• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon MC-EU1 remote (1 Viewer)

Tannin I have no idea if such a thing is available in Australia but in the UK you can get a small bracket to enable the use of a standard mechanical release. It certainly gives you more consistent control though no zoom feature etc.

Rich

That's the other thing I'm pondering, Richard. I have not seen them advertised here and a couple of vague enquiries didn't turn anything up. But for small items, mail order from the UK is no problem. (Though I would not mail order, say, a scope or a camera.) But not if I have to remove it to change the battery.

Thanks for the thought.

(Resolves to self: really, really give the Nikon one another try this weekend, so you can make some decisions soon.)

I have been using the mc-eu1 for about 6 months now.

Once you have got used to its annoying little quirks such as fit the remote before you switch on the camera, after you switch on camera remember to press remote shutter button.

This will get the thing up and working, I also found that if you had the camera set on a short shutdown time i.e. 5 mins you have to switch off camera and start again. I have now set mine to the longest time poss 30 mins I think.

You have to be careful not to pull the lead out otherwise its start again.

So far mine has worked well with no problems.

Pete

I am interested in the comments on the Nikon remote release as mine, purchased in May this year, died on thurs. I can`t remember if I did, but would disconnecting the lead while the camera is switched on have any lasting effect , as on rereading the instructions I see it can cause a "malfunction".

Gallus said:
Hi
............. it has this habit of freezing after you have fired of a few shots has anyone an explanation for this

Stuart Healy (who earns his living birding:t: ) discusses this at some length on his web site. It appears to be most prevelant using large capacity (ie. slow) Compact Flash cards. He has gone to 16x 128s which has apparently alleviated but not solve the problem. (I just bought a PQI 40x 128 — we'll see.)

The problem seems to occur when some setting on the camera is changed which evidently causes an interupt in the communications. It can only be corrected by re-booting. He has contacted Nikon, but the problem has not been resolved.

The Nikon mc-eu1 really is a piece of junk. I never use the zoom feature because sometimes it sticks, zooming all the way to the end of the digital zoom, then it freezes up. Every time I use it I have worry about it not working. Also, the jack on my first cp4500 came loose after a month of use, so I can't even use the remote cord on that one. I machined a bracket to hold the cord to prevent stress on connector jack on my second cp4500.

Last edited:
My remote MC-EU1, finaly quit working and was replaced under warrantee, than suddenly the camera USB port stopped working even with the dowload cable.. in the end the camera was send by the store to the Nikon repair depot, the circuit board had to be replaced as the part sticking out in the socket had 2 broken traces due to the constant bending of the remote attached to it.
The repairs was costly and no camera for 3 weeks plus, however returned and repaired, improved as also the firmware was upgraded and now I get even the RAW mode which i never had before even with the 1.7 firmware I had installed.
Conclusion, I will not use the Nikon remote and keep using my home brew mechanical release.... now I am fabricating a bracket to slip into the flash hot shoe=battery compartment will be available at will ..
cheers
Walther
www.walther-loff.com

I really can`t understand why this remote release is still being sold,after all the negative feedback it`s been getting from users.Why it hasn`t been recalled until & a new one is designed,a company of this size should be able to come up with a remote release that is reliable.Other camera manufacturers have electronic release cables that work & don`t cost nearly as much.

Regards Steve(rant over)

mc-eu1failed - broken jack?

Hi all

I am a Nikon 8700 owner and have recently had my remote fail on me - or so I thought. Reading the past comments made me think it was the remote but I recently brought this to Jessops (UK camera supplier) and tried my remote on one of their 8700s. It worked - or that is the 8700 recognised the presence of the remote cable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be damage caused to the remote jack on the camera by having carried the camera with the remote attached? I'm a bit scr**ed if this is the case as I bought the camera in NY but live in the UK. I've just discovered Nikon warrenty coverage is not international - maddness in a world of global economy.

Is it possible to order a replacement jack from Nikon (in order to repair myself)? I need the camera for work so I'm loath to loose it for what will amount to a months time.

All advice appreciated
Steiner

The usb ports on most of these cameras are rather fragile and frequent plugging/unplugging isn't wise.
You can get your camera fixed at a repair centre but it will cost. I don't think Nikon will send out anything for you to d.i.y.
Reagards,
Andy

I had a CP 885 and the USB port failed. The price to repair was nearly as much as a new 885 so I didn't bother and bought a CP4500 instead.

The 885 still works fine and I download pics with a card reader. It is quite useful to put in your pocket for non digiscoping use.

peteh said:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good place to buy one of these remotes from?
(The cheapest ive seen is on ebay at 54 pound + 20 pound shipping!!! from the USA.)

Thanks
Pete.
Hi Pete: I'm brand new to digiscoping, and after reading a couple of hundred posts in this forum, decided to see if there were still some cp4500 out there. Ran a YAHOO search, and ordered one yesterday from "Smile Photo Video.com" for 314.95 USD. Also ordered the remote for 84.95 USD. I'm about as far from New York as you guys and my shipping was ca. 25 USD.
Once I get them in hand I'll be back here for all kinds of help.

Craig

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back