• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ10/TCON17 combo not focusing (1 Viewer)

aomcm

Hi,

I am testing my FZ10 with the Olympus TCON17 teleconverter attached via the permaraal adapter. Today I took a number of test pictures in bright sunlight and none of them focused correctly. I removed the teleconverter and got very good focus. Most of the test shots were shot between f2.8 and f4.0 to keep shutter speed high at iso 50 (several had shutter speeds over 1/1000). Subjects were at up to 50 feet away.

Is there a trick to making this combo work that I have not discovered?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Mike

I've used the exact same combination myself before moving onto the FZ20 using the same adapter and converter and never had any problems.

Using the converter does cause some softening of the image but results are still usable and in ideal conditions with a subject within 20' on a bright sunny day with the sun behind you and an aperture of at least f8 the results are on a apr with the lens alone.

Has the converter been tried on another camera to make sure something isn't out of alignment? Whilst I think it's unlikely there'll be a problem with it, it's about the only thing I can think of.

I'm inclined to suggest try using manual focus but I seem to recall it asn't the simplest of things to do with the FZ10 and was one of the reasons I moved to the FZ20 whihc was far easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back