• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (2 Viewers)

That's not a few, that's a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you live on some kind of migration hotspot, or is that just a fairly normal garden list for your location? Some good birds ... along with the Orange-crowned too ...

No, I don't live on any migration hotspot. I just spend a good amount of time looking. It is probably a fairly normal yard list for my location, more or less. The main thing is knowing the weather and when to look.

Two additions from today:
115. Wood Thrush
116. Lincoln's Sparrow

Moved into our new house on 12th April 2012. Our house is in Wulagi, Darwin NT. Garden is paved with palms and some scrub around the edge.
List is everything heard or seen from within the garden - but as I have only been living in Austalia for seven weeks there are several species that I can hear calling but still have not got my ear in so am not certain as to what they are, bird song never my strongest point.
The list currently stands at 24 - majority are fly overs:
Australian Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Black Kite
Whistling Kite
White-bellied Sea-Eagle
Gray Goshawk
Brown Goshawk
Collared Sparrowhawk
Bush Thick-knee - heard only
Bar-shouldered Dove
Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet
Rainbow Bee-eater
Brown Honeyeater
White-gaped Honeyeater
Silver-crowned Friarbird
Rufous-banded Honeyeater
White-breasted Woodswallow
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike
Australian Figbird
Magpie-lark
Torresian Crow
Tree Martin

Labanoras.

Sunday, a last day of warm sunshine before temperatures shuddered downwards in asprial to a mere 8 C today. Still incoming migrants, including two very nice Golden Orioles on offer this day, a swirl of Black Terns flying over from a nearby lake, plus my first Swifts, Garden Warbler and Thrush Nightingale at this location this year.
Sedge Warblers also arrived, reoccupying territory colonised last year in reedbeds growing up in former forest-zone cleared by Beavers.

Also added Tree Sparrow, a pair in a nestbox tucked up behind a stork nest (they are usually in the stork nest, but that is occupied by the rarer House Sparrows this year). Another rarely observed bird here, a Feral Pigeon put in a surprise appearance, one waddling about.

Star of the day however, a nice complement to Pied and Spotted Flycatchers singing alongside, was a rather showy Red-breasted Flycatcher. Not easy to find in Lithuania, the swampy forest on my land is just about perfect habitat - but even here, I can't be sure I will find them in any given year. This year's bird is singing on a territory held by another bird in 2010 (that being the only previous occasion that I actually found a territory).

93. Black Tern
94. Feral Pigeon
95. Swift
96. Thrush Nightingale
97. Sedge Warbler
98. Garden Warbler
99. Red-breasted Flycatcher
100. Tree Sparrow

Also my first Swallowtail of the year, Short-tailed Blue and a good bunch of Map Butterflies, Orange Tips, etc.

Last edited:
Back from my hols in Taiwan and immediately had a new bird for the list: Rufous Owl calling from up the road. Very nice addition and glad they've come a bit closer to the house!

82) Rufous Owl.

Still languishing on 62...however Hawfinch, Bullfinch and Starling all in since the 4th of May..put me on 36 in and 26 out.

Still in France ...

12/05/2012

59) Hoopoe 2
60) Nightingale (h)

Mum had reported hearing Hoopoe a couple of times the last few mornings, but between the Collared Doves and distant Cuckoos I have to admit being a bit doubtful. Wrong of course, as suddenly one started up nearby, landing in one of the pine trees. Two chasing around later as we had lunch.

Nightingale singing from the other side of the river c. midnight when went out to check a bonfire we'd been having had died down (thought I'd heard one in the daytimes previous, but over traffic noise, the frogs and other birdsong a bit awkward.)

Pretty sure I heard Bee-eater briefly earlier in the week too, but lots of potential mimics and other stuff and so left it. Two days to go this visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back