• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Removing cotton/thread from inside a camera (1 Viewer)

More likely to be on the sensor I would think. A repair likely is more expensive than changing to a newer camera?

Niels

top left and bottom right of picture is a mess so think it is time to read the last rites to that lens

It is not the lens, I tried it on a different camera (EOS 550D) and it was fine. Sadly the ring flash does not reliably work with the other camera.

More likely to be on the sensor I would think. A repair likely is more expensive than changing to a newer camera?

Niels

I won't be paying for a repair as I realize that it is not worth it. I have a 550D but because I like having two lens (one macro one bird) I would like to have 2 cameras at the same time.
Any ideas on how to repair it?

There used to be a kit for purchase with some tape that could be used to lift dust and other stuff off the sensor. Given the age of the camera it might be worth a try? do a search to see if these can still be purchased somewhere (disclaimer: I have never used one of these, only read about them).

Niels

there is no way i would spend that amount on a canon 350d as it is to old and more modern cameras can be picked up for that money

I agree but the equipment can be used more than once, so it more £100 on repairing this camera and in future other cameras. In 2012 I was in holiday in Colombia and I got dust on the sensor and wasted 3 days getting it fixed (which was more of a pain than the cost).
The question is
a) can I fix this
b) if I can what are the chances that it happens again (i.e the chance the equipment will cost less per use).
I will try to see if I can fix the photos which might be the cheapest short term solution.

Last edited:
Looks like something is growing on the sensor. Stuff on or in the lens wouldn't be in focus like that.

I would try a wet cleaning of the sensor and see if that makes a difference. If nothing moves the stuff is likely not on the exposed surface but between antialias/IR filter and sensor and you can write off the camera.

For wet cleaning you should be able to get some sensor wipes/swaps in a camera store (local store has them for $30/4 or $50/12) , go fully DIY with some methanol and pec pads (aka copperhill method ~$20 for 100+), or have it done in a camera store (local stores here charge ~$50 for it) .....

Don't be afraid to scratch the sensor as in your case things can hardly get any worse than present.

Ulli

Looks like something is growing on the sensor. Stuff on or in the lens wouldn't be in focus like that.

I would try a wet cleaning of the sensor and see if that makes a difference. If nothing moves the stuff is likely not on the exposed surface but between antialias/IR filter and sensor and you can write off the camera.

For wet cleaning you should be able to get some sensor wipes/swaps in a camera store (local store has them for $30/4 or $50/12) , go fully DIY with some methanol and pec pads (aka copperhill method ~$20 for 100+), or have it done in a camera store (local stores here charge ~$50 for it) .....

Don't be afraid to scratch the sensor as in your case things can hardly get any worse than present.

Ulli
Do you mean something like this?
https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/...-10/997-010A?gclid=CP6VzZfw3cgCFQq3Gwod5_sAZg

I find the Eclipse fluid very good for sensor cleaning with DigiPads - unfortunately the DigiPads don't seem to be available anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back