• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Birding & Photo help (1 Viewer)

Julian H

A few of us will be birding the Gulf Coast from April 3rd-7th and have recieved some help from local Texas birders.

We'll be hitting several spots for the specialties but since time is short, I'm trying to nail down some species.
I wondered if anyone has any good sites for Audubon's Oriole in The Sabal Palm area or along Route 77 between Corpus and Brownsville??

Also, since I'm keen to do some photography, I wondered if anyone can share some spots where birds may be co-operative in the Aransas area. I heard that the boardwalks at Paradise Pond and the jetties around the Port Aransas ferry are good. I believe
ALso, the flooded areas around Victoria are often good for shorebirds, but since I hear Texas is experiencing a drought right now I assume these areas may be devoid of water and thus not conducive for photography???

Best,

Julian Hough

Audubon's Oriole is almost never present in the Corpus/Brownsville corridor. In fact, it's more likely near San Antonio than so near the coast. Your best bet is Salineno, at the former DeWind encampment (it's mentioned in the ABA guide to the Rio Grande Valley).

Photography opportunities are good at the spots you mentioned; additionally, Laguna Atascosa, Sabal Palm, Santa Ana, Bentsen, Anzalduas County Park, and Salineno all offer good setups, at feeding stations and in the wild.

There are several private ranches that allow photographers to shoot on their properties, on a pay-to-play basis (usually about $150/day). Steve Bentsen has such a setup, and Arthur Morris has mentioned several ranches in his emailings.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. My direct email is sgross77 AT comcast.net

Steve,

Thanks a lot. Given the time, we're not going further east/south than Sabal Palm, but should see some good stuff. Thanks for the Audubon's info.

Julian

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back