• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Way to power cp4500? (1 Viewer)

Best Way To Add Shooting Time To CP4500?

Hi,

Having two EN-EL1 batteries, one a Nikon, the other generic, for my cp4500, gives me about 4-5 hours shooting time.

Whats the best way of adding shooting time to my days out? Is it to buy more batteries, or is there an another way?

Any help appreciated,

thanks,

tracker

Last edited:
You're doing very well to get that much life out of your 2 batteries, although it's dependant on how you use your camera during the day...having it all switched on, monitor alive for long periods will drain the batteries far quicker than having it on for 5 mins ever 20 mins or so.

At a guess, just one more battery should see you through most days in the field.... which would make more sense than buying an external power supply.

No real tips for conserving battery power other than switching the monitor off whenever you can.

Andy Bright said:
At a guess, just one more battery should see you through most days in the field.... which would make more sense than buying an external power supply.

Thanks Andy.
I reckoned one more, maybe two, for a longer stay out.
Ive seen some batteries on ebay for around the £8-£9.00 mark. Was considering purchasing a couple.
Anyone had any experience with the cp4500 batteries from ebay?

Thanks,

tracker

Tracker I use the Maplins power pack for digital cameras(iam sure someone will come up with the part no.)it cost £30 and is superb last about the same as 3 batteries.The lead they supply is rather short(its suposed to attach to the tripod socket on the camera),But i attach mine to the tripod handle(Manfrotto 128) its just long enough.Seveal digiscopers on this site use the Maplins power pack for a 4500 i think its Li-ion battery kit ec-702

Sounds interesting, Ragna. Is this something that plugs into the cp4500 whilst your outdoors, and powers it?

I use the Manfrotto 128RCNAT tripod

tracker

tracker said:
Sounds interesting, Ragna. Is this something that plugs into the cp4500 whilst your outdoors, and powers it?

I use the Manfrotto 128RCNAT tripod

tracker

I think the best solution here is the Digipower DPS-9000 battery, which also fits into the camera tripod socket. It costs less than $40 and packs a good amount of power. It's rechargeable in your car cigarette lighter socket.

I've got the Maplins one and am pleased so far...

I used it last weekend and a birding trip from 10:00 - 16:00 seemed to use about 60% of its capacity.

I was turning it off and on though...

It cost £29.99 (I think) and comes with a mains and car charger.

Tracker .Yes its designed to screw into the 4500s tripod socket, but as i use a cable release (jessops)i attach it via velcro strips to the handle of my tripod head(same as yours).You can buy these in B&Q they come in different colours and are about 6 inches x1/2 inch about £3.This work ok and i find balances the camera better.This relly is a good item for the price.Also have a Powerex battery pack this cost £60 but is not as powerfull so dosnt last as long and i now only use this as backup.

Tracker i keep this fixed to the handle all the time when out as it saves a few seconds and i only have to then attach the camera.Its not waterproof but if it rain only takes a second to unfasten and stick it in my pocket.

Thanks for the explanation and recommendation, Graham.....much appreciated....... :t:

I also hope some of the magic of your amazing shots may just rub off onto me too.......... ;)

tracker

Last edited:
I invested in extra batteries ,Tracker,no extra bits to carry around,and they do charge quite quickly.But I should be wary of buying cheap imports from e-bay and the such like.
Also,Tracker,thankyou for your lovely comment re my Swan,very much appreciated.

Well, the swan picture is beautiful, Christine. I bet you were pleased with that?

Sadly, i have just ordered a couple of those batteries from ebay......so i shall have to see how effective they are.

Thanks for your warning, all the same.......... ;)

tracker

tracker said:
Hi,

Having two EN-EL1 batteries, one a Nikon, the other generic, for my cp4500, gives me about 4-5 hours shooting time.

Whats the best way of adding shooting time to my days out? Is it to buy more batteries, or is there an another way?

Any help appreciated,

thanks,

tracker

mundane advice and you probably know of it - but keep batteries, if possible, in a pocket where they will be warm - this time of year the temperatures can lead to rapid depletion - chilly hides and a camera mounted in a scope leads to cold batteries which deplete quite quickly - I shoot Nikon digityal slr and have taken to keeping the spares in a shirt pocket.... prior to that they were in the camera bag in an easy to access pocket - but too nicely chilled

powerpack ideas sound interesting - not sure re warranty and integrity of the current derived from these....

Very good advice, on keeping the batteries as warm as possible, bubbles, thanks. I have noticed that the colder the day, the quicker i go through them. I keep mine in the camera case/bag......maybe moving them to a shirt pocket could be a good move. Thanks again......... :t:

tracker

Warehouse Express have a Uniross battery and 64mb memory card package for £15 at the moment. It looks like it is supposed to be a one-off offer when you buy the camera, but I ordered three sets and they sent them, no problem! That's three batteries and three 64mb cards for £45......

Chris

I couldnt find the item referred to by Chris. Thanks for the suggestion, though Chris.

Will have a look at the 7dayshop too. Thanks Reader

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back