• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making a Beanbag (1 Viewer)

schiff

I'm planning to make a beanbag and was wondering if anyone has any info or suggestions? Patterns/Plans? Any shapes that are better than others? Ideal surface size and and thickness? Does it need to be absorbant due to persperation while using? And any other considerations?

I've never used one, but thought it would have more flexibilty than a table top tripod. I've been also giving thought to supporting the camera lense from the top as well as underneath, possibly by a velcro strap.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Hi schiff,

I've had no experience making small bean-bags, although I have (many years ago) made a large one, and the only tricky thing about it was getting the amount of stuffing right.

Having said that, and whilst I don't want to dissuade you from being creative, I would've thought that a small bean-bag would be much easier simply to buy... probably from a child's toy shop, although I confess I haven't seen any for sale.

I've never used a bean-bag in preference to table-top tripod, but the tripods are nest to useless in my experience.

Will you use this bean-bag for photographing/digiscoping from your car? I can certainly see the benefit. However, if you are going to use it for taking pix from on top of, say, a large rock, then consider also anything you may already have, like a sweater or a ruck-sack.

Anyway, all the best :t:

They are easy enough to make, so if anyone comes up with some thoughts on dimensions, I'll be threading up the sewing machine and getting on with one. I imagine the amount of filling to be used will have to be judged by trial and error - perhaps I should put a zip in the side???????

Hi Schiff

I`ve just recieved a double bean bag,from one of our banner advertisers(warehouseexpress.com)I chose the unfilled version & simply filled it with a couple of bags of rice.Hope this helps.

Regards Steve.

stevo said:
Hi Schiff

I`ve just recieved a double bean bag,from one of our banner advertisers(warehouseexpress.com)I chose the unfilled version & simply filled it with a couple of bags of rice.Hope this helps.

Regards Steve.
Yes, I forgot that www.warehouseexpress.com sell the wildlifewatching gear. My bean bag spends a lot of time on top of my lens to reduce mirror slap, they make for comfy little cushions as well.

Andy Bright said:
Yes, I forgot that www.warehouseexpress.com sell the wildlifewatching gear. My bean bag spends a lot of time on top of my lens to reduce mirror slap, they make for comfy little cushions as well.

In my experience table top tripods are rubbish. A decent beanbag 6" by 6" or bigger will do a much better job as a camera support.

The Wildlife Watching Supplies bags are excellent but mine absorbs rain and damp. I seem to remember it was significantly cheaper to buy from the WWS website? Mine has lasted years.

schiff said:
I'm planning to make a beanbag and was wondering if anyone has any info or suggestions? Patterns/Plans? Any shapes that are better than others? Ideal surface size and and thickness? Does it need to be absorbant due to persperation while using? And any other considerations?

I've never used one, but thought it would have more flexibilty than a table top tripod. I've been also giving thought to supporting the camera lense from the top as well as underneath, possibly by a velcro strap.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob
I have just made a large bean bag using tic beans I purchased 3 kilo for a couple of quid. I filled a 12 X 12 inch cloth bag inside a cushion cover. I have only tested this a couple of times for digiscoping instead of using the tripod and it worked just great resting the bag on the car door window. I yet have to test this from a hide window ledge. I made this for Killingholme Haven hide which has a very unstable floor any movement is transmitted to the tripod legs. This supports the swaro AT80/Nikon 995 ok but I am still undergoing tests.

Roy.

RoyH said:
Hi Bob
I have just made a large bean bag using tic beans I purchased 3 kilo for a couple of quid. I filled a 12 X 12 inch cloth bag inside a cushion cover. I have only tested this a couple of times for digiscoping instead of using the tripod and it worked just great resting the bag on the car door window. I yet have to test this from a hide window ledge. I made this for Killingholme Haven hide which has a very unstable floor any movement is transmitted to the tripod legs. This supports the swaro AT80/Nikon 995 ok but I am still undergoing tests.

Roy.

Thanks for the idea Roy. I never thought of using a cushion cover. That opens up lots of possibilities.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back