• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New canon camera (1 Viewer)

davholla

I am thinking of replacing my 350 EOS D. I have the following Tamron 150-600 mm, Canon EPS 60 mm macro, Canon MP-E 65 mm and a kit lens.
I also have a 550 EOS D (so a new camera would not have to be compatible with all of them).
I mainly take bird/wildlife photos although I do take some family photos and videos.
I am thinking of either 2nd hand Canon 5D Mk II or a new 70D/6D or 7 d mark II any thoughts?

For family photos each would suffice

For family video either the 70D or 7D mkii would do due to the dual pixel AF but you would have to use a lens with STM for the smooth focusing

BIF I would plump for the 7D mkii - never tried one but if the AF is good as it is reported to be by those who haven't had problems then it will beat the others hands down

For smooth, noise free images it would be the 6D or 5D mkii but I don't believe they have the AF speed of the 7D mkii

Not claiming expertise but you haven't had any replies so offering my limited help. I use a 70D and SX50 both of which have articulated screens, the 70D's being touch too. As an enthusiastic amateur who is a bit slapdash in his approach, I have hours of fun with my cameras, hard as I try I am not going to make it as a pro, but every now and then I get a good shot or video - nothing that the BBC would broadcast but satisfying to me.

But I did abandon my 350D when I picked up a 40D several years back - it's under a pile of junk in the corner still not far from where the 40D now rests. Whichever of those cameras you choose it will be a big step up from the 350D and the 550D in build and ergonomics. I don't know what the 550's sensor is like but they will all improve on that too.

Paul

I am thinking of replacing my 350 EOS D. I have the following Tamron 150-600 mm, Canon EPS 60 mm macro, Canon MP-E 65 mm and a kit lens.
I also have a 550 EOS D (so a new camera would not have to be compatible with all of them).
I mainly take bird/wildlife photos although I do take some family photos and videos.
I am thinking of either 2nd hand Canon 5D Mk II or a new 70D/6D or 7 d mark II any thoughts?

The 5D Mk2 would be nice but is not compatible with all your lenses - Kit lens and EFS 60mm, also the frame rate and AF are not ideal for wildlife. It's a great portrait/landscape camera but not the best for the likes of wildlife.
In your case I would suggest that the 7D Mk2 is the best (but most expensive) choice. This is a Pro level camera with an APSC sensor and EFS mount so is fully compatible with all your current kit. It has excellent AF (this will be a revelation after your current cameras) and 10 frames per second when you need it. The 70D would be very nice too but the 7D2 is the more capable of the 2.
I cannot comment on video as I don't even know how to turn it on on my camera!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back