 3 Shovelers over the sea, which I couldn't see on your year list on a quick scan. They actually pitched down before they got to South Pier to the north.

Stephen.

For reasons that make no sense whatsoever, the sea is a hive of activity just now. The wind is in the wrong direction and there is no tide!

So far I have seen a summer plumage BT diver, Razorbill, Arctic and Common tern, both new for the year Scoter, Gannets, loads of Sandwich Terns and an early Manxie. Have some accounts to finish then I'll be staring at the sea again!

Also though I saw a Puffin, but it ditched before I got enough on it. Might have a chance of a small grebe later on the tide :)

83 for the year!

Added two new species this morning, Merlin and Tree Pipit. (85 for year) There have been a few Siskins bathing in the stream, and like last night the beach is awash with White Wagtails. I'm just charging up the camera battery and will have a crack at photographing them shortly. The light is not good, but watch this space :)

OK..here goes. It was windy, dull and these things are like clockwork mice on speed. I didn't get one decent shot without them moving and you wouldn't believe the number of pin sharp shots of bare sand I have! There are 75 or more out there now, but still no Yellow Wagtails.

Some have quite silvery-grey flanks, but they all sound like Whites. Once again I was stuck by how much more energetic and prone to losing control of their tails White Wags are compared to the resident Pieds. Has anyone else notice this?

Attachments

• ww1.JPG
    ww1.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 298
  • ww2.JPG
    ww2.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 113
  • ww3.JPG
    ww3.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 126
  • ww4.JPG
    ww4.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 324
  • BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 491
Hi Jane,
Just joined and thought I would make my first post on your thread. We too have a wonderful garden for birds, though not up to your sort of totals yet. We overlook the inner Eden estuary in Fife (hence the username) and the list stands at 126 since 29/11/02. I think our year total is 84 so I'd better find something new tonight to catch up with you.
Highlights in no particular order include:
smew, water pipit (Scottish rarity!), med. gull, 6 goose spp. including brent, barnacle and white-fronted, long-tailed duck, osprey, little stint, jack snipe, spotted redshank, little tern, kingfisher, waxwing ...
Recent star addition - 4 avocets which hung around for 10 days.
Most gutting dip - Fife's first American golden plover which was seen while we were away last September.

Anyway I enjoy reading about your sightings, might start a thread of my own ...

Rob

I think you'd win!
Open sea is a long way away (though have managed gannet and common scoter) and we don't get many passerine migrants ...

Jane Turner said:
OK..here goes. It was windy, dull and these things are like clockwork mice on speed. I didn't get one decent shot without them moving and you wouldn't believe the number of pin sharp shots of bare sand I have! There are 75 or more out there now, but still no Yellow Wagtails.

?
Yellow Wags are the same, Seen them 3 times in the last week. Think I've got some cracking shots and , just grass, or a yellow blur, or a tail just going out of shot, or, it stays in the frame, its out of focus. Tonight I got a couple of reasonable shots at about 40 yards.

Attachments

• Yellow Wag 1 320x240.jpg
    Yellow Wag 1 320x240.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Yellow Wag 320x240.jpg
    Yellow Wag 320x240.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 99
Nice Yellow Wags... it funny they are pretty scarce here and we get a disproportionate number of "other" races.

More mobile White Wags - this time from a video!

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
The Yellow Wags pass thru my patch each spring, Last year I saw none, this year so far 8. Six of them at one time! didn't know where to look first!. I get plenty of Pied Wags, there were 16 of them with this Yellow. We had one white Wag with the Pieds last year but not seen any this year so far. Regularly get Greys down near the stream and occaisionally in this field after heavy rain.
You are one lucky lady to have all of that on your doorstep" so to speak".

41 species so far this morning. There are at least 100 White Wagtails about - earlier I had 75 on the beach at Red Rocks (towards West Kirby) and 30+ in front of the house. Just done a sweep and there are currently 89 +/- a few in front of the house. Still no Yellow Wagtails, but Tree Pipit over, a Whimbrel calling away and both Mute Swan and Mediterranean Gull (smart summer adult) new for the year. 87 so far!

Oh and of the 8 or so Wheatears I can see, a couple of the males are looking big and brown - the first Greenlandish ones of the year. Perhaps they are bound for Iceland?

88... and most unexpected! I was idling ,looking at the sea and thought I'd picked up a Leach's Petrel ... a dark long winged bird surface feeding off the buoy. A mad dash upstairs to the open window and a better scope revealed that it was a summer plumage Black Tern! How early is that!

There are 100+ White Wags here and a similar number at Seaforth...and presumably all points in between.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back